If your where suddenly elected president what would do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Call Monica

What would you call her? :p

Ok, lemme see...

I would want to find out what exactly is the status of things are. Too much BS floating around about the economy and overseas activities. Then..

Internationally-

Sit down with the Security Council members and have a long private talk. I would apologize for all the friction caused by my predecessor. I would then start to work on a joint resolution of intent in Iraq. It would be a UN sanctioned mission statement. I would call for a summit of regional leaders to discuss how to best handle the situation in Iraq and elsewhere. I would send a representative from the US who was a Muslim of standing in the religious community. Whether it appears as a token gesture or not would be less important than having someone on the ground who has a better context of the situation than I do. My goal would be to have people who would be trusted more than WASPS. Maybe Abbas would want a new job as head of an internationally sanctioned task force on the ground in Iraq.

The Economy...

Primary goal would be job creation. Tax incentives for R&D. The same for companies who spend money increasing their workforce. Tax penalties for those who outsource tech jobs etc to India and other places. I would also launch a program like that of the Depression era. Spend money to pay the unemployed to rebuild the infrastructure. Train them, and put them to work.

We also need a national goal. Something on a grand scale that benefits everyone. Freedom from oil. A "man to the moon" type of program, fully funded with the goal of making the country oil free by 2030. It eliminates a major vulnerability of the US, and that is the black heroin we import from overseas. Oil.

Health care. Everyone gets some basic protection. Private industry can compete for contracts. So can pharmaceutical companies.
MD's, the insurance industry and consumer advocates can beat each other up for a predetermined time, then detailed proposed legislation would be sent to Congress. Politicians who try to wreck it will be made severely public. Call it blackmail.

Well, there is a lot more, but that ought to keep anyone busy for the first 90 days :D

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Troops withdrawn from all parts of the world, except Iraq where we are forced to stay. Legalize marijuana, and most other drugs. Build bullet trains between major cities. No more free trade, manufacturing comes back to the United States.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Call Monica

What would you call her? :p

Oh... since the tattle tale of Nixon's days is still unknown I can't call her "deep throat" but, something nice I'm sure.. :D

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Withdrawl all troops and monetary assistance from all parts of the world. Let them sort out their own insignifigant crap. Since we're such bullies, such bad people who only want to set up an empire, I say we just pull out our military from everywhere and hold the fort down while the rest of the world turns to a big steaming pile of crap without our help, or at least until they all come crawling back asking us for money or weapons.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Give D.C. an enema, return government to the people, and let everyone in on the game.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: sandorski
Heads would roll!

Me: Madonna!
Madonna: Yes, Mr President.
Me: Call Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, and Rice into my office.
Madonna: Yes sir!
They all arive
Me: Yeeeaaa, I'm going to need you to come into the office Saturday. Yeaaa. If you could clean out your desks and not show up on Monday that'd be greeeat. Ok, good, yeeeeaaa.

;)

Heh....

Office Space?
:D

:beer: :)

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Eliminate

social security
welfare
foodstamps
mediacare
foreign aid
dept of education
irs

I would enact

a draft
a flat tax

I would

increase military spending to $2 trillion
incarcerate Muslims in concentration camps

That would be just the 1st day in office!

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Reopen Pennsylvania Avenue and E Street.
Remove the Jersey walls around the Washington Monument.
Remove the HumVees and 45 Virginia State troopers on all the roadways around the Pentagon.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Repeal the tax cuts
repeal the patriot act
re-examine the dmca (make it more fair for defendents, no more clerks issuing subpoenas...)
re-organize the millitary budget to focus on maintenace of current technology, and boost funding to DARPA, and other millitary/non-millitary research organizations
Term limits for senators
Nationalize heath insurance
Nationalize utilities
Repeal no child left behind, replace with goals2000 (a clinton effort, shot down by the "right")
Foreign conflict is to be handled through the UN, and only through the UN (well, maybe NATO too)
re-examine NAFTA
let psychos like bigdude have their guns
stricter emmissions standards
eliminate corporate tax loopholes and welfare
implement Bundesurlaubsgesetz and Kuendigungsschutzgesetz like legislation in the US

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
And on the Second day Bigdude dies at the hands of a pitchfork and torch wielding mob of lazy-fat-stupid people who should have just "BEEN BORN" with everything they need to survive in our society, while islamic terrorists, further enraged by thier brothers' internment would make 9/11 a nearly daily occurance.

You'd better repeal the bill of rights too bigdude if you want to make it work.

BTW, do you know who else would do what you're saying (and did)?

