if you're a gamer, is there any point to buying a P4 over an Athlon64?

acejj26

Dec 15, 1999
besides cost concern, if you are buying a computer right now for gaming, is there any sense in buying a S478 P4 over a S754 A64 based system? it seems to me like that A64 ranges from equivalent to far superior over the P4 for gaming. your guys thoughts??

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Alliances...Most people buy gaming machines from a dealer...ie. dell (sadly enough)
Convince the US's leading PC maker then they will have gaming machines based on the best technology.

acejj26

Dec 15, 1999
gaming pc from dell....that's pretty funny

anyways, i was kind of aiming this towards those of us who build our own....anyone have any ideas?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
ugh...dell does make gaming rigs...why would they offer 9800's with the systems, it is a major market for them, i actually think they are making a gaming laptop with a p4ee in it.

but ur other question:

they still falsly believe that intel is more stable.
they are too stubborn to use amd machines.
they do more than gaming -> ie game and media encode.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
The only thing I would consider is the A64 3000. On the new boards they overclock very easily even with a top lock mulitplyer. So it will be like getting a 3.4 or even a 3.6C Ghz P4 for the price of 220 dollars.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

That myth is gone ever since the k7 CPU. K5s k6's were trash.
Not that their stubborn, its just how the market is. Intel is a better known name and contracts have been signed.
Intels has the advantage in media encoding and 3D mathematical intensive programs, yes. However the margin has been growing smaller and smaller.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Stunt
ugh...dell does make gaming rigs...why would they offer 9800's with the systems, it is a major market for them, i actually think they are making a gaming laptop with a p4ee in it.

but ur other question:

Dell made a special gaming PC, it was slower than the Anandtech made one, IIRC. (Same parts I think).

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I actually would have retract my statement about the intel having the advantage of Media encoding. It seems like the new socket 939 A64's have pretty much tied the ranks.

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
No... Athlon 64 > Intel for gaming. That is one reason why I won't by an Intel proc for my upcoming computer. If I was into video editing like my buddy..... then I might consider it

Even then.... I don't care for buying from the "wal-mart" of the computer industry. well..... maybe the Wal-mart desgination fits Dell better??

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
As a lifetime Intel user who is looking to upgrade his 2.53 northwood gaming machine, even I cant think of a reason to go with Intel at this point in time. However, I wouldnt choose a S754 being as S939 is where its headed, and the NForce 3 looks smoking. In the next few months, I will be building my first AMD based machine ever.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
people only recignize intel. (i.e. the intel inside commercials on tv). so people think intel is better and dont know a thing about hardware.

Delorian

Mar 10, 2004
Originally posted by: SonicIce
people only recignize intel. (i.e. the intel inside commercials on tv). so people think intel is better and dont know a thing about hardware.

Hey I liked the Blue Man Group commercials! Not that I'd buy one for gaming anyhow...

ASK THE COMMUNITY