If you have a car alarm I hate you, I hate your family, I hate your car, I hate the people that built the alarm....

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I was woken up at 4:00AM by a car alarm. It didn't shut off untill 5:00. Subsquently, I was unable to get up when I was supposed to, and now I will be late to work. Next time that happens, I'm prying open the damn hood and forcibly removing the battery. :|

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
If you have a car alarm I hate you, I hate your family, I hate your car, I hate the people that built the alarm....
The feeling is mutual.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Dude, I agree with you completely. But, you must caveat it. I have had my car alarm for almost a year and it has never false alarmed in the early morning or at a time when it would be a major annoyance to the neighbors. I can't say it has never false alarmed as there are a few people in my neighborhood with rather "large" engines if you follow. But, I had my alarm installed b/c the only times our (family's) cars have been vandalized is when they were parked in our driveway.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Next time, just call the police and tell them that a car alarm is going off. They *should* come and check it out, and hopefully find the owner to turn that damn alarm off.

Ipno

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2001
Once, a guy in my neighborhood had a house alarm that kept going off every night at 3AM for 10 minutes each time. This happened every night for like 2 weeks. We kept calling the police on him because it was so annoying but by the time the cops got there the alarm was off anyway.

Never found out what the deal was or why it was doing that, but I can sympathize with your situation. Honestly I think if you have an alarm and it goes off falsely at late hours you should be fined for disturbing the peace.

bigben

Jan 8, 2000
amen to that

I was in Detroit last summer. In DOWNTOWN detroit. Living at Wayne State University. A car alarm went off every morning from 3am to 4am CONSISTENTLY!!! This went on for two months! If i wasn't inthe ghetto and afraid for my life, I would have ran outside and ripped the freaking battery out and keyed the car!

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Having a car alarm and having a car alarm that's set to sensitive in a place that the owner can't hear it and/or doesn't turn it off are two different things.

My Car alarms have never gone off for more than 1minute, and then it's usually because we're in the middle of some crazy ass thunderstorm that you can't sleep through anyway and the thunder and lightning have somehow set it off. (Maybe happened 2x in the last 5yrs).

On the other hand, some people set there's so sensitive a mosquito bumping off the window will set it off. Those are the people that can never hear it going off, or hear it going off so often they just ignore it. Used to be one in our parking garage that was set too sensitive. I used to set it off driving by from my cars exhaust. Eventually I'd come into work in the morning and rev the engine when I drove past to set it off. Eventually it got set to a less sensitive setting. :)

So, I take no offense from your statement and I sympathise with you about your asshat neighbors, but not all car alarms or their owners or installers are bad.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
*tsk*

When my truck read your title, notfred, it started wheezing uncontrolably and the winshield washers just started spraying all over the place.

You made my truck cry, you big bully! :p

My alarm does not false b/c it is set up CORRECTLY. If it did you would prolly shoot my truck though. It has two sirens, both with individual battery backup (so cutting the battery cables does NADA :p) and the factory horn honks as well. In the future, I plan to add one of those "La Cucaracha" horns to blare along with the rest of the cacaphony as well.

Some of us don't have the luxury of having a GARAGE <---*drool* my dream!!! to park our vehicle in. Also, some of us have had our vehicle vandalized TWICE while sitting right under your bedroom window, so an alarm is an absolute necessity. :(

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
That's why I forgoed the alarm and just installed motion actuated gatling guns with 3 second 1000-round bursts. 3 seconds, and it's all over... good by perpetrator. :D

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred

And do you also hate the thugs, vandals, and theifs that make Car Alarms a requirement these days?

CH2

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
someone needs to substitute a woman in the throes of an orgasm instead of a siren for car alarms. No one pays attention to an alarm, but every guy in the neighborhood would come out if they heard a woman. :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This has happened twice in the last year at my apartment complex. The last one I swear it was somebody putting a horn up to my ear. It was ungodly loud and took forever to turn off. In my opinion if you can't hear the alarm or you don't have a remote pager for it turn the f**king thing off. I was just hoping that somebody would hurry up and steal the damn car.

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
someone needs to substitute a woman in the throes of an orgasm instead of a siren for car alarms. No one pays attention to an alarm, but every guy in the neighborhood would come out if they heard a woman. :)

LOL

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
*tsk*

Some of us don't have the luxury of having a GARAGE <---*drool* my dream!!! to park our vehicle in. Also, some of us have had our vehicle vandalized TWICE while sitting right under your bedroom window, so an alarm is an absolute necessity. :(

Garages arent for parking in. Garages are for working in and storing projects. My neighbor across the way likes to park in their garage but then why have a driveway if you dont use it to park in? boggle.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Keep in mind what you're reading was written by a person who was woken up at 4:00AM. I don't actually hate everyone w/ a car alarm.

I still wouldn't mind setting that guy's car on fire, though.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: slag

Garages arent for parking in. Garages are for working in and storing projects. My neighbor across the way likes to park in their garage but then why have a driveway if you dont use it to park in? boggle.

What? If you live where it's cold it stops your car from freezing overnight. If you live where it's hot it prevents it from being an oven.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Keep in mind what you're reading was written by a person who was woken up at 4:00AM. I don't actually hate everyone w/ a car alarm.

What notfred will be doing this Friday night

Good evening, my name is Joe Smith and Welcome to Pyromaniacs Anonymous. Let's all say hi to our visitor tonight, Notfred. *HI, Notfred!*

Notfred, please, share with us what brought you here tonight.

"Um, well, I set my neighbors' car on fire b/c his fcking alarm wouldn't shut off." *Crowd nods understandingly* "Um, but I liked it...a lot...so I started setting other cars on fire...even those with people still in them..."

;)

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

Put a brick through the windshield tonight...it'll make you feel better :D

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Try living above a 200 car open air parking lot. If an alarm goes off, they go off all night, because they all sound the same, and noone thinks its THEIR car. And its not as if you can pop out the window and check, and even if you could, its 4 floors down, and etc....

Part of me hates alarms, but I've heard them in my sleep my entire life, so its also kinda music to my ears....Theyve gotten pretty melodic recently.

The best ones are the ones that talk to you. "Back up off the car, biotch!" :D

We used to tease that one every night for fun. :)