If you did this to your own kid...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I still have not seen anyone mention what the other option is for officials handling destructive children...send them to time out in the corner? Walk away and shrug their shoulders? I mean how much more lenient than mace could one use to anyone of any age acting out?

So the girl wouldn't put her feet in the car. Even if they called a child psychologist out to get the girl to comply, what should said expert do? Talk politely to a child screaming? Give her an injection of Thorazine? Grab her feet and forced it inside? Maybe perform a suplex?...what is it? Everyone talks like they have the answer but ....

I'm just spitballing here, but how about a stuffed animal to calm her down, along with the promise of an ice cream cone, while telling her that the man across the street is going to get her daddy right now?

Oh, and don't forget to take the handcuffs off the CHILD, so she can hold the teddy bear?

I swear they should make it required to get a license to be a parent, or to deal with any child for that matter, just like you have to have a license to drive a car or fly a plane. :rolleyes:

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I'm just spitballing here, but how about a stuffed animal to calm her down, along with the promise of an ice cream cone, while telling her that the man across the street is going to get her daddy right now?

Oh, and don't forget to take the handcuffs off the CHILD, so she can hold the teddy bear?

I swear they should make it required to get a license to be a parent, or to deal with any child for that matter, just like you have to have a license to drive a car or fly a plane. :rolleyes:

You‘re going a bit far the other way here. 9 year old going crazy, threatening to kill herself and her mother to the point mom calls the police on her is a fairly extreme case.

She needs to be brought under control and probably restrained. Back of the car is sufficient imo. I am one to acknowledge that use of force is not pretty and it’s a lot harder to restrain and control someone who really doesn’t want to be restrained than most people acknowledge. BUT she was 9, handcuffed, and didn’t look like the Incredible Hulk. They could have got her in the car 20 other ways, or just sat her down on the curb, one cop on each side, and explain to her some of what you proposed. We will get your dad. If you agree to calm down we can take the cuffs off. We’re here because your mom cares about you and doesn’t want to see you hurt yourself, etc.

The pepper spray was inexcusable and stupid.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, you really want to focus on methods to calm down, not reward negative behavior. It's a tough situation, emotions are hot, ymmv lol

Mar 11, 2004
Go fuck yourself DSM. I mean really. I sit by and watch you make remarks like this to other people which are totally uncalled for on a daily basis, but I'm done with you. Don't reply to my posts anymore.

I guess its a damn shame I'm not 9 years old so you can handcuff me then mace me, eh?

If you don't like being called out for ridiculously fucked up comments then stop making them.

Mar 11, 2004
You‘re going a bit far the other way here. 9 year old going crazy, threatening to kill herself and her mother to the point mom calls the police on her is a fairly extreme case.

She needs to be brought under control and probably restrained. Back of the car is sufficient imo. I am one to acknowledge that use of force is not pretty and it’s a lot harder to restrain and control someone who really doesn’t want to be restrained than most people acknowledge. BUT she was 9, handcuffed, and didn’t look like the Incredible Hulk. They could have got her in the car 20 other ways, or just sat her down on the curb, one cop on each side, and explain to her some of what you proposed. We will get your dad. If you agree to calm down we can take the cuffs off. We’re here because your mom cares about you and doesn’t want to see you hurt yourself, etc.

Going a bit far? She's fucking 9 dude, and they could see she was not in the process of killing the mom (or herself), they should have immediately started to de-escalate things, keep an eye on the girl and calm things down. Send most of the police around the block and out of sight while one car remains to talk to the mom and protect her if need be.

Instead, the police rolled up and immediately started escalating at every step. They chased her down, handcuffed her then tried throwing her into the back of the car before finally completely showing how fucking shitty they are and macing her.

Then again, I guess frankly since they didn't roll up and immediately just shoot 50 rounds until she's dead (or worse shoot 100 rounds, hit her once or twice and then make her parents watch her bleed to death), maybe we should pin medals on them. They showed at least a little restraint.

I genuinely cannot fathom anyone defending this. Not just the macing, but basically every step that led to the macing. And not only that but when we've seen this exact same playbook regardless of what the situation is (just sometimes they literally start out guns pulled and start shooting), how some of you can go "well what could they do differently?" Like what the fuck? Seriously? De-escalate. This policy of storming in and ratcheting up the situation doesn't work for basically any situation they use it in, but for goddamn sure it never should have even been in their fucking minds for dealing with a 9 year old.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Clearly, you've never worked with children.

