If you were going to get a large Plasma or LCD TV today, which would you pick?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
The best, bar none. But that's if I had the money. The next best thing is an Elite series, and for ME, I'm looking to get the Pionner PDP-5070HD. BEAUTIFUL HDTV. I'd take the 720p plasma over an 1080p LCD or DLP any day. Specs don't always paint an accurate picture. I LOVE the plasma's colors which just can't be beat. You can put an 1080p LCD or DLP right beside the Pioneer 5070, and the colors just don't look as vibrant as the plasma's. BUT, some people may not like plasmas if they have alot of ambient light. The screen is very reflective (compared to a DLP or LCD), so if you have alot of windows behind you with the sun shining through, a plasma TV may not be the best choice for you. But if you are looking for teh best picture bar none and have teh money, I'd HIGHLY recommend a good plasma.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: spacejamz
had to return my 3 month old Mitusbishi 62" LCD a few weeks ago to COSTCO and got the Toshiba 62HM116 (rebranded 62HM196)...the 62" 1080p dlp display makes my jaw drop every time we turn it on...

can't wait for football season to start...

1080p is great and all, but I don't think there is anyone broadcasting in 1080p yet. THe cable and sat. companies are only sending out a 720p signal. Doubt cable companies will go to 1080p for a while, bandwith issues and all.

Guy at Magnolia/best buy said 1080p is really made for HD DVDs right now.

Of course if I had the money I'd go 1080p, but unless you have the money to blow it might not be worth the extra cost.

not sure if you know this, but many of the 1080P sets today (my toshiba included) don't even accept a 1080p input signal...

however, they convert the 720p/1080i signals and display them at 1080p. it is a very noticeable difference over 'regular' 1080i display...

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Visit the local B&M usual suspects and use common sense. I like my 55? Wega but you may like something else.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BMdoobieW
I just picked up a 50" LCoS (SONY SXRD). Will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

I am so jealous and I almost returned our 50" Toshiba Cinema Series DLP but:

1) We paid $1600 for a $2100 TV, that $500 discount was nice.
2) The 50" SXRD is almost $1k more, although I'm sure it's worth it.

Sony SXRD > *

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
LCD if you need flat or low profile TV, otherwise DLP is best bang for buck

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JackBurton
The best, bar none. But that's if I had the money. The next best thing is an Elite series, and for ME, I'm looking to get the Pionner PDP-5070HD. BEAUTIFUL HDTV. I'd take the 720p plasma over an 1080p LCD or DLP any day. Specs don't always paint an accurate picture. I LOVE the plasma's colors which just can't be beat. You can put an 1080p LCD or DLP right beside the Pioneer 5070, and the colors just don't look as vibrant as the plasma's. BUT, some people may not like plasmas if they have alot of ambient light. The screen is very reflective (compared to a DLP or LCD), so if you have alot of windows behind you with the sun shining through, a plasma TV may not be the best choice for you. But if you are looking for teh best picture bar none and have teh money, I'd HIGHLY recommend a good plasma.

:thumbsup:

Indeed it is all about personal preference.

If you prefer the viewing experience of a DLP go with that. LCD? Go with that. Me I don't llike LCD colours with flesh tones and the blacks.

Koing