If you're a GAMER, especially FPS, don't vote LIEBERMAN......simple as that

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Isn't he on that Parent's Television Council? Damn I hate people who censor things. If he becomes VP, I'd hate to think of the idea of "V-Chipped" computers.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I hate to say it, but I think Lieberman is a token minority on the Democratic ticket. Plus, its not like the vice president actually does anything other than vote on tie breakers in the Senate. How often does that happen anyway? The man will be powerless in office unless Gore dies.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Not true. As VP, he may not have the power. But through Gore...especially since they both feel the same way about the issue. Though Gore isn't as vehement I think.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I think most video gamers have misunderstood what Sen. Liebermann has been trying to say/do. There was a recent article on DailyRadar.com about an interview with him, which you guys should check out. I'll even linkify for your enlightenment.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Please say you're not serious about deciding whom to vote for because of someone's opinion of video games. I think the issues might run a little deeper than that.

But in any case, you have nothing to fear, since Lieberman has shown he's eager to back off any convictions he once held sacred in the past. As long as the entertainment community is in tight with the Democrats, he'll respect their wishes.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
oblivion2888: Until recently I was also concerned about Lieberman's history with moralizing the entertainment industry on our behalf before reading a recent article and a short summary on firingsquad.com, which went like this:

<< Contrary to popular belief, Lieberman isn't out to put the games industry out of work, but rather to protect children from having their brain chemistries altered. In the interview, he states that he is &quot;a devout believer in the First Amendment,&quot; and has &quot;never proposed having the government ban games or regulate game content.&quot; Instead, he is proposing to the game industry to &quot;set higher standards for their products.&quot; In other words, to stop making the violent games the developers want to make.

The senator later commends the ESRB rating system as &quot;the best of the media rating systems in practice today.&quot; But most of the games that he's targeted in the past are clearly marked with a Mature (M) rating that describes the product as suitable for persons ages 17 and older, and include more intense violence, language, and sexual themes. Then after he states, &quot;I believe adults should have access to games with violent and sexually explicit content.&quot;
>>

Heh, could we play that back again?

<< &quot;I believe adults should have access to games with violent and sexually explicit content.&quot; >>

Well, that's good to hear. ;)

Full article: Daily Radar interviews Senator Lieberman

[edit]Just realized I linked to the same place ATLien247 did. My mistake.[/edit]

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

<< Instead, he is proposing to the game industry to &quot;set higher standards for their products.&quot; In other words, to stop making the violent games the developers want to make. >>

still worries me.:(

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
well vote bush and be happy with it. Its not like you were going to vote gore ... ever. and no, a vote for gore is not going to mean that violent video games will dissapear:p Fear mongers.

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
&quot;Quake IS a murder simulator ...&quot; - Russ

As such, age requirements to buy these types of games are necessary. It's just too bad they don't enforce them. Then people wonder why there is so much youth violence. No, it's not just the games, but they are a part of the overall equation (along with a total lack of respect and no accountability for one's actions).