Question If you were thinking of buying an ABS pre-built PC, to get a GPU...think again? (Read recent reviews!) (updated)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This may be an isolated instance with one batch of GPUs... but you have to admit, it's a bad look, especially with ABS apparently stonewalling those customers.

Edit: Steve from GN reviewed an ABS pre-built for $1000,seems like he liked it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

This may be an isolated instance with one batch of GPUs... but you have to admit, it's a bad look, especially with ABS apparently stonewalling those customers.

And in the end the offending parties will still profit. That is why I prefer to pay by bill or if not possible by paypal or credit card. Bill is perfect as you simply don't pay until the fix it or you just send it back and no need to worry about getting the refund. With papal or credit card you might get them to deal with it but already more work on my part.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've started looking into prebuilts to get a new system core CPU/Motherboard/Ram/Cooler etc....

I've accepted my 980TI just got it tour of duty extended.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I've started looking into prebuilts to get a new system core CPU/Motherboard/Ram/Cooler etc....

I've accepted my 980TI just got it tour of duty extended.

ironically, ive found it more difficult to get core components then the gpu.
I was able to secure a 3090 + 6900XT + 3070, so its not impossible @ MSRP. It just takes a bit of luck and eVGA queue.

The cpu tho is a PITFA (5900X+5600X), and so are Platinum/Titanium Rated PSU's in > 850W.
Ram chips > then 16gb @ high speeds > 3600mhz are also difficult to come by.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
ironically, ive found it more difficult to get core components then the gpu.
I was able to secure a 3090 + 6900XT + 3070, so its not impossible @ MSRP. It just takes a bit of luck and eVGA queue.

The cpu tho is a PITFA (5900X+5600X), and so are Platinum/Titanium Rated PSU's in > 850W.
Ram chips > then 16gb @ high speeds > 3600mhz are also difficult to come by.

- That's fair. My system is so old that just about anything I pick up nowadays would be a major upgrade.

I'm finding plenty of 10700K systems (AIO cooler and everything) with the GPU torn out going for less whole than just the CPU + MB goes for on Amazon. Not Dells with their crap components but semi-custom builds by boutique builders.

Its tempting to bite and scratch the itch, but in my heart I know that all that extra CPU power wouldn't do squat for me with a 980TI anyhow and I might as well wait and do a core system rebuild in about a year or two when things ease up.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Its tempting to bite and scratch the itch, but in my heart I know that all that extra CPU power wouldn't do squat for me with a 980TI anyhow and I might as well wait and do a core system rebuild in about a year or two when things ease up.

This is really debatable at what games you play and what resolution.
Yes you will be bottle necked, but its a factor in what game and by what.
Being bottle necked in R7 Siege, is not the same as being bottlenecked in Cyberpunk.

Personally a gpu recommendation is really in my +1 as your first expenditure, unless you somehow manage to get and find a 5600X + 5900X @ MSRP @ Authorized Retailer most important one as i hear AMD will not honor warranty if you bought EBAY Shuck unless they provided you with a valid receipt.

But man, those 2 CPU's are extremely stressful in trying to secure.
My cousin just about gave up on the 5600X, and i have already gotten a 5800X and gave up on the 5900X, as i feel the 7000 series will come out by the time i finally get one @ MSRP.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER