If your roomate sold drugs....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SXMP

Oct 22, 2000
Do you know what would be even more crazy? If someone a judge used this internet thread to prove that you were aware your roommate was dealing drugs =)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL..

Man, it would suck to be a(cannabis) drug dealer in some of the states you guys live in..

10 year mandatory... LOL!

What a joke.

AFAIK, here in Oregon, unless we're talking about very large ammounts, posession(even manufacture) with the intent to distribute is a misdemeanor.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin
Originally posted by: IEatChildren
I've been with my roommate for 3 years now, and he sells drugs. But then again, what kind of drugs does your roommate sell?
Weed is nothing to worry about. Cocaine and crack are.

Say that when the cops execute a no-knock search warrant and arrest everyone in the house for distribution of a controlled substance and you go to jail for a mandatory 10 years.

Personally I wouldn't be caught dead living with someone that was selling because if the cops come he's gonna deny it's his and you are going to deny it's yours and everyone goes to jail for a very long time under federal mandotory sentencing guidelines.

Depending if they are tried in state vs federal court, federal courts have to give the mandated sentence, state courts are not so bound.

IEatChildren

Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I've been with my roommate for 3 years now, and he sells drugs. But then again, what kind of drugs does your roommate sell?
Weed is nothing to worry about? Tell that to the thousands in prison right now for selling it.
If it's the same house and seperate rooms the police would need a search warrant for your room.
How many cop shows have you been watching? You think they need to get a search warrant per room? haha, have fun standing in front of your door telling the cops "Yeah I know you have a search warrant, but it doesn't cover my room." See how long they find that funny before you're cuffed.

You're not going to prison if they find an ounce on you. They'll most likely fine you, if even that. Even for a pound you probably won't go to prison. A pound is really nothing. They usually don't waste their time on small-time dealers and they go for the big ones. They always case a place and figure out beforehand what kind of amounts they're dealing with.
I've known a few people who've gone to jail for relatively small amounts, but 10 years is really overestimating it. Hell they all got out on bail anyway.

Like I said, crack and cocaine on the other hand are a much bigger deal in the eyes of the law.

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i didnt read the entire thread, but taking hush money is ILLEGAL! you will be an accessory, as well as an extortionist

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Weed is nothing to worry about? Tell that to the thousands in prison right now for selling it.
If it's the same house and seperate rooms the police would need a search warrant for your room.
How many cop shows have you been watching? You think they need to get a search warrant per room? haha, have fun standing in front of your door telling the cops "Yeah I know you have a search warrant, but it doesn't cover my room." See how long they find that funny before you're cuffed.

You're not going to prison if they find an ounce on you. They'll most likely fine you, if even that. Even for a pound you probably won't go to prison. A pound is really nothing. They usually don't waste their time on small-time dealers and they go for the big ones. They always case a place and figure out beforehand what kind of amounts they're dealing with.
I've known a few people who've gone to jail for relatively small amounts, but 10 years is really overestimating it. Hell they all got out on bail anyway.

Like I said, crack and cocaine on the other hand are a much bigger deal in the eyes of the law.

Right... someone here recently got 26 years for 3 ounces.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Very foolish to have a roommate selling drugs.

Not only can you be implicated fairly easily, especially if he has a beef with you when he gets busted, you will have some pretty unreputable people coming over to buy and stealing your sh!t at the same time.

And if you think its ok sell drugs, especially by someone you're living with, then I seriously hope you get implicated as well. :beer:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Millennium

Right... someone here recently got 26 years for 3 ounces.
It totally depend son the state...

Some are absolutely insane about it.

Like I said, here in Oregon.. unless we're talking about huge ammounts.. it's a slap on the wrist.

Infact, AFAIK, in some counties.. they won't lock you up for ANY non-violent offense, because there is simply not enough prison space(due to budget cuts).