If Your Mom Was Going to Build You a $500k Home...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I try not to even let my mom in my house, shes managed to con her way in 3 times in 3 years. All I get is honey whats that, honey you should fix that, you should decorate this, you should remodel this this way, mom get the fuck out of my house and stay out. Swear she'll go on for 20 minutes with that shit and bring it up for weeks after I boot her out.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Damn, Mom managed to slip into your house three times in three years? You must be quite a family man. Lots of family get togethers, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas parties?

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
My moms crazy I never knew if I'd get the fake overly nice mom, the super depressed cry for days mom or the beat me with what evers close mom. Shes lucky I'm still around at all.

She seems better now been meaning to ask my dad if shes on meds but I think I'm getting only the fake overly nice mom now. One time when I was a kid she was whooping my ass with a kitchen spoon wailing crying I don't beat my kids but you kids make me. All the sudden there was a knock on the door she wiped her face answered the door with a huge smile and said oh hi how are you I'm so happy to see you. Thats when I officially knew my mom was batshit crazy I was about 10.

Nov 8, 2012
Entirely depends on how your mom is. Moms can be annoying as fuck or they can understand things.

For instance, if a mom doesn't understand that she is old and (if anything) should be taking advice from you instead of always trying to tell you advice then that's livable to me.

The question is really, is she a crazy bitch you can put up with or not.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Nah. She's in perfect health.

I think he's very fortunate

TBH, he doesn't have much going on in his life. Works in the summer, takes off for the winter and collects unemployment. Wants to put out movies. He's an inspiring movie producer. Has been for many years, so I don't know where he is with that goal. No kids, wife. Just him.

So after she's gone he'll just lose the house anyways. He won't be able to afford taxes and upkeep. And if she's taking out a mortgage, someone will have to pay it off.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
So, your mom wants to build you a $500k home. It's going to have a mini movie theater installed. Master bedroom for you. Pretty much a modern home. One door garage. The only thing...

Mom wants to move in. This is the dilemma my friend faces. Does he get his dream home built, because their is no way in hell that he's affording a new $500k home.

Who is responsible for the property taxes? Depending upon where the house will be built ... it could be VERY painful. Example: In NY state a $500K home outside of NYC would run the owner approximately 4% or $20K per year. This number varies depending upon where the house is built.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
TBH, he doesn't have much going on in his life. Works in the summer, takes off for the winter and collects unemployment. Wants to put out movies. He's an inspiring movie producer. Has been for many years, so I don't know where he is with that goal. No kids, wife. Just him.

Sounds like he was going to end up living with his parents no matter what.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Aspiring"
Nothing I'm hearing so far makes him sound inspiring :D

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Who is responsible for the property taxes? Depending upon where the house will be built ... it could be VERY painful. Example: In NY state a $500K home outside of NYC would run the owner approximately 4% or $20K per year. This number varies depending upon where the house is built.

My guess is he would be. Mom has done very well in her life, so my guess is he would be left a sizeable check when she does pass away.

We also live in Southern NJ. Property taxes here are pretty high.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I've seen plenty of designs that would be okay for a live in parent. Look up stuff designed to rent part of the house out. Some of those are basically a duplex, but if you want a more traditional home look into having a bedroom on the other side of the public area. IE put the kitchen and living room between most of the bedrooms and a single room. That room can later become a den. I'd design a guest bath with a door into that room for an ensuite. You can later close that door up for a more traditional guest bath down the road.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Really depends on how much property and "house" I can get for $500k. If it's a more rural area you could buy a couple acres and build an outbuilding to turn into your own man-shack and rarely ever see her if you wanted. If you can build out a multi-story home where you can legally zone a second kitchen (careful, not many places allow two "real" kitchens) in the basement you can build an entirely self contained living space and rarely bump into each other if you didn't want to.

But if this is in a high cost of living space where $500k gets you a one or two story on slab home with little personal space....ehhhh.....would need to do some deep soul searching and figure out life goals and what a zero mortgage got me in return for the living arrangements.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Good health. Mom is in her 70s.

Boy, that's a tough one. Maybe take the deal but start having sex in the kitchen, living room and other common areas of the house when they know she is up and likely to walk in on them.

Also, since the dream home is being built for them I am assuming that it will be in their name?