If your professor is a Doctor.. What do you call them?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Professor xxxxxxx?

or

Doctor xxxxxxx?

I know one superceeds the other, but in the circumstance, which do you use?

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Whatever they like to be called.

I usually just call them "Mr.," but if they exaggerate that they are a Doctor, then I call them "Dr."

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
One of my brothers-in-law is the pastor of a local church. When he gave the eulogy at my father's funeral he started out by introducing himself and said, "The Rev. in front of my name does not stand for 'rev it up'."

Cracked me up.

Maybe you had to be there.

I'm going to go hide in the closet now.:eek:

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
If they're asses they get upset if you don't call them doctor.

Most are fine with mr.

The cool ones go by the first name....

TourGuide

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
I think you should just shout - "HEY, YOU GET OVER HERE!!"

That ought to get you all the attention you need.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Usually you address them as Dr.

They earned it, and it is appropriate in the setting. If they say it is ok to call them by something else by all means do so.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I think Professor, if they are indeed tenured is prefered.
I can't imagine not using the proper title to address a teacher. The idea of calling a Doctor or Professor, ?Mr.? just because you think you are too cool, really shows lack of maturity.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: glen
I think Professor, if they are indeed tenured is prefered.
I can't imagine not using the proper title to address a teacher. The idea of calling a Doctor or Professor, ?Mr.? just because you think you are too cool, really shows lack of maturity.

I agree. I think of it as a sign of respect. However, if the professor asks to be called by their first name, i respectly do so as well.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
If you meet a medical doctor, don't you always call them Dr ?

I don't see any difference with professors, they should be called doctor or professor.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Sir, Mr. or the their first name...

I could care less if someone wants to be called Dr. or Professor. I'm not in the military and I'm not required to call them by their title.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: aphex
Professor xxxxxxx? or Doctor xxxxxxx? I know one superceeds the other, but in the circumstance, which do you use?

Because I know you are going to law school, you call them professors, unless they have Ph.D.'s.

Regards,

DA, J.D.

;)

Jul 1, 2000
Ph.D.'s are almost universally referred to as Dr. - they have earned that title.

No one in the States calls a lawyer "Dr." - unless there is another degree attached.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Doctor or Professor, either one is fine. If you are a grad student, many just go by their first name.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Not all Doctors are Professors.
It goes something like this:

Graduate student - Mr.

PHD - Dr.

Get a job teaching at a college - lecturer (Dr.)

After a year or so - assistant Professor (Dr.)

*You make Tenure* - Associate Professor (this is where I think you really can be called Professor, but technically, you are not a professor)

10 years of distinguished teaching and publishing - Full Professor

Alumni donates a wad of cash in your name to the department - The Anand Lai Shimpi Professor of Computer Science

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
Professor xxxxxxx? or Doctor xxxxxxx? I know one superceeds the other, but in the circumstance, which do you use?

Because I know you are going to law school, you call them professors, unless they have Ph.D.'s.

Regards,

DA, J.D.

;)

Haha, actually this was in reference to my last professor in college... Her website states Dr. West however I have been referring to her as Professor in class.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: glen
Not all Doctors are Professors.
It goes something like this:

Graduate student - Mr.

PHD - Dr.

Get a job teaching at a college - lecturer (Dr.)

After a year or so - assistant Professor (Dr.)

*You make Tenure* - Associate Professor (this is where I think you really can be called Professor, but technically, you are not a professor)

10 years of distinguished teaching and publishing - Full Professor

Alumni donates a wad of cash in your name to the department - The Anand Lai Shimpi Professor of Computer Science

Yea, my marketing professor was JCPenney Professor of Marketing

Im like WTF?! :)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Regards,

DA, J.D.

;)

Haha, actually this was in reference to my last professor in college... Her website states Dr. West however I have been referring to her as Professor in class.

My wife (who is a Professor and Ph.D) tells me either is acceptable

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
I think the rule of them is to call them Professor... unless it is a grad student.

In which case 'Idiot' would suffice.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Really, in day-to-day casual conversation, Professor or Doctor is fine, but you should know if they actually are a professor or not, and try to only use professor with those who really are professors.
Now, if you are introducing them as a speaker for an engagement, you Should use their complete title, ie:

ATOT University Assistant Professor, Doctor Aphex Middlename Lastname

-or-

The ATOT University Anand Lai Shimpi Chairman of Computer Science, Doctor Aphex Middlename Lastname