And you shouldn't.

In another life, I was the manager of a group home, working with "at risk youth". I did that shit for a living.

I know what I'm talking about, and I know what I was allowed to do under state law. Resorting to handcuffs and mace, would have resulted in one of my employees getting a set of handcuffs all their very own, as they were being driven to jail.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I guess its a damn shame I'm not 9 years old so you can handcuff me then mace me, eh?

If you don't like being called out for ridiculously fucked up comments then stop making them.

What I said, is that this child was highly agitated and not behaving like a typical 9 year old, because she clearly wasn't. You are free to disagree with that opinion which is based on what I saw directly on the video. I also said that pepper spraying her was totally unnecessary. But you pretended I didn't say that and went with your usual hyperbole and straw mannery, and tired absurd insults which make you sound like a deranged idiot: "fascist boot licker" like many other similar moronic things you've said to so many people over the years.

You remind me strongly of another poster called "agentff" who, every time anyone disagreed with him, would say they were "carrying water for the KKK" or some such drivel. The fact is, you can't handle people having different opinions than you. Your feels get hurt and you lash out. Well this board is not a therapy session for to work out your anger management issues. If you cannot engage in reasonable fact based discussion, then you should as I said, go fuck yourself and get some therapy IRL. In the meantime, I don't have to read any of your drool. Bye.

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I wonder why conservatives, who HATE unions sooo much seem to ignore the police unions...

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
What I said, is that this child was highly agitated and not behaving like a typical 9 year old, because she clearly wasn't. You are free to disagree with that opinion which is based on what I saw directly on the video. I also said that pepper spraying her was totally unnecessary. But you pretended I didn't say that and went with your usual hyperbole and straw mannery, and tired absurd insults which make you sound like a deranged idiot: "fascist boot licker" like many other similar moronic things you've said to so many people over the years.

You remind me strongly of another poster called "agentff" who, every time anyone disagreed with him, would say they were "carrying water for the KKK" or some such drivel. The fact is, you can't handle people having different opinions than you. Your feels get hurt and you lash out. Well this board is not a therapy session for to work out your anger management issues. If you cannot engage in reasonable fact based discussion, then you should as I said, go fuck yourself and get some therapy IRL. In the meantime, I don't have to read any of your drool. Bye.

"and not behaving like a typical 9 year old"..

Please enlighten us, Oh Wise One...

Exactly what does a "typical" nine-year old behave like?

What I really wish had happened, is it that little girl had said "This man played with me last week!" While pointing at one of the cops.

I wonder how much shame that would've put into the game...

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
"and not behaving like a typical 9 year old"..

Please enlighten us, Oh Wise One...

Exactly what does a "typical" nine-year old behaved like?

What I really wish had happened, is it that little girl had said "This man played with me last week!" While pointing at one of the cops.

I wonder how much shame that would've put into the game...

I don't know, you're the one who said she's "just acting like a kid" so apparently you have some expertise on the subject, or claim to. I saw a kid shrieking in the video in way way that I didn't think was the way an ordinary kid would act. If you think the behavior you saw reflected a typical "kid" as you said, that is the opinion you are entitled to. I'm not going to argue over what is on a video that anyone who wants to can see because there is nothing to argue over. I see one thing in that video, and you see another. That is pretty much where the discussion ends.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I don't know, you're the one who said she's "just acting like a kid" so apparently you have some expertise on the subject, or claim to. I saw a kid shrieking in the video in way way that I didn't think was the way an ordinary kid would act. If you think the behavior you saw reflected a typical "kid" as you said, that is the opinion you are entitled to. I'm not going to argue over what is on a video that anyone who wants to can see because there is nothing to argue over. I see one thing in that video, and you see another. That is pretty much where the discussion ends.

When you're talking about children, there is no "typical". Children are like gelatin. Pour Jell-O in a mold of a star, and that's when it becomes. Pour it and a mold of the moon, same thing.

This was a little girl, that wanted her daddy. If you've ever been around children, that would mean something.