If you had the money, which car would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JackBurton, Nov 30, 2012.

?

Which car would you buy?

1. Nissan GT-R with Alpha 9 package

2. Corvette ZR-1

3. Dodge Viper GTS

4. BMW M6

5. Jaguar KXR-S

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

Yeah, the new redesign. Beautiful, isn't it?

2. Don Vito Corleone

I just don't really understand giant coupes like the M6. The M3 is, to my eyes, better looking, has similar usable space, and is a much more realistic track car (and yes, I do drive on a track). I like the current M6 much better than its predecessor but they both seem like big, heavy cars for coupes.

3. Don Vito Corleone

I think it looks good but the new Boxster looks even better. They are both quantum leaps over their predecessors, in any case.

4. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

If I had 150k, I would look at a 911 Turbo. Why would that be left out of the poll?

5. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Still looks like a squatting dog though.... :/

6. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Because I forgot to put it in. And if I added it to the poll later on it would skew the results. But yeah, the 911 Turbo should have been included.

7. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

Just curious if there was another reason. The 911 turbo is my all time favorite. Hope to own one eventually.

8. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Exactly. I could understand an M5, or an M7 if such a thing existed. Big, fat, heavy four-door with lots of power and a much better suspension than would be expected in that size vehicle. But with SPACE.

The M6 is like a hi-po two-seater...Lincoln Towncar.

9. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

2013 Boxster S and spend the rest on a Ducati 1199 S Panigale because cars are just boring appliances anyway so at least in the Porsche I'll have a comfortable drivers car that looks gorgeous and doesn't cost a lot of money. Besides, I love convertibles.

Edit-removed generalization. :p

#109 JulesMaximus, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

...Boxsters don't make you look like a tool?

At the least, they make you look like a receptacle for some other guy's tool. :D

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet car. And for some reason, Caymans don't have the same reputation. But it's hard to find one on the road that isn't being given a certain reputation by its driver.

It's like how a Miata is a really good performing sporty car for the money. That will make everyone think you style hair for a living. For the Boxster, 'hairdresser' gets replaced with 'obnoxious douche who thinks he's hot shit even though he couldn't afford a 911.'

Stereotypes are a bitch.

11. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Between the model year 2010 and 2013 I found 31 of them for sale on Autotrader within 300 miles of me. Not exactly rare or difficult to find that's for sure.

12. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Well, you have your appliances and I have mine. I prefer the two wheeled ones or the more civilized ones over the 600hp vibrating, ribbed, striped, look-at-me dildos most guys drool over.

Nothing wrong with a Miata. I kind of like them actually. I don't have a small penis though... maybe that's what you're referring to.

13. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

I like the Miata AND the Boxster, although I would prefer them with roofs.

I was just saying that since you said 'won't make me look like a tool' that I might as well reference the obvious stereotypes. Maybe it's different where you are, but around here, Miatas and Boxsters are not driven by enthusiasts. The latter is typically owned by people who want the badge but don't have the money. Much like the cheapest model of any luxury or otherwise high-end brand, especially older/used ones.

14. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

ZR1 is a fairly rare vehicle. You live in California, correct? Probably near the coast, it would make sense to have a cluster of them out there.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/07/22/final-2011-corvette-production-statistics/

~800 yearly? (806 for 2011 for example)

For comparison, I've seen more Ferrari 458 Italia and Gallardo and even MP4-12C in person than I've seen ZR-1s. And yes, I notice a ZR-1 when I see it. Saw one at a dealer, saw one going down I-35.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-ferrari-458-spider-first-drive-review

"Ferrari figures it will make between 1500 and 2000 458 Spiders per year"

That's just the SPYDER model.

The ZR-1 is not sold anywhere besides the US AFAIK, while the Ferraris/Lambos/etc are sold all over the world. And then you have some places in the US where the wealthy can concentrate cars. None of that means that a car that only 800 or so are made annually isn't fairly rare though. They make easily 10x that many GT-Rs by comparison, and I think even Lambo builds 15k-18k cars annually, most of them having been Gallardos over the past few years.

15. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

Strange...I see one and think "I want one!" The drivers are always smiling ear to ear.

16. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Pretty sure we have a couple Miata and Boxster owners here who would disagree with you.

o_O Where did you conjure up this nonsense? I know someone who drives a 2010 Mercedes E350. Guess she couldn't afford the E550 AMG right? Seriously, you'd have to be an idiot to believe the nonsense you just spewed.

17. GoatMonkey

GoatMonkey Golden Member

From that list, I would have to go GT-R. I would rather have a stock one and the change to buy a daily driver.

If I had to get just one car for $150k, I'd be looking at the Audi R8 V10 and Porsche 911 Turbo that didn't make the list.

18. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Ah, I should have included the Audi R8 too. :(

19. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

C63 AMG also missing on the list :D

20. JackBurton

JackBurton Lifer

Nah, I should have replaced the BMW M6 with the CL63 AMG. I only included the BMW because I figured there were some here that just liked BMWs and it fit within the price range. It was also 2 doors. This isn't a grocery getter poll. ;)

21. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

Really. Especially since the Boxster is considered on the best driving cars in the world.

22. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

As far as I can tell the Miata and Boxster and similar cars are the ones actually being driven by enthusiasts. That is to say people who like actually driving cars, no necesarily driving faster than everyone else on paper.

Sure, there are non car-nuts who drive every make and every model. However the incredibly strong after-market (at least for Miatas, I'm much less familiar with Boxsters) and numerous internationally respected Miata specialty shops would indicate that a LOT of enthusiasts drive them.

23. Don Vito Corleone

I respect your taste but am not sure why you have such an obnoxious attitude toward sports cars. Personally I think Euro sportbikes are beautiful but for me the risk-reward ratio doesn't favor motorcycles (I have had too many friends who died or suffered grievous injuries on one), plus, unlike you, I live in a climate that allows for only a short motorcycle riding season. I drive my cars on a track when I can, and love doing it. When I can afford, say, a GT3 for this purpose, I will have one. I don't consider that car (or my E46 M3) an appliance, and I certainly don't think liking either car makes me a person with a "small penis," any more than your Ducati makes you one.

24. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Honestly, the original question was a stupid one and some of the "logic" being spewed in this thread kind of irritated me so I responded the way I did because of it.

You're right. I don't really have a problem with sports cars. Some of their drivers on the other hand really can irritate me but I shouldn't take it out on the cars themselves or paint all their owners with the same brush. Honestly though, I don't think I've ever encountered a dick driver in a Boxster or a Miata.

BTW-I love the GT3. You have excellent taste. :thumbsup: Not sure I could live with the nature of a car like that on a daily basis though... which is why I don't own a Lotus Elise. Love the car, wouldn't love to drive it to work every single day though.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain the motorcycle. There is no logical reason to own one... but I do anyway. Rode it in to work this morning and love it. :wub:

I'll withdraw the generalization I made above.

#124 JulesMaximus, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  25. Don Vito Corleone

Oh, I would never want to daily drive a GT3 either, but I'd be comfortable with a pretty pedestrian daily driver knowing that beast was waiting for me in the garage at home . . .