If you only had $10, $15, or $20 to spend on food for the upcoming week, what would you buy?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
LOL ya that's WAY beyond my budget. My 24 bay NAS cost me around 3k to build years ago. (case alone was like $1,500, then $1,500 of components to go in it) I just add/upgrade drives as needed. One of my arrays is a raid 5 with 8 1TB drives so I will retire that eventually to free up slots. I have 2 spare slots too so probably end up doing a 10 drive raid 10 with 8 or 10TB drives at some point. The longer I wait the more affordable and big the drives get.

I should consider looking at ZFS but mdadm raid has been rock solid so might stick with that. Still want to redo my storage and VM infrastructure so I can have multiple VM hosts and HA and do shared storage. I want to look at Proxmox.

Those 16TB drives you linked to are on the American site. Change to .ca and they're $656.43. So roughly $100 per 2TB. Still decent but nowhere near as cheap as other stuff posted. We don't really get as many good deals here.

Reactions: killster1

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
LOL ya that's WAY beyond my budget. My 24 bay NAS cost me around 3k to build years ago. (case alone was like $1,500, then $1,500 of components to go in it) I just add/upgrade drives as needed. One of my arrays is a raid 5 with 8 1TB drives so I will retire that eventually to free up slots. I have 2 spare slots too so probably end up doing a 10 drive raid 10 with 8 or 10TB drives at some point. The longer I wait the more affordable and big the drives get.

I should consider looking at ZFS but mdadm raid has been rock solid so might stick with that. Still want to redo my storage and VM infrastructure so I can have multiple VM hosts and HA and do shared storage. I want to look at Proxmox.

Those 16TB drives you linked to are on the American site. Change to .ca and they're $656.43. So roughly $100 per 2TB. Still decent but nowhere near as cheap as other stuff posted. We don't really get as many good deals here.

Dang!

Yeah, I mean, those are all for business use, at least the ones that I install, haha. But to be able to have a safe 160TB array...in a compact box...with virtually zero work...for under ten grand...I mean, that's just incredible.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah for a business that is definitely good. I've seen companies drop 60 grand on a 5TB SAN. "But it has 4 hour support!". Mind you that was years ago but even back then I had over 5TB of redundant space at home.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nice! 12-bay NAS... drool.

I've got 3x 4-bay NAS units, 4x5TB Seagate DM5, 4x8TB WD Red, and 4x10TB WD Red. All shucked from externals, at rock-bottom prices (at the time). I saved big bucks, even as I was spending (relative to my income) big bucks too. (I didn't buy those all at once, of course... it's been a few years.)

I refuse to buy any Seagate NAS units, after they SCREWED OVER "GoFlex Home" single-bay NAS users. They "discontinued" the product, and shut down their "cloud service" which is REQUIRED to initialize the NAS!. I made the mistake of forgetting my password, holding down the RESET button to re-initialize the NAS, and then finding out that the "Cloud service" is REQUIRED to do so (can't do it all locally), and that they SHUT IT DOWN, so my NAS was now a BRICK!

The very least that that could have done, IMHO, is provide a firmware update, a final one, that removed the requirement for the cloud service entirely, and allowed you to continue to use and re-initialize the NAS all locally.

FUCK SEAGATE. They can't be trusted to support their customers.

OTOH, I've got a few Lenovo/EMC IX2-DL 2-bay NAS units, which have been discontinued for some time now, and they're still releasing (security-related) firmware updates!. A class act all around, from Lenovo/EMC.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Nice! 12-bay NAS... drool.

I've got 3x 4-bay NAS units, 4x5TB Seagate DM5, 4x8TB WD Red, and 4x10TB WD Red. All shucked from externals, at rock-bottom prices (at the time). I saved big bucks, even as I was spending (relative to my income) big bucks too. (I didn't buy those all at once, of course... it's been a few years.)

I refuse to buy any Seagate NAS units, after they SCREWED OVER "GoFlex Home" single-bay NAS users. They "discontinued" the product, and shut down their "cloud service" which is REQUIRED to initialize the NAS!. I made the mistake of forgetting my password, holding down the RESET button to re-initialize the NAS, and then finding out that the "Cloud service" is REQUIRED to do so (can't do it all locally), and that they SHUT IT DOWN, so my NAS was now a BRICK!

