If your credit card limit is too low to buy something, can you do this?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
can you transfer money into it (like over pay on your bill or something) so that if you had a 500 limit and transferred in 300, you could buy an 800 item?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
With most cards, yes. I know that for Amex's and some VISAs having a credit is ok, but if you don't use it, they'll send you a check. :p

Rob

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Probably, I know I returned something after paying it off and had a $-50 balance before.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Never tried that, but you can usually mix payment. Put $500 on your credit card and pay the rest with a check.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Never tried that, but you can usually mix payment. Put $500 on your credit card and pay the rest with a check.

hmm... but then if you had something like extended warranty for things purchased with the card, you probably wouldn't get that benefit, right?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
you can call them up and say: "hey i need to buy some stuff that will cos t more then my limiti, is it possible for you to raise my limit?"

they will most likely say yes.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon
have you tried calling them and seeing about a limit increase..?

no :eek: i was just looking at rossman's laptop deal and got to thinking. i'm not going to get it, but i don't want to miss out on a really smoking one just because i'm a few hundred short on my limit

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: gopunk

hmm... but then if you had something like extended warranty for things purchased with the card, you probably wouldn't get that benefit, right?

First call your cc and ask them about your "what if" scenario, don't worry it's perfectly harmless and they could really care less. But the short answer is yes, most cc's will allow you to overpay your account resulting in a CREDIT BALANCE ... however some only let you carry a credit balance for 10 days then they cut you a check and mail it to you, so this is why it's best to call your cc and explain your situation to them.

If it's a VISA, call the phone number listed here to see if your cc qualifies for the free 1 year extended warranty.

The laptop is a VERY hot deal, I'd buy it but I already own a laptop.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN

First call your cc and ask them about your "what if" scenario, don't worry it's perfectly harmless and they could really care less. But the short answer is yes, most cc's will allow you to overpay your account resulting in a CREDIT BALANCE ... however some only let you carry a credit balance for 10 days then they cut you a check and mail it to you, so this is why it's best to call your cc and explain your situation to them.

If it's a VISA, call the phone number listed here to see if your cc qualifies for the free 1 year extended warranty.

From my experience, cc companies will not refund a credit balance until you point it out to them and ask them for a refund.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN

i would get it too, but i'm looking for something a little more lightweight. it'll be a long wait, but oh well. i don't need a laptop that badly anyways