If you were going to create your own car show, who would you cast for the presenters?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I noticed that the BBC seems to be having problems finding a new cast for Top Gear that isn't lame. Maybe we can help them out! If you could pick three announcers for the next season of a Top Gear like show, who would you pick?

For my first pick, I'd have to go with Rutledge Wood. I mean, why not? He's in basically everything now, and everybody likes him. He's probably the favorite cast member from the American version of the show, anyway.

For my second pick, I'd have to go with a race car driver. Dale Earnhardt Jr. could be an interesting pick, or perhaps Hallie Deegan instead?

For my third pick, we need to go with someone super cool. Personally, I can't think of anyone better than George Clooney. I mean, the man just excludes coolness. What guy would look better sitting behind an Aston Martin or a Jaguar than Clooney?

OK, so those are my picks. Who would you choose?

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Seinfeld. Leno. Darrell waltrip.

Darrell Waltrip is a bit old to be your race car driver, no? We need someone who's not afraid to whip something like an Ariel Atom down the course at top speed.

Maybe Randy Probst is your guy if you're looking for an older race car driver?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Darrell Waltrip is a bit old to be your race car driver, no? We need someone who's not afraid to whip something like an Ariel Atom down the course at top speed.

Maybe Randy Probst is your guy if you're looking for an older race car driver?

yea, I could not think of anyone else with his amount of personality though! I think you have to give leno and Seinfeld a serious look, they have so much interesting knowledge. i have really been enjoying leno by himself on leno's garage going through a bunch of his early collection cars.

Simon Cowell could be an interesting choice. he has a massive and diverse collection as well.

yoda5

Dec 10, 2014
I agree with having a pro driver. Tiff Needell is a good example. Too often you get these journalists that aren't nearly as capable as the car they're driving. Their talent runs out before the cars' capabilities. Because the pro driver can take the car to 100% I'm more likely to listen to their review on performance than a journalist who can only take the car to 60-70%. Now obviously there's the entertainment factor and cars aren't just about performance. So my three picks would be Tiff Needell, Doug Demuro and Schmee.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Eww... Doug Demuro? I find that guy annoying. If you're going to pick a YouTuber for your cast, pick Ed Bolian or "Rabbit" from Rabbit's Used Cars. :)

Reactions: herm0016
Nov 20, 2009
Twenty years ago we cloned a sheep. We should have been cloning the original UK cast of Top Gear to replace their aging originals.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
i would rather have Cletus McFarland than doug. do it for dale!

I would as well, although if you're bringing in Cleet the show is suddenly going to have more of a redneck theme. We're going to need more Monster Trucks, Swampboats, and rusted out Camaros with huge turbos and nitrous kits :)

Nov 20, 2009
No it doesn't. It needs more manly men who are willing to stand up to the MeToo movement and say snarky, politically incorrect things and cause mayhem on the streets and other places. Everything that made the original show a success. And if you remember correctly, TG had no problems finding women to be part of the studio audience.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
No it doesn't. It needs more manly men who are willing to stand up to the MeToo movement and say snarky, politically incorrect things and cause mayhem on the streets and other places. Everything that made the original show a success. And if you remember correctly, TG had no problems finding women to be part of the studio audience.

Actually, having two crew members with different political views could be a fun addition to the show. Have one eco-hippie guy who's into electric cars and another redneck who's into high horsepower muscle cars, and have them race against each other :)

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Adam Carolla - Dax Sheppard - Steve Dulcich - Johnny Lieberman

Demuro is a douche - he cant drive, he knows nothing about the internal workings of cars, and routinely gets multiple items incorrect. I watched a few of his videos and they are painful to watch. He is an icon for 12yr olds.

I like the TFL crew & SavageGeese.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

Demuro is a douche - he cant drive, he knows nothing about the internal workings of cars, and routinely gets multiple items incorrect. I watched a few of his videos and they are painful to watch. He is an icon for 12yr olds.

The tfl crew is fun, they are based at a dealership just down the road.

Nov 20, 2009

Adam ... hmm ... The Man Show's Top Geariest Show.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Demuro us great with the quirks and features and getting into details. At the very least, it super handy when he goes through passenger room. No one does what he does properly.
Savage geese is my current favorite. They cover all bases and is an actual car show that reviews cars in a way that is useful and informative. The subtle humor is appreciated.
RCR would make a great addition to the writers room.
I stopped watching top gear years ago when it stopped being a show about cars. Id sooner watch old motor week episodes than another boring top gear episode with the same old schtick.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Tyler Hoover - Replace Clarkson
Mister Regular - Replace Hammond
That one Canadian dude who runs AvE - Replace May

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Jeremy Irons, Gilbert Gottfried, Joe Rogan. Whatever the show was about, I'd probably be very entertained.