The very least that that could have done, IMHO, is provide a firmware update, a final one, that removed the requirement for the cloud service entirely, and allowed you to continue to use and re-initialize the NAS all locally.

FUCK SEAGATE. They can't be trusted to support their customers.

OTOH, I've got a few Lenovo/EMC IX2-DL 2-bay NAS units, which have been discontinued for some time now, and they're still releasing (security-related) firmware updates!. A class act all around, from Lenovo/EMC.

You! Stop buying hardware. Buy food!

Reactions: dave_the_nerd

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is it bad that this thread is making me want to buy computer hardware? :p

Been wanting to experiment with migrating my VM setup to Proxmox and I need at least 2 semi identical machines to do that with. 3 machines (or any uneven number) is preferred for HA to work right. AMD based is fairly cheap to build, can build a decent machine for a bit under $1,000 depending how crazy I go with the ram.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Is it bad that this thread is making me want to buy computer hardware? :p

Been wanting to experiment with migrating my VM setup to Proxmox and I need at least 2 semi identical machines to do that with. 3 machines (or any uneven number) is preferred for HA to work right. AMD based is fairly cheap to build, can build a decent machine for a bit under $1,000 depending how crazy I go with the ram.
I just built a Ryzen 5 1600 system for well under that, a true 6 core CPU for $100, crazy cheap. Unless you want a high end video card you will be well below $1,000.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I just built a Ryzen 5 1600 system for well under that, a true 6 core CPU for $100, crazy cheap. Unless you want a high end video card you will be well below $1,000.
Canada...And he is in bear country.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Stuff is just way more expensive here. You can't get a higher end or even mid end cpu for only $100. This is cheapest 6 core I could find. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX71224

The APUs are cheap though, they are actually under $100. but the CPU is only one small part of the price of a system. Every part is typically $100 or more.

Still relatively cheap though, it was even more expensive like 3-4 years ago. Stuff seems to be going down. Just not dirt cheap like in the states. Then again if I need medical help I don't have to shell out tons of cash or sell the house, so there's that. Tradeoffs I guess.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am assembling a machine for my brother.
Ryzen 3700x
Aorus gaming x570 mb
Corsair 16gb ddr4 3200
Adata 512gb nvme
Powercolor rx5700
Corsair psu cx 650w
Corsair carbide Case

About C1400+ tax. Not too bad.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
da fuq? I don't know you well enough to know if you're full of it, have a problem or are serious.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, using the same laptop for about 2 years, not sure what video card it has and here's the kicker are you sitting down? I watch TV and movies using the TV speakers, I know.
CaveMAN, I say. CaveMAN!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I never buy computer hardware any more. There was a time when I constantly upgraded. Now I'm dreading when some capacitor or PSU or hd dies in this aging machine, 'cos I don't want to spend money on just keeping it going the same, and I have no need to upgrade. There's no buzz of excitement at the thought of an excuse for an upgrade, just a groan at the expense.

I think I've bought a couple of external hard-drives since I got this box, for backing up stuff, and that's it.

I suppose the plus-side is, by the time I do upgrade any component, there will be something that's a big improvement yet is still old and hence cheap second-hand.

Hell, I can no longer _even remember_ what my gfx card is! Once upon a time that would have been an unthinkable state-of-affairs.

Edit - it's some nVidia thing, I remember that much. And the CPU is...er.. i5 and some string of numbers.

My monitor is going wonky though, dammit.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I find most of my builds tend to be servers now. My workstation has an OS install date of 2016 if I go by the creation of some of the system folders and I'm pretty sure that's only when I upgraded the OS so I've had the machine for longer. I built this machine around the time I switched to Linux as I felt it was better to have a dedicated Windows machine for gaming and then this one as my daily driver. No more booting back and forth and losing everything I'm working on and did not want to deal with trying to get games to work in VMs never had luck for that, at least not for games newer than Ultima Online.

