If you were a noob... would you buy Alienware?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

If you were a noob, would you buy Alienware

• Yes

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I wonder about people who buy expensive items without doing at least basic research. I don't care if I was filthy rich, I'll still google before I purchase.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I recently opted an Alienware desktop to what I have in mind for my next computer. It came out to more than $4000. I couldn't force myself to pay that much....

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
Not likely, a bit of research and browsing for best price would yeild better results imo

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I wonder about people who buy expensive items without doing at least basic research. I don't care if I was filthy rich, I'll still google before I purchase.
You've heard how a fool and their money are soon parted...

And the funny thing is, most of the richest people out there are actually very shrewd with their money. Not cheap, but knowing they got a good value for what they want. The rich definitely didn't get there by being stupid with their money...

Last edited:

lnanek

Aug 16, 2020
I'm lazy, I'd like an Alienware. Just can't stand the idea that if I spent the money on parts I'd have a faster machine, though.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
I'm lazy, I'd like an Alienware. Just can't stand the idea that if I spent the money on parts I'd have a faster machine, though.
This is what it really comes down to--value. If you value your time more than getting the most bang for your buck parts wise--prebuilts are a great way to save time. If you want the absolute max power out of your money--build it yourself, preferably from used parts.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This is what it really comes down to--value. If you value your time more than getting the most bang for your buck parts wise--prebuilts are a great way to save time. If you want the absolute max power out of your money--build it yourself, preferably from used parts.
I agree, but with a caveat. A modest level of PC hardware knowledge goes along ways even with OEM, and S.I. systems. I say that because, otherwise you will often leave a lot of performance on the table. A number of tech tubers have ordered OEM and S.I. systems as a typical client, and reviewed them. With few exceptions, every brand and model tested have had troubling issues. Anything from only 1 stick of ram, failing to set the XMP profile in the UEFI, inadequate cooling, or any combination of those and others, crippling performance; sometimes drastically. To physical issues due to poor Q.A. or shipping. And shoddy PSUs are one of the biggest concerns. Things you have to correct as the buyer, such as heat induced throttling, using dual channel, correct drivers, physical issues, and bloatware, can be too much for many customers. And when the reviewers test the tech support for these systems, and pretend to be clueless, it almost exclusively goes badly. Having support correctly discern the problem (simple stuff with easily diagnosed symptoms, nothing esoteric) takes ages, or they fail completely and want you to ship the whole thing back.

Which means they are often better off buying it in store, where at least there is a return window, as inconvenient as that can be. Having only one warranty provider to deal with is sited as a positive bullet point for tech n00bs buying a prebuilt. But not so much when you immediately have to use it.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
I agree, but with a caveat. A modest level of PC hardware knowledge goes along ways even with OEM, and S.I. systems. I say that because, otherwise you will often leave a lot of performance on the table. A number of tech tubers have ordered OEM and S.I. systems as a typical client, and reviewed them. With few exceptions, every brand and model tested have had troubling issues. Anything from only 1 stick of ram, failing to set the XMP profile in the UEFI, inadequate cooling, or any combination of those and others, crippling performance; sometimes drastically. To physical issues due to poor Q.A. or shipping. And shoddy PSUs are one of the biggest concerns. Things you have to correct as the buyer, such as heat induced throttling, using dual channel, correct drivers, physical issues, and bloatware, can be too much for many customers. And when the reviewers test the tech support for these systems, and pretend to be clueless, it almost exclusively goes badly. Having support correctly discern the problem (simple stuff with easily diagnosed symptoms, nothing esoteric) takes ages, or they fail completely and want you to ship the whole thing back.

Which means they are often better off buying it in store, where at least there is a return window, as inconvenient as that can be. Having only one warranty provider to deal with is sited as a positive bullet point for tech n00bs buying a prebuilt. But not so much when you immediately have to use it.
I think the same caveats apply even when building things yourself, except that you can get stuck when you can't diagnose what's wrong on your own and have to post on a forum and wait for potential answers. This can be quite frustrating if you have only one system and it's down.

Computers are complicated machines, and the consumer's desire to 'dummy them down' just opens them up to exploitation, which companies are happy to do and dumb consumers are willing to pay. It's why Apple has made billions with overpriced hardware--there is a market for this sort of thing with rubs those of us with intelligence the wrong way since in a sense it is wrong. But in the business world, filling a need with a product versus education is profitable so it's 'good' business.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I think the same caveats apply even when building things yourself, except that you can get stuck when you can't diagnose what's wrong on your own and have to post on a forum and wait for potential answers. This can be quite frustrating if you have only one system and it's down.

