if you fainted in the shower and fell onto the floor

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
would you go to the doctor or go to work?

#askingforafriend

he also said he has never fainted before and does not know why it happened

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd stay home, take it easy, and see what happened. I almost fell out in the shower once. Lyme disease...

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
How old is this person? Are they diabetic? Any other known health issues?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
First time this happened huh?

Was your friend dehydrated after say, a night of hard partying and the shower was really hot?

Guy have any heart conditions?

If he's not too forthcoming with details, I'm going to go with 'he was yankin it, lost balance, then fell,' and just doesn't want to go to work. Either that, or it's lupus. ;)

Last edited:

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
go see a doctor, could be blood pressure drop, dehydration, could be a lot of shit.

This exact thing actually happened to me, passed out in shower, fell out and knocked toiler paper roll holder off the wall with my forehead.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The first thing I think of after unexpectedly passing out is getting behind the wheel of a car.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I'd have the whaambulance called for me and be checked out, then follow up with my doctor, cardiologist and neurologist for a battery of tests in the following days/weeks/months to come up completely inconclusive.

(If it sounds like I've got experience with this, it's because I do. Happens about once every seven years or so...)

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Probably low blood sugar, that and the combination of steam will give him a dizzying spell. Happened to me once, but I think that was also a combination of exhaustion from travelling and not enough blood sugar.

Drink a soda, watch his diet, he'll be fine.

/ATOT doctor

Nov 29, 2006
You are taking to hot of a shower (err i mean your friend). Did it twice as a teen when i liked them really really hot.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I have feinted, but only once and I had been standing on a hot parade ground in a rigid posture for a long time.

I don't think I would take it lightly. If there are any mitigating factors (exhausted from work or whatever) it might be ok to play it by ear and see if it recurs, but you don't want to miss something serious.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Did he watch the Browns game last night. Maybe that has something to do with it. :\

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
would you go to the doctor or go to work?

#askingforafriend

he also said he has never fainted before and does not know why it happened

Well, thanks to Obama I can no longer afford insurance.

And thanks to my anger about everything sucking I can not get hired for a job.

In my case I would just lay there and contemplate dying.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I'll also vote for "go to a doctor."
I really don't think people normally just pass out.

The closest I'll get is from the extreme blood pressure drop that comes from needles.
I had a blood test done at one point and I told the nurse I would need to lie down. "Nah, just don't think about it, it'll be fine."
Tough to not think about the equivalent of a 2" horsefly nibbling on your arm, but sure, fine, will try it.
I started to get dizzy and told her I was probably about to throw up due to the associated nausea. She finally looked up at my corpse-white face and saw that I wasn't joking, and abruptly hustled me over to a bed in another room.
Still didn't pass out though.

Or following a chest-pain scare, I was given a tiny nitro tablet. That also resulted in one hell of a blood pressure drop. Even laying down, my vision started turning to black, and I could hardly move my arms, but they said they never lost me.

Yes, I'll vote "unexpected loss of consciousness" as being something to get checked out.

The first thing I think of after unexpectedly passing out is getting behind the wheel of a car.
Preferably at night with the headlights off. Those things will just draw too much unwanted attention.

Well, thanks to <numerous reasons in a complex situation, and potentially absurdly greedy insurance companies> I can no longer afford insurance.

My coverage improved slightly after the ACA. More preventative procedures were covered 100%.
Still costs the company more, but I think that's attributable to more than one person.

Last edited:

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Well, thanks to Obama I can no longer afford insurance.

You're like a ray of sunshine. D:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'll also vote for "go to a doctor."
I really don't think people normally just pass out.

The closest I'll get is from the extreme blood pressure drop that comes from needles.
I had a blood test done at one point and I told the nurse I would need to lie down. "Nah, just don't think about it, it'll be fine."
Tough to not think about the equivalent of a 2" horsefly nibbling on your arm, but sure, fine, will try it.
I started to get dizzy and told her I was probably about to throw up due to the associated nausea. She finally looked up at my corpse-white face and saw that I wasn't joking, and abruptly hustled me over to a bed in another room.
Still didn't pass out though.

Or following a chest-pain scare, I was given a tiny nitro tablet. That also resulted in one hell of a blood pressure drop. Even laying down, my vision started turning to black, and I could hardly move my arms, but they said they never lost me.

Yes, I'll vote "unexpected loss of consciousness" as being something to get checked out.

Preferably at night with the headlights off. Those things will just draw too much unwanted attention.

My coverage improved slightly after the ACA. More preventative procedures were covered 100%.
Still costs the company more, but I think that's attributable to more than one person.

Its not complex. Thats the excuse politicians use when they rape Americans up the ass.

My insurance used to be cheap and good.
Obama finally got his fucking communist wish and now my insurance is expensive and lousy.

This is not Advanced Econ 626. This is Introductory Econ 101. He took from the haves and gave to the have nots. And it didnt fix anything but it gave the dumb ignorant masses a warm fuzzy.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I would have your friend go to a doctor. I think, if I can remember right this might be a precursor to a stroke. But I'd stay on the safe side and have it checked out. There's a reason why that happened.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
tumblr_inline_mg8pk2ltuJ1rnl9ur.gif