If you like indie/liberal documentaries... Ironweed Films

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I just want to let people interested know about a nice source for indie/liberal documentaries on social topics (think 'Who killed the Electric Car' type films).

They have a subscription model, one DVD monthly with multiple films, for $17.95.

I have subscribed for a while, and got around to watching the first one last night, and it was definitely worthwhile, while not anything amazing, about what you might expect.

It had films on looking at the use of Mardi Gras beads in New Orleans - and the China factory that makes many of them, getting to know the owner and workers; a film by Naomi Klein on globalization and branding; and a short film on the impact of globalization on a Mexican border town.

It was stirking to note the similarities between the Mexican and Chinese factories - run in an authoritarian manner, where workers, 80-90% girls, live on-site away from family.

Here's a link to see if you would like it.

I think it's good to spread the word on sources for info which are not paid for by big money and therefore some agenda. It's a way to support the indie documentary makers.

There's a saying that every successful social movement has had to create its own communication system/media. This helps create one for today's society.

I have no connection to the product but as a customer.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'd like to ask, why the interest in a resource like this is so low? Do people just enjoy spouting and clashing more than learning anything? Serious questions.

This thread had a read count on page 3 of 22, the lowest on the page with only three threads on the page under 100. I'm interested in why there's such low interest in getting informed.

To pre-emptively respond to some of what I anticipate, it's not as if the accuracy and educational content of films like these is much in doubt, it's more just a question about whether people will spend the time (and a little money) for them, if they want to understand these issues or not. Are the members here finding that the mainstream media are meeting their needs so well, they see no need for content like this?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234
I'd like to ask, why the interest in a resource like this is so low? Do people just enjoy spouting and clashing more than learning anything? Serious questions.

This thread had a read count on page 3 of 22, the lowest on the page with only three threads on the page under 100. I'm interested in why there's such low interest in getting informed.

To pre-emptively respond to some of what I anticipate, it's not as if the accuracy and educational content of films like these is much in doubt, it's more just a question about whether people will spend the time (and a little money) for them, if they want to understand these issues or not. Are the members here finding that the mainstream media are meeting their needs so well, they see no need for content like this?

because it's self proclaimed propoganda??