if you won in 2008 elections

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
So you mean all those Exxon owned drilling rigs, pumping stations, and refineries don't belong to Exxon? That's odd...

I worked the Wyoming oil fields in the 80's...on Exxon oil and sour gas projects. The drill rigs were owned by Exxon, the crews were Exxon employees, the entire infrastructure was built and paid for by Exxon (using sub-contractors for much of the actual construction) the pipelines, pumping facilities, the preliminary treatment plants...all Exxon, all Exxon employees.

Yes, SOME oil companies do sub out the drilling, some sub out exploratory drilling then use their own rigs to actually drill the well, some do it all the way through the refinery process. MANY of the big oil companies have their own exploration divisions, their own drilling and production divisions, transportation divisions, and, of course, refinery divisions. IF by chance, these oil companies have divested themselves of their assorted divisions to make their bottom line look better, odds are, they still own or own a large percentage of the companies they hire.
Back in the 80's, this is how it was. Now, oil recovery work is done by Schlumberger, Halliburton, and similar firms that most people don't recognize as "oil companies." The big oil companies realized that it was simply more profitable to farm this work out. I attended a seminar on this yesterday morning and sat next to a classmate of mine who worked for Schlumberger before quitting to come back to school in 2003. I can only assume that this information is a little more up to date than whatever happened back in the 80's.
I'm well aware that most gas stations aren't the ones raping the American people...most of them barely scrape by on the thin margin they get on gas & oil sales, which is why the old-time "service stations" have become "mini-marts" to diversify their income streams. My reference is to the oil companies...BIG OIL...they are the ones doing the rapingof the citizenry and manipulating of governments.
Which is why this comment wasn't directed towards you, but towards the one who said that the six cent per gallon profit was from the oil company.
[QAgain, I worked those oil fields and watched the Exxon drill rigs drill down to over 22000 feet deep. I never claimed it was an easy or cheap endeavor. My comments were that no matter how much it costs Exxon (or any other oil company) to find, extract, transport and refine that oil, we pay the same price that we are charged for this "High Price" Middle-Eastern oil...WHY?[/quote]
Because you're willing to pay it. That's how purchases work - you pay what you are willing to pay for what is being sold to you. It's also because you're not buying crude oil - you're buying the refined product, which has significant value added through processing. Middle East oil is expensive because it needs less refining to achieve the desired product, while other oils require more refining and are proportionally cheaper as crude.
Nope, no one is forcing me to buy. :roll: Try living without oil...whether it be gasoline for my vehicles, diesel fuel for the trucks and trains that deliver food and other goods to every part of the country, plastics which are made from oil, or the vast number of things that contain petrocarbons...It can't be done.
I fill up my car once per month at a cost of about $35. I don't complain about the price because I'm choosing to drive 200-300 miles per month. I used to drive more, but I've been on a fixed income (grad student stipend) for years, so I couldn't keep up with the rising price of gas. I did something about it and started using public transportation rather than just whining. Your paragraph here is exactly the whining I'm talking about. You're addicted to the products of oil companies, yet you think they should lower their prices just to make it easier on your pocketbook. In reality, you should lower your consumption to make it easier on your pocketbook. Their job is to profit as much as they can, and you are the one enabling them. I recycle plastic, which does defray the cost, but I also recognize that only a certain fraction of polymers used in products can be comprised of recycled thermoplastics (about 30% for most applications) simply due to the physics of polymers. I use biopolymers - polymers excreted by bacteria - in my research. There are ways around paying oil companies through the nose, but you have to be a bit creative and actually seek a solution. Asking congress to lop their peepees off because you are unhappy that they're making money off of your reckless spending is completely irresponsible and indicative of the trend in this country against the idea of personal fiscal responsibility.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: beyoku
- #1 Thing - Cut military spending by 95% and create that "Department of Peace." (Dont need more WMD for people fighting us with box cutters)
Ms. Lee, is that you?! Come here sweety... take your meds... that's a good girl... now swallow... good girl! :confused:

seriously, that may be some of the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard -- when I first heard Barbara Lee spout that garbage, I wanted to reach into my radio and ring her retarded neck.

- Tell the truth about E.T.'s and UFOs.
ahh, OK, the picture is getting more and more clear by the second... got tinfoil?

- Promote a 'culture of education.'
what does that mean in English? and will that "take a village"?

Stop being a war zombie. Again we already have enough WMD to blow up the world like a thousand times. The us had NO need to buy more weapons systems. No one is going to invade the US...........

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
- #1 Thing - Cut military spending by 95% and create that "Department of Peace." (Dont need more WMD for people fighting us with box cutters)
Ms. Lee, is that you?! Come here sweety... take your meds... that's a good girl... now swallow... good girl! :confused:

seriously, that may be some of the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard -- when I first heard Barbara Lee spout that garbage, I wanted to reach into my radio and ring her retarded neck.

ahh, OK, the picture is getting more and more clear by the second... got tinfoil?

Stop being a war zombie. Again we already have enough WMD to blow up the world like a thousand times. The us had NO need to buy more weapons systems. No one is going to invade the US...........

Wrong you are...Mexico is invading the USA every day...and they're taking it back without firing a shot...

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
1. Fix economy and control budget spending
2. GTFO of Iraq
3. Make healthcare more realistic and affordable
4. Promote nuclear energy and electric/hydrogen cars like crazy
5. Get rid of electoral college

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I wouldnt call 6 cents/gal profit raping....

Do you work for the oil industry? You're always pretty quick to their defense...

Here's one for ya then...If Texachevexrco oil company drills for oil in Louisiana, Texas, Alaska, new Joisey, where ever...Why aren't they making more than 6 cents/gallon profit on that oil?

Obviously, the transportation costs are MUCH less, and the costs of getting the oil SHOULD be much less...so why is the cost (to us) of the end product so high?

If it costs them $25-$50/bbl to produce and transport the oil, why do they sell it to themselves at market prices?

You're fooling yourself if you believe they only make 6 cents per gallon. MAYBE on the sales of gasoline...but certainly not on all the products made from that barrel of oil, including diesel fuel, avation fuels, motor oil, bunker fuel, etc.

Please provide links for your claims. Thanks.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

your fantasy is in believing that we have that option to begin with. Unless you can convince every other nation on earth to do the same, at the exact same time, then it's simply suicidal for us to do so alone...

unless that's what you want... our destruction... sooner, rather than later... ?

Our defense budget is minor, in terms of percentage, compared to many countries in the world; and, we already have a "Department of Peace" -- we just happen to call it the Department of State instead.

peace man...