If you only had 1 hour/day 5x/week to play games, what game(s) would you play?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
I have similar time constraints and surprisingly the Witcher 3 is a good one. It's a slow building game so a longer session would be best, but being able to Quick Save just about whenever you want is severely underrated.

If you want to get "right to the action" I would recommend the latest DOOM. Minimal talking and all action, so even after an hour there is a large sense of accomplishment.

Fighting games are also great. I have 815 hours in Street Fighter 5 by squeezing in ranked fights here and there.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
75% of my gaming is racing.
And I spend about an hour 5 days a week racing.
Maybe it's the fact I'm older, but that's about all I can take.
Or maybe it's the fact I play Dirt Rally. There is no downtime in that game. It demands total focus when you're playing.
I'm at 88% of the total achievements... maybe within the next year I'll hit 100%. :)

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I love Dirt Rally... have they added any new environments yet?
No. It's done. I suspect Dirt 4 was supposed to be the successor... but it isn't.
My dream is for a Dirty Rally 2 with new environments. Keep the physics, just new environments. Take my money.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea D4 was a bit too forgiving and I didn't like the way it generated the courses in order to appear like it had more to offer. DR had much better environments but too few of them. I tried to get into the WRC series but the handling is so wonky and different compared to Dirt that I ended up putting it down. I like the tight courses in that game but the car physics make them annoying to drive and the SFX are terrible.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Dirt Rally in VR is just amazing. No idea why codemasters didn't do it for Dirt 4. Project cars 2 is my other favorite VR racing game.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Personal tip- spend a bit of time and money to make sure your system boots quickly, and loads games quickly. Install your OS and games on an SSD. Turn off unnecessary crap in the BIOS and turn on any fast boot settings. Pick a current gameg and stick to it to avoid indecision. Put a shortcut for your current game on the desktop, so you can jump right in without messing around in Steam.

If you can go from cold boot to in-game in just a couple of minutes, it's much easier to get a bit of gaming in. Saving yourself a few minutes every day makes a difference, especially when your total gaming time is so limited. If you only have an hour, you don't want to waste 5-10 minutes faffing around.

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
If I had one hour a day, 5 days a week. You'd see me playing Counter Strike Global Offensive about 15 Minutes of the 1 hour on a community competitive server to get my daily FPS Shooter fix. To follow I'd play the remaining time on Black Desert Online, my favorite MMORPG (due to its mass amount of detail). Most likely one of the five days a week I'd play a full competitive match in Counter Strike:GO, rather than spending the remainder of my time on Black Desert Online.

aldensmith

Feb 21, 2019
I think one hour is sufficient for any outdoor games. Even I can say 30 mins is enough for my game i.e jumping on Trampoline. We had a blast jumping in all the play areas. Trampolines parks are now available for this jumping activity There I see children are also enjoying a lot to do fun things and can stay for hardly 20-30 mins. It also provides a lot of physical benefits also.

AlanWade

Mar 4, 2019
I wouldnt play any games, I am a person that if I start a game and enjoy it, I couldnt walk away after just one hour.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
what happened, lost an arm to leprosy?
Uhh... has anyone informed you that the arm isn't the vital body part for sex?

An hour for gaming is plenty of time if you know how to manage time and prioritize your gaming sessions. Trying to start a game like TW or Civ where you can easily sink four hours into a few moves isn't a good bet, but something with a manual saving system (ie. Bethesda games) then you should be fine. I am curious to know how the OP has dealt with his time issues since this was posted almost a year ago.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Salt and Sanctuary has been unbelievably good and can easily be played in spurts while making great progress. If you're a fan of the Demon's/Dark Souls games, or have wanted to play them but didn't enjoy the difficulty, I would highly advise Salt and Sanctuary.