If your going to buy Witcher for full retail...

Demoth

Apr 1, 2005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814127300

I see these types of deals often. Top title recent games still going for $50 selling with really cheap and rebated vid cards. In some cases this can result in a free vid card if your already about to pick up the game title in question. And in this case the 2600 Pro is still a nice card to give to a friend or use in a spare system.

You usually have to jump through a few hoops for the mail in rebates, but I have yet to not get a check when following simple directions to a tee.

Anyways, just wanted to give my opinion that even when your not actively looking for a new vid card, if your about to buy a big name game title, check the cheap cards and see if ya can grab an almost freebie.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
For a second I thought it was a 2900 Pro and I got really excited for a moment... :(

Doesn't the 2600 Pro have some hi-def decoding features on it? It would make for a pretty nice HTPC card if so. But the link is borked at the moment.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
mmm.. its now with a 20$ MIR... so basically you are buying the witcher and getting an old video card free with the game (after MIR).. how much do those things sell for on ebay?

You know... This inspires me... we should do a collection thread for these type of deals...

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
if youre going to buy The Witcher now, i'd suggest you wait for the Enhanced Version that coming out in May. i havent played it yet and i'll be getting that version. (includes new material, textures and a complete english translation overhaul. but still no sex in the US version...)

Blacklash

Feb 22, 2007
I got the import DVD from GoGamer. I enjoyed the game a lot. The sex in the game is way overhyped. You can choose to trigger an encounter or skip it entirely. If you trigger it you get to see what looks like a playing card of the girl in question. Some have frontal nudity and none actually depict sex. Think girls Boris or Royo might paint.

IMO some of the gut ripping and throat slitting would be more shocking to the young than the girl cards.

Uncensored version-
http://www.gogamer.com/The-Wit...Id444710VVviewprod.htm

Besides some cards with nudity the game has profanity and fairly harsh finishing moves. It's not uncommon to see; evisceration, rough throat slitting and straight up decaps.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Borealis7
if youre going to buy The Witcher now, i'd suggest you wait for the Enhanced Version that coming out in May. i havent played it yet and i'll be getting that version. (includes new material, textures and a complete english translation overhaul. but still no sex in the US version...)

Few things, censorship in the Enhanced Edition has not be decided. I specifically asked this question to the devs in the EE thread at the Witcher Forums. Most likely, the US version will get short changed again. You can witness all manner of blood and violence, but show a nipple and suddenly its evil? :confused:

Secondly, all the EE content will be available to current game owners in the form of a content download. Expect it to be a good size download though. The 'patch' to remove censorship from the US version weighs about 590MB.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Few things, censorship in the Enhanced Edition has not be decided. I specifically asked this question to the devs in the EE thread at the Witcher Forums. Most likely, the US version will get short changed again. You can witness all manner of blood and violence, but show a nipple and suddenly its evil? :confused

Actually, I believe many of the more violent sword finishers were removed for the US version as well. So it's not just about "no nudity but yes violence". I could be wrong though, as I purposely bought the UK version knowing the US version was censored.

It's pretty sad though, considering it seems like it used to be the other way around, with countries like Germany having much stricter censorship and the US versions being uncensored.

I also recommend waiting for the Enhanced Edition. I'll be happy to get my free download because I already bought the original. :)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Continuity28

Actually, I believe many of the more violent sword finishers were removed for the US version as well. So it's not just about "no nudity but yes violence". I could be wrong though,

I have heard this as well in the PC gaming forum, they removed the heavier gore. Although, I have not played either one side by side, so I cannot tell you for sure.

if youre going to buy The Witcher now, i'd suggest you wait for the Enhanced Version that coming out in May. i havent played it yet and i'll be getting that version. (includes new material, textures and a complete english translation overhaul.
Any idea if that content will be like a "game of the year" and will be available as a patch or purchasable addon for other distributions?

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Any idea if that content will be like a "game of the year" and will be available as a patch or purchasable addon for other distributions?

Here's the official announcement.

"Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update"

Blacklash

Feb 22, 2007
I am almost scared to download the enhancements. It won't nerf an uncensored version if you happen to be in the US will it?

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Blacklash
I am almost scared to download the enhancements. It won't nerf an uncensored version if you happen to be in the US will it?

If you're using an uncensoring mod, then yes, it will interfere. If you're using a non-US version, then no.

You'll just need to use an updated mod instead of your existing one, if that's what you're worried about.

Blacklash

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks,

I am not using mods, just the import uncensored version.

Originally posted by: Continuity28
Originally posted by: Blacklash

If you're using an uncensoring mod, then yes, it will interfere. If you're using a non-US version, then no.

You'll just need to use an updated mod instead of your existing one, if that's what you're worried about.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: taltamir
mmm.. its now with a 20$ MIR... so basically you are buying the witcher and getting an old video card free with the game (after MIR).. how much do those things sell for on ebay?

You know... This inspires me... we should do a collection thread for these type of deals...

There IS a collection of these kinds of deals:

http://forums.anandtech.com/ca...tid=40&flcache=5085122

^hot deals^

*specifically*

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2154948&enterthread=y[/L]

[there is more than Video at ATF] :p
(believe-it-or-not)
:D

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Scoop
There is a Enhanced Edition of Witcher coming out so you might want to hold out for that one :p

*all* of it is D/L'able for current game owners

http://www.gameborder.com/readnews.php?id=555

"Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
Originally posted by: apoppin
There is a Enhanced Edition of Witcher coming out so you might want to hold out for that one :p

"Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

not soon enough though =\

the witcher is quite full of awkwardisms allllllllll over the place...

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007

Not quite *all*

'aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world.'

I don't think these will be part of the updates, but who knows.

Continuity28

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2005

Not quite *all*

'aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world.'

I don't think these will be part of the updates, but who knows.

Well, of course, the software will be available. The guide and short story can have PDF versions. The video DVD and music CD probably won't be available though.

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
sounds like the "collector's edition" designed to extract every last penny from their fans :p

You'd think that this kind of edition would be priced through the roof, but the developer says that it's priced the same as the standard edition, which would be just awesome. Let's hope it's true :p