If your children aren't taught the state's official curriculum by a state-certified teacher, they'll be taken from you.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Should the parents be able to teach their kids never to see a doctor even if they are grievously sick? How about teaching them to strap on a bomb for Allah?

There are many sects that do not wish to have vaccinations and other medical treatments so I would imagine some don't go to the doc when they are ill either. point?

Teaching kids to murder? Hmm... I'll have to think about that one... :roll:

Then they get a serious disease and it is spread amongst the people. Then what should you do?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Hacp
Should the parents be able to teach their kids never to see a doctor even if they are grievously sick? How about teaching them to strap on a bomb for Allah?

There are many sects that do not wish to have vaccinations and other medical treatments so I would imagine some don't go to the doc when they are ill either. point?

Then they get a serious disease and it is spread amongst the people. Then what should you do?

Huh? When has this happened?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50

Huh? The US has never been hit with a nuke, so we shouldn't worry about it ever!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Huh? The US has never been hit with a nuke, so we shouldn't worry about it ever!

You aren't making any sense. Do you think that vaccinations for every deadly disease should be made mandatory? And we throw anyone in jail that doesn't get them?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

You aren't making any sense. Do you think that vaccinations for every deadly disease should be made mandatory? And we throw anyone in jail that doesn't get them?

You aren't making any sense. Are you saying that a scenario where a person who knowingly has smallpox can run around freely in city streets can happen without punishment?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

You aren't making any sense. Are you saying that a scenario where a person who knowingly has smallpox can run around freely in city streets can happen without punishment?

I have no idea, I don't know what the law says in that case, do you? Also, can you stop repeating everything that I say like my 5 year old does?

"Do you think that vaccinations for every deadly disease should be made mandatory? And we throw anyone in jail that doesn't get them?"

Edit - What does dropping a nuke on a city have to do with people not being forced by law to go to the doctor when they are ill?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I have no idea, I don't know what the law says in that case, do you? Also, can you stop repeating everything that I say like my 5 year old does?

"Do you think that vaccinations for every deadly disease should be made mandatory? And we throw anyone in jail that doesn't get them?"

Edit - What does dropping a nuke on a city have to do with people not being forced by law to go to the doctor when they are ill?

I don't think you can send your kids to school without them.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Maybe you need to take a few lessons on common sense from your child?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Does that apply to homeschooling as well? I have no idea because I'm not homeschooling my kids. Also, there are still plenty of communicable diseases out there that you don't get vaccinated for.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Maybe you need to grow the fuck up? I'm not playing these games with you anymore, you're ridiculous. You're bringing nukes into a discussion about home schooling......

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Maybe you need to grow the fuck up? I'm not playing these games with you anymore, you're ridiculous. You're bringing nukes into a discussion about home schooling......

Ignorance is not an excuse. If you don't get what I meant by that post, you should think harder.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Does that apply to homeschooling as well? I have no idea because I'm not homeschooling my kids. Also, there are still plenty of communicable diseases out there that you don't get vaccinated for.

Which ones? Can you tell me one for which there is a vaccine? There are plenty of communicable diseases for which we do not have a prevention.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Modelworks
They need to leave them alone.
I have been to one of the Mennonite communities and they are the most hard working and polite people I have ever met.
I think they could do with some of the Mennonite teachers teaching in public schools, not the other way around.

Exactly. Where I lived in Wisconsin had a pretty large grouping of Mennonites. Very hard working group of people. You should also see how well behaved their kids were out in public. As to their schooling, I'm not sure how they did it but maybe they were able to fall under the "home schooling" category in Wisconsin.

So by extension of your logic, we can leave all hard working people alone, which will surely extend to illegal immigrants!

I did not make the argument that "hard working" = leave "people alone" so no, you can't "extend" the logic. It seems though that you are trying to twist a comment into such a thing as usual.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

If it doesn't it should. The nut cases benefit from mandatory vaccination programs and therefor should be force to participate in them.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: smack Down

Thats is the best you can do to back up your claim?

Here's beyond 8th grade for religious reasons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_v._Yoder
That was the "big one" that set precedent.

And if that doesn't convince you, here's a big list of specific supreme court decisions:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000075.asp

Can I just get a confirmation from SmackDown and eskimospy that you want to usurp the constitution and supreme court rulings for your political motivations?

By the way, mandatory vaccinations haven't hit the supreme court (as far as I know), but almost all states have exemptions for religious or philosophical reasons written into the law. Likely because the Supreme Court would uphold the right to refuse...

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

If it doesn't it should. The nut cases benefit from mandatory vaccination programs and therefor should be force to participate in them.

Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but are you saying that everyone that homeschools is a nutcase??

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

And if that doesn't convince you, here's a big list of specific supreme court decisions:

Can I just get a confirmation from SmackDown and eskimospy that you want to usurp the constitution and supreme court rulings for your political motivations?

By the way, mandatory vaccinations haven't hit the supreme court (as far as I know), but almost all states have exemptions for religious or philosophical reasons written into the law. Likely because the Supreme Court would uphold the right to refuse...