HITLER

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
First: I'd go the UN and in a broadcast speech, apologize to the WORLD for the conduct of the United States during the Bush Regime, and ask for their forgiveness and mercy.

Second: if Bush himself was abducted, I'd kick out all members of his Regime, put them on trial for any prosecutable offenses, and replace them all. Investigation and prosecution would definately have large focuses of 9/11 and the trumped-up war in iraq. Any tangible evidence found that the Bush Regime took part in allowing 9/11 to happen, neglected information that linked events to 9/11, tampering with intelligence, and whatever along those lines for 9/11 or Iraq would be prosecuted and probably executed--after a long stay behind bars for some great photo opps!

Third: I'd admit our Iraqi mistake, and then ask the World to band together and help out their country, in a true multinational force with partners who really want to help out because of the humanity crisis the Bush Regime created n Iraq. A TRUE coalition of the WILLING.

Fourth: I'd immediately halt all tax returns, and go on tv asking the american people to make a sacrifice for our country and ask that the government use that undistributed tax cut money for some vital program that would benefit those by healthcare or education.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
personally choose my interns! :p

I'd keep all Bush's cabinent just to piss off the liberals.

find out who shot Kennedy...

find out if there really are aliens...

and make PACs illegal for all for-profit companies

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
-i would return congress to being a part time job and have it meet one weekend a month.
-i would pull troops out of north korea, europe and japan.
-i would enforce the immigration rules of this country and stop encouraging illegals
-i would invest in energy resources such as fuel cells, go find a plunger and some rubber gloves, and head over to saudi arabia
-tell everyone to accept abortion as it's not going away and focus on real problems
-immediately eliminate all affirmative action programs and reinvest the money saved from beaurocracy into inner city schools and after school programs where it would work on the problem instead of the symptom
-legalize handguns in all areas with a background check and basic safety test being required to own.
-legalize pot but have the same taxes and rules apply to it as do to cigarettes and alcohol (no such luck for you heroine addicts)

thats all i can think of for now

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: nan0bug
Withdrawl all troops and monetary assistance from all parts of the world. Let them sort out their own insignifigant crap. Since we're such bullies, such bad people who only want to set up an empire, I say we just pull out our military from everywhere and hold the fort down while the rest of the world turns to a big steaming pile of crap without our help, or at least until they all come crawling back asking us for money or weapons.

You're a bit confused.

We're the ones in a big steaming pile of crap crawling back asking for money and weapons.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: BOBDN

You're a bit confused.

We're the ones in a big steaming pile of crap crawling back asking for money and weapons.

the united states has:
1. the strongest economy in the world
2. the most powerful military in the world
3. the most freely expressive society in the world (despite all of your doomsday prophecies about the usa patriot act)
4. the highest immigration rate in the world

that has got to be the best steaming pile of crap i have EVER seen.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Tabb
However you want to put it. Bush is abuducted by aliens. In some confusion your elected president for the next 4 years. What would you do?

I'd place an immediate ban on idiots asking questions like "If your where suddenly elected president what would do?"

Thank god your not president. Care to explain how its stupid? I would like several sources cited, since your so smart BOBDN :D You've got all the situations to are problems solved. How about you share them or is this post too stupid?

I'll give you one way to fix things. Bush could have used it but it's too late now.

Don't f**k things up in the first place.

You know, like the doctors say, "first do no harm."

And yes, this your thread is too stupid.

So easy to critizize everyone BOBDN, yet rarely you offer a single alternative and put insults instead? I guess you dont have any leadership ablities do you?

And just what do you consider leadership ability? Posting inane hypothetical subjects?

Here's the reason I'm so critical of your thread. We have more than enough genuine problems to address with that imbecile you support in the White House without participating in your little "what if" party.

And besides, you aren't fooling anyone.
The only reason you're posting this nonsense is so you can use it in your future posts to defend Bush.

***I can just see it now***

{the following quote simulated for effect} :)

"I posted a thread asking people what they'd do if they were president and no one could give ANY answers."

Boo f'ing hoo.

You're as transparent as Saran Wrap.

Worry about the problems we're really facing, not your "what if" BS. No one here is going to solve the world's problems but I'd wager just about anyone here would have been bright enough to keep us out of the complete F'ing mess Bush has us in. What a cluster F**K. And to think you actually defend that idiot. Bush's only leadership skill is his ability to be duped by the radical right wing madmen in his administration and then dupe you morons as he leads us all into unnecessary, irresponsible quagmires we'll never escape from.

Okay, Ill bite.

