If you were going to sail across the ocean, what size sailboat would you get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Maybe you should just sail around the mediterranean, you can get away with a smaller boat

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
I agree with a previous poster, no less than a 45 footer. I've spent quite a bit of time sailing a 36', and there is no way I would try it in one that size. Even a 45' would be scary, 55-60' would be more appropriate

This one would do nicely
2006 60ft Cape Fear

If money was of no concern this would be my choice:)
192ft schooner

D

Deleted member 4644

Fairly small ships *can* make it across. As I recall from school the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria were very small ships on the order of 50 feet.

WolverineGator

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2001
It's not the size of the boat that matters, but I would desire 36+ feet for comfort. You need an ocean going class sailboat. These boats aren't fast performers and are more expensive than regular cruise ships (like Hunter's etc.). You will need a large and heavy ballast (12,000+ pounds) and you can expect to pay $100k for a fairly nice 20 year old 40' boat.

Does it have a Bruce anchor? How good is the auto-helm? Of course there are a lot of other details to look over and one of the most important is the condition of the motor and how many hours it has. Replacing a motor might involve ripping up the deck, so this vital component should be in excellent shape.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
I agree with a previous poster, no less than a 45 footer. I've spent quite a bit of time sailing a 36', and there is no way I would try it in one that size. Even a 45' would be scary, 55-60' would be more appropriate

This one would do nicely
2006 60ft Cape Fear

If money was of no concern this would be my choice:)
192ft schooner

My Mom was planning to sail her 43' sailboat across the Atlantic a few years ago. She has sailed it from FL up the coast of the US to NY and back down and sailed it all the way down to Brazil and back.

It depends more on how the boat is made and setup than on its size. Her boat was designed as an off shore cruising boat and she and her husband could easily handle it in rough seas. I was going to try to go on their transatlantic voyage but a back injury and botched back surgery suffered by my Mom prevented her from ever realizing that dream.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: WolverineGator
It's not the size of the boat that matters, but I would desire 36+ feet for comfort. You need an ocean going class sailboat. These boats aren't fast performers and are more expensive than regular cruise ships (like Hunter's etc.). You will need a large and heavy ballast (12,000+ pounds) and you can expect to pay $100k for a fairly nice 20 year old 40' boat.

Does it have a Bruce anchor? How good is the auto-helm? Of course there are a lot of other details to look over and one of the most important is the condition of the motor and how many hours it has. Replacing a motor might involve ripping up the deck, so this vital component should be in excellent shape.

Found a few Westsail 32 footers for pretty reasonable prices. Might look into those a bit more.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: WolverineGator

Found a few Westsail 32 footers for pretty reasonable prices. Might look into those a bit more.

There was a guy selling a 35' Ericson for $8k on ebay about a week ago. He was in the process of restoring it and the hull was pretty much done but it needed an engine, rigging and it had no sails. I figured it would need another $10k at least to get it in the water.

Edit-I actually called some local yards and asked about costs to finish this boat. I have a couple friends who were interested in going in on a partnership on a sailboat but the costs of finishing this boat and berthing her would have been too much.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'd get a boat exactly the same size as the ocean then I could just drive across the deck and not have to deal with all that sailing crap. God, how I hated learning those stupid sailing knots.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Slightly off the point, but a fascinating read for anyone thinking of sailing the world:

This guy tells the whole story starting from learning how to sail, all the way through to circumnavigating the world singlehanded in a 31 foot sailboat:

Text

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Sail away with me honey
I put my heart in your hands
Sail away with me honey now, now, now
Sail away with me
What will be will be
I wanna hold you now

Crazy skies all wild above me now
Winter howling at my face