If you're an atheist should you not at least believe in aliens?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Given that there are, what, 500,000,000,000 stars in just our galaxy and there are probably well more than 200,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe.

If you're an atheist, you usually dont just "believe" in things. You need some sort of proof.

Since there is no proof, or any reasonable evidence pointing towards it, I'd have to say absolutely not.

Circumstantial evidence for aliens is no different than circumstantial evidence for a deity.

Logic suggests aliens have a high probability of existing, not so true the other way.

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: JSFLY
Given that there are, what, 500,000,000,000 stars in just our galaxy and there are probably well more than 200,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe.

Actually I think atheists are more apt to believe that aliens exist than christians.

Simply because the existance of aliens would weaken the "we were created in god's image, we are special... blah blah blah" theory that christians tend to believe.

If you're an christian should you not at least believe in aliens?
Why would god bother to create billions and billions of galaxies with billions of stars with planets and then only populate one little planet on the outskirts of one little galaxy?

...oh wait.... let me guess. 'God works in mysterious ways?'

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
Originally posted by: gwarbot
Originally posted by: iskim86

of course i believe in aliens. simple organisms on far away planets with water. they're considered aliens too.

Ok, I oficially believe in aliens. Look at mars, and doom3. Yup im convinced.

um I was basing my post on "E.T." but whatever man.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
What do aliens have to do with faith?

Nothing, he's just baiting. Any person of any faith, or lack thereof, could reasonably "believe" in aliens (or certainly the possibility of them).