No, that would be incredibly stupid. You want to fight for the right of parents to teach their children things that are manifestly, provably false. In order to legislate in contravention of part of the constitution the government must prove a compelling interest. (fire in a movie theater!) In the case of mandatory vaccinations it would likely depend on the severity of the public interest... as do all other legislations on religious grounds.

Teaching children the nature of reality is such an interest in my opinion. You can disagree with that all you want, but trying to say that it's not constitutional to have educational standards is asinine. When parents then get to pick and choose which standards they enforce, the standards are then worthless.

I get the feeling like you just don't really understand this topic, but have a gut feeling that you're terribly angry and afraid might be wrong.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I love how now teaching kids about reality is considered 'political'. That's a sad sign.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy

No, that would be incredibly stupid. You want to fight for the right of parents to teach their children things that are manifestly, provably false. In order to legislate in contravention of part of the constitution the government must prove a compelling interest. (fire in a movie theater!) In the case of mandatory vaccinations it would likely depend on the severity of the public interest... as do all other legislations on religious grounds.

Teaching children the nature of reality is such an interest in my opinion. You can disagree with that all you want, but trying to say that it's not constitutional to have educational standards is asinine. When parents then get to pick and choose which standards they enforce, the standards are then worthless.

I get the feeling like you just don't really understand this topic, but have a gut feeling that you're terribly angry and afraid might be wrong.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I love how now teaching kids about reality is considered 'political'. That's a sad sign.

This isn't about teaching kids about reality (I haven't seen anyone here arguing against teaching evolution, although you sure do seem to find that a convenient straw man), it's about preventing parents from teaching their children about their beliefs. That most certainly is political. And before you attempt to lie your way out of this, I bolded your own statement that proves that is your agenda.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

It's completely political. It's about personal liberty versus the government. What's sad is you refuse to recognize established law. Tell you what, I'm going to PM DonVito (a well established liberal, but also a practicing lawyer) and have him review this. I'll eat my hat and clearly state if I'm wrong (and I doubt you'll do the same - but I challenge you to man up), but I believe that Pierce v. Society of Sisters is the relevant case (that has been upheld repeatedly) that proves you completely wrong.

Pierce v. Society of Sisters
The Supreme Court uses strong language in asserting that children are not ?the mere creature of the State.? The holding in Pierce, therefore, preserves diversity of process of education by forbidding the State to standardize the education of children through forcing them to only accept instruction from public schools.

So stop trying to dispute the established law based on your "feelings" on the way "society should be".

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
And for the record, it looks like I'm wrong about mandatory vaccination after some googling:

http://nvic.org/Articles/gnsmanda.htm

1905 - Jacobson vs. Massachusetts.

My personal opinion is that ruling should be refined as I see it as an infringement upon personal liberty. Only in the most dire and severe circumstances (i.e. a smallpox plague) should the government be able to force a vaccination, or any medical procedure, on the unwilling.

Jun 26, 2007
And for the record, it looks like I'm wrong about mandatory vaccination after some googling:

http://nvic.org/Articles/gnsmanda.htm

1905 - Jacobson vs. Massachusetts.

My personal opinion is that ruling should be refined as I see it as an infringement upon personal liberty. Only in the most dire and severe circumstances (i.e. a smallpox plague) should the government be able to force a vaccination, or any medical procedure, on the unwilling.

You don't think it would be a bit late to think of vaccinations only after there is a plague?

Personally i'm glad that people in my country are not subjected to the indoctrination through school, they get enough of that from their parents.

But what do i know, i'm just a freedom hating Socialist and if you don't watch it, i'll be under your bed. :D

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Someone needs to explain to me what relevance a public health issue like vaccinations has to do with a freedom of belief issue as in the OP. They're not analogous.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
Someone needs to explain to me what relevance a public health issue like vaccinations has to do with a freedom of belief issue as in the OP. They're not analogous.

Personal freedom issues i guess, there are religions that deny their children the right to some life saving medical treatment, vaccination is even worse to force on people because it involves adults too.

But denying your child basic education (i believe evolution to be basic education) and teching them that other people are to be discriminated against because of their sex, ethnicity or sexual orientation is equally wrong in my book.

I'm not American though so i don't really care what happens in the US, but otoh, none of the people arguing against this are from Quebec either, are they?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: Vic

Personal freedom issues i guess, there are religions that deny their children the right to some life saving medical treatment, vaccination is even worse to force on people because it involves adults too.

But denying your child basic education (i believe evolution to be basic education) and teching them that other people are to be discriminated against because of their sex, ethnicity or sexual orientation is equally wrong in my book.

I'm not American though so i don't really care what happens in the US, but otoh, none of the people arguing against this are from Quebec either, are they?

Religious freedom (freedom of belief) is a basic right. You cannot deny it to others without denying it to yourself. Would you approve of this situation if it was entirely reversed, with the religious groups in power and a tiny group of evolutionists insisting on their basic right to teach their children as they wished? You might giggle at that now, but just a few generations ago, that was reality.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern
Bah, they just need to import some Muslims into their community, then have them say that they will be offended by evolution and alt life stlyes.

The way things seem to be going, that should prolly get the gov oficials to back off real quick.

Fern

excellent point.

seems that the government is the bigot here not the menoites.