If you were POTUS and you have to give the States of the Union today...

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
What will be your speech?

What positive things or accomplishments can you say or claim?

If I had to do it, I don't think I could, probably read my resignation letter.

Edit: I guess I'll give a bit more about what I think.

With the country at its worst debt and trade deficit; credit crisis, economic downturns (that's lightly put), quagmire in international diplomacy and security, falling dollar, amongst many other domestic issues; I wonder how we'll come out of this.

Would it be wrong of me to take flight?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Please.

I'd start off with the NK news if I were Bush. Be forceful but diplomatic by stating that a once rogue nation with nuclear ambitions is now in the process of deconstructing their weapons program. Compare that progress with the potential progress you could have with the Iranian weapons program. Talk about the reduced death tolls in Iraq. Etc.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I guess you could spin NK as being no longer a rogue nation, but it's just baloney. That's what they do, build up their nuclear program, then get a ton of money for dismantling it, wash, rinse, repeat.
That's pretty much their entire GDP.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
My Fellow Americans,

We're fucked, but at least we have good Mexican food.

Good night, and stay classy San Diego.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
"It's haaarrrdd bein' President."
"but at least Laura still like me"

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: shinerburke
My Fellow Americans,

:laugh:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'd start off with the NK news if I were Bush. Be forceful but diplomatic by stating that a once rogue nation with nuclear ambitions is now in the process of deconstructing their weapons program.

We already covered that elsewhere. NK was not a success for Bush or any other non-Kim power. He got his nukes, he got his aid, what more can he want? Chiming on about it being a success is like saying Al Qeada are not in some particular city in Iraq thanks to the US removing them, even though they were never there before the war anyway.

Bush would not be able to address any substantial positves right now.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
My Fellow Americans,

Your fucked, but at least I have good Mexican help.

Corrected. :D

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
These speeches are almost always "all is well" fluff pieces, are they not? If they are, I'd certainly break with Tradition and lay a lot of things on the proverbial table.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
'We're making real progress in Iraq. If we don't fight them there we'll be fighting them here. But Congress can't even do their job of supporting our troops by giving me another couple hundred billion for the effort. We've got to win there and be ready for Iran since they're trying to build nukes to use against us. I may have said before that they're getting nukes would be the start of WWIII. Blah..., blah... blah... Rinse and repeat.'

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
My Fellow Americans,

:thumbsup:

"Countrymen, I intend on withdrawing all our nation's troops stationed in Iran by the end of next year!"

*aid whispers in Dubya's ear*

"Really?"

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I'd start off with the NK news if I were Bush. Be forceful but diplomatic by stating that a once rogue nation with nuclear ambitions is now in the process of deconstructing their weapons program.

We already covered that elsewhere. NK was not a success for Bush or any other non-Kim power. He got his nukes, he got his aid, what more can he want? Chiming on about it being a success is like saying Al Qeada are not in some particular city in Iraq thanks to the US removing them, even though they were never there before the war anyway.

Bush would not be able to address any substantial positves right now.

His nukes are in the process of being deconstructed. That is a success by any standard since NK has long been a rogue nation. Bush made his mistakes with NK back in 02 at the State of the Union by calling them part of the axis of evil, as that greatly stalled talks. But let's be real here, the fact that NK might officially declare an end to the war with South Korea and open up trade with them, combined with the decommissioning of their nuclear weapons...yeah, it's pretty clear that's a success by any standard.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
My fellow Americans, I am here to announce my resignation effective immediately at the end of this speech. As my last act of president I hereby announce the disbandment and dismantling of all federal bureaucracies. All money in the U.S. Treasury is now being distributed from above in helicopters. Thank you and good night.