I'm at a point where I'm itching to build 2 or 3 VM servers so I can migrate off ESXi to something like Proxmox, and have time to play around with it before I go live, but at same time I don't really have a NEED, so I kind of stop myself. AMD route is cheap though so it is tempting. I already have a Ryzen based system sitting idle, just need to build 2 more minus one PSU (have that too) and build 3 rackmount cases and boom I got a nice 3 node cluster. :D

But yeah think I will hold off. Need to at very least pay off my truck...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They finally did the other day. That was a scare and a half. So it paid off half the truck. I probably should have just taken out enough to pay it fully though... but having this debt will make me more disciplined in my spending I guess. :p The stock are my fund for a future property so I didn't want to take too much out. Guess it all comes out to the same in the end though. If I find the perfect property and don't have enough I would just put the rest on the credit line.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
If I had a budget of $20 and wanted to eat as healthy as possible :

1 large chicken breast package- 6 breast, $8
2 bags of frozen spinach, $3
1 large 32oz bag brown rice, $4
1 large stick butter, $3
1 block dark choco, $2

$20 give or take. I'd sub the choco for a 5 pak of chrystal light if you can't stomach water.

Reactions: killster1

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Stuff is just way more expensive here. You can't get a higher end or even mid end cpu for only $100. This is cheapest 6 core I could find. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX71224

The APUs are cheap though, they are actually under $100. but the CPU is only one small part of the price of a system. Every part is typically $100 or more.

Still relatively cheap though, it was even more expensive like 3-4 years ago. Stuff seems to be going down. Just not dirt cheap like in the states. Then again if I need medical help I don't have to shell out tons of cash or sell the house, so there's that. Tradeoffs I guess.
Possibly get someone in the US to order your parts and then ship it to you?.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Asking as a semi-hypothetical. But only semi. I'm on slim budgets for food, after dropping $310 on a GTX 1660 ti, and $100 on a 1440P monitor. That was my food + gas budget for the month. Now I'm down to whatever I can eek out of my mining rig(s) (6 GPUs total, around $10-15/wk).

Snagged some 50% off hot dogs ($1.50/pkg), and hot dog rolls are $1.50/pkg too. Been buying the small Peanut butter jars ($2.50 ea.), or the larger ones ($3.99 for Skippy Creamy Natural No-Stir). Picked up a few small bottles of Jam/Jelly for $0.99 (normally $2.99), and I get bread, either 2/$5 for whole grain / wheat bread (on sale, sometimes), or the loaves of house-brand enriched White bread for $0.99. Also, house-brand "Cola Soda" for $0.99 (on sale, which it usually is, normally $1.29 / 2lt).

Sometimes, also bags of frozen meatballs (Asst meat types and flavors, 2/$6 or 2/$8 depending, usually makes 2-3 meals in the micro), and boxes of Red Baron mini-pizzas, box of 2, 3 boxes/$10, or Celeste Pizza-for-One for 10/$10. Sometimes, frozen dinners, 3/$10 or 4/$10 or 4/$11, depending on brand and size. (Frozen lasagna 2x the meat size is tasty, for $2-3 ea. on sale.)

Rarely, ice cream, Ben & Jerry's for 2/$9 or 2/$10.

Edit: I already have a cabinet full of Ramen Bowls (Nongshim!), try to eat those ... more sparingly now. They make my edema worse, all that salt. Not good for my heart either. Have some Baked Beans, and a bunch of Tuna Fish too (Solid White Albacore).

I do a lot of powdered drinks too, Tea with Lemon, Half & Half (Tea & Lemonade), Arizona brand Half & Half, Gatorade (various flavors and sizes), get most of those at walmart.com. Also recently, some unsweetened Black Tea, found those after I had already ordered some case-like qtys of the other Tea flavors and types.

just get a big stack of corn tortilla for 2$ and eat those with ground beef / by itself. i lived a whole year eating almost nothing but corn tortilla, buying anything small sounds foolish as the bigger portions are always a better deal. Maybe go to costco a few times a day for free samples :) cook up your cat in some burrito's.. chicken thigh's are pretty cheap but 15 a week seems so small i guess just work on meal portions. hows it going? got anything for sale or need a loan i can spare a few bux :p

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
If you're that broke, it's time to show your friends and family how much you love them by dropping in at dinner time.

Reactions: lxskllr