Computers are complicated machines, and the consumer's desire to 'dummy them down' just opens them up to exploitation, which companies are happy to do and dumb consumers are willing to pay. It's why Apple has made billions with overpriced hardware--there is a market for this sort of thing with rubs those of us with intelligence the wrong way since in a sense it is wrong. But in the business world, filling a need with a product versus education is profitable so it's 'good' business.
I don't disagree. But there is an important differentiation between DIY and buying prebuilt. That being, even if things do go wrong with the build, requiring help or even return, valuable knowledge and experience are gained. As Obi Wan would say - They have taken their first steps in to a much bigger world.

One of my nephews was too eager to get a Gaming PC last black Friday and bought an Acer from wal-mart. On the surface it looked like a great deal. However, the poor case design, bottom of the barrel components, and his using it heavily led to multiple failures already. First it was throttling, so I redid the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU and had him leave the side cover off since that lowered temps over 10c. But we ain't done yet. Next the HDD went belly up. Likely due to the heat issues before I got involved. And it being a cheapo drive. RMA takes time, so he being the impatient type was into another $60 after tax to replace it. And of course the full windows install.

Now, had he not had me, he would have been without his PC for around a month already doing RMAs. Which is impossible for him since gaming is his crack pipe. Which means he would have either had to pay to get it repaired, and that hot deal becomes ice cold. Or replace it, which again, is expensive. And with no guarantee the next system will not have issues.

Yeah, many people buy a prebuilt and use it lightly, never having an issue. But serious gamers can and will make the weakest link fail. Once they get burned, they start buying the really high end ones with extended service plans, and that is a lot of extra hours of work earnings for most folks.

Better to bite the bullet and become a Jedi. Especially since Youtube is chock-a-block with great tutorials that cover everything. Paul's Hardware has an exceptional 3 part that cover about every contention.

• Love
Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, many people buy a prebuilt and use it lightly, never having an issue. But serious gamers can and will make the weakest link fail. Once they get burned, they start buying the really high end ones with extended service plans, and that is a lot of extra hours of work earnings for most folks.

Better to bite the bullet and become a Jedi. Especially since Youtube is chock-a-block with great tutorials that cover everything. Paul's Hardware has an exceptional 3 part that cover about every contention.[/B]
Agreed! But not everyone is "cut out" to "be a (PC hardware) Jedi". Sad to say it. Which is why, I'm the (PC hardware Jedi) for my circle of friends. But I've introduced them to the (PCMR "Force").

So I guess I would say, "If you're not going to become a (PC) Jedi yourself, seek out your (local) (PC) Jedi Master, and DON'T buy PCs from 'the Empire' (pre-built OEM rigs)." Because they suck.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Agreed! But not everyone is "cut out" to "be a (PC hardware) Jedi". Sad to say it. Which is why, I'm the (PC hardware Jedi) for my circle of friends. But I've introduced them to the (PCMR "Force").
My experience is that if they did not have us, they would go back to, or start, console gaming. ;) PC gaming requires too many sacrifices for those seeking the path of least resistance.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
I don't disagree. But there is an important differentiation between DIY and buying prebuilt. That being, even if things do go wrong with the build, requiring help or even return, valuable knowledge and experience are gained. As Obi Wan would say - They have taken their first steps in to a much bigger world.

One of my nephews was too eager to get a Gaming PC last black Friday and bought an Acer from wal-mart. On the surface it looked like a great deal. However, the poor case design, bottom of the barrel components, and his using it heavily led to multiple failures already. First it was throttling, so I redid the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU and had him leave the side cover off since that lowered temps over 10c. But we ain't done yet. Next the HDD went belly up. Likely due to the heat issues before I got involved. And it being a cheapo drive. RMA takes time, so he being the impatient type was into another $60 after tax to replace it. And of course the full windows install.

Now, had he not had me, he would have been without his PC for around a month already doing RMAs. Which is impossible for him since gaming is his crack pipe. Which means he would have either had to pay to get it repaired, and that hot deal becomes ice cold. Or replace it, which again, is expensive. And with no guarantee the next system will not have issues.

Better to bite the bullet and become a Jedi. Especially since Youtube is chock-a-block with great tutorials that cover everything. Paul's Hardware has an exceptional 3 part that cover about every contention.
Totally agree with you, but ime the current and newest generations are lazier than ever and tbh almost a waste of time. Sadly it's easier to profit off of their lack of initiative than teach them.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
My experience is that if they did not have us, they would go back to, or start, console gaming. ;) PC gaming requires too many sacrifices for those seeking the path of least resistance.
I know I would if I was gaming! These gaming computers are more expensive than workstations and servers! o_O:eek: It's actually mindboggling to me, but so is $1000 for a cell phone...