What problems are we facing? And dont say the economy. Because Q3 is projected to have 3.5% growth and Q4 5% growth. We dont not have an economic problem. Yes there is unemployment, but we also have the highest productivity rates since 1950. Unemployment has already stabilized is under the "weak job market" threshold, and will only get better over the course of the next 6 months.

The only problem I can think of is the war in Iraq, but its getting better, although it could still be a disaster. Most of the problems with the war in Iraq are superficial.

The defiect is not an issue. Unless you actually believe the Governments accounting which is worse than Enrons.

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Day Two

I would arrest Clinton, and everyone that ever voted for him, for TREASON!

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: kaizersose

You're a bit confused.

the united states has:
3. the most freely expressive society in the world (despite all of your doomsday prophecies about the usa patriot act)

It smells pretty damned good though :D

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Send Ashcroft and his henchmen to the Anandtech Politics and News forum to arrest and prosecute the many unpatriotic "liberal wackos" that are inhabiting this forum now.....;)

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
However you want to put it. Bush is abuducted by aliens. In some confusion your elected president for the next 4 years. What would you do?

I'd place an immediate ban on idiots asking questions like "If your where suddenly elected president what would do?"

Thank god your not president. Care to explain how its stupid? I would like several sources cited, since your so smart BOBDN :D You've got all the situations to are problems solved. How about you share them or is this post too stupid?

I'll give you one way to fix things. Bush could have used it but it's too late now.

Don't f**k things up in the first place.

You know, like the doctors say, "first do no harm."

And yes, this your thread is too stupid.

So easy to critizize everyone BOBDN, yet rarely you offer a single alternative and put insults instead? I guess you dont have any leadership ablities do you?

And just what do you consider leadership ability? Posting inane hypothetical subjects?

Here's the reason I'm so critical of your thread. We have more than enough genuine problems to address with that imbecile you support in the White House without participating in your little "what if" party.

And besides, you aren't fooling anyone.
The only reason you're posting this nonsense is so you can use it in your future posts to defend Bush.

***I can just see it now***

{the following quote simulated for effect} :)

"I posted a thread asking people what they'd do if they were president and no one could give ANY answers."

Boo f'ing hoo.

You're as transparent as Saran Wrap.

Worry about the problems we're really facing, not your "what if" BS. No one here is going to solve the world's problems but I'd wager just about anyone here would have been bright enough to keep us out of the complete F'ing mess Bush has us in. What a cluster F**K. And to think you actually defend that idiot. Bush's only leadership skill is his ability to be duped by the radical right wing madmen in his administration and then dupe you morons as he leads us all into unnecessary, irresponsible quagmires we'll never escape from.

You seem to be doing ALOT to fix the problems we are having :p Posting on Political Forums? Like thats really going to make a difference bobdn? Your cant help the current situation if you dont provide alternatives.

I'm here just like you're here. I'm making the same difference you're making. Well, that's not entirely true. At least I have the common sense not to defend Bush.

And you aren't providing any alterantives either. Other than making excuses (you YABA) for Bush.

And why didn't you quote my entire post? What's wrong? The part about you using this thread to defend Bush in your future posts hit a nerve? ;)

I didnt quote your entire post? Which one? Or wait, should I resort to name calling?

I didnt quote your entire dumbfounded illogical post? Which one? The insanely stupid one with 5th grader skills or the other one that makes saddamn look like a saint?

BOBDN, grow up. Are you trying to hurt my feelings? Well, its working really good right now.
rolleye.gif
Not to mention is a great contribution to the forums.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

You're a bit confused.

the united states has:

Not that any of those points matter much, point #4 is incorrect. Highest Total Immigrants/year, most likely, but not highest Rate.

Bob was quite correct in his statement, even if the first 3 points were correct, the US *is* asking for Money and Weapons. It seems being "biggest", "most", "most free", or some other "...est" does not make one Omnipotent.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

You're a bit confused.

the united states has:

Not that any of those points matter much, point #4 is incorrect. Highest Total Immigrants/year, most likely, but not highest Rate.

Bob was quite correct in his statement, even if the first 3 points were correct, the US *is* asking for Money and Weapons. It seems being "biggest", "most", "most free", or some other "...est" does not make one Omnipotent.

We are asking, but we are as usual prepared to go alone if needed.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

You're a bit confused.

the united states has:

Prepare then. :)

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

You're a bit confused.

the united states has:

Prepare then. :)

No problem. It wont be the first or the last time US has acted alone to solve problems that exist in the world.
I am sure it will be debated at the UN and france will veto.