If you could take a rocket on a one way trip to Mars, would you go?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
hell no
wait
do i get to pick a female companion and/or have high speed internet access? pc or consoles for gaming? what kind of food?

hmmm

i wouldnt

let some other sap who wants to deprive himself of everything so his name can be in a book after hes dead take the trip

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
That's exactly what I am talking about. The spacecraft would have two modules that are connected by a tether. The crew module would revolve around the support module.

I think that the only problem (more like difficulty) with a manned Mars mission would be radiation. The galactic radiation is going to stay fairly constant so you don't really need to worry about that. Worse for your health to be smoking 2 packs a day on earth during the length of the Mars mission. Link
Sheilding the spaceship by storing water in the walls.

I'm just a little worried about if we were to have another one of those cornal mass ejections like last year. Lead lined "safe area" in the center would make me feel a little more comfortable. Some info on the subject

Man these pdf's by nasa are great just got one on space elevators

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Not in this lifetime.

Maybe in the next, when they have a city on mars, or at least a walmart, starbucks, & mcdonalds.

:camera:

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: matt426malm
That's exactly what I am talking about. The spacecraft would have two modules that are connected by a tether. The crew module would revolve around the support module.

I think that the only problem (more like difficulty) with a manned Mars mission would be radiation. The galactic radiation is going to stay fairly constant so you don't really need to worry about that. Worse for your health to be smoking 2 packs a day on earth during the length of the Mars mission. Link
Sheilding the spaceship by storing water in the walls.

I'm just a little worried about if we were to have another one of those cornal mass ejections like last year. See if I can find something on that. Lead lined "safe area" in the center would make me feel a little more comfortable.
Yeah, I remember reading about that. They were thinking of putting a small safe area lined with lead in case of a coronal mass ejection. It would be a stronghold in case of something, and much cheaper/mass efficient than lining the whole ship with lead. Nice link too.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: MailBoxHead
The first person to step on another planet. Your name would become a part of history and would be known as long as the human race lasts.

I guess I'm saying I would, although I really don't know how many years of life I'd be trading for it.

No, life is sweet here. I have no need to be famous.

labrat25

Jan 7, 2004
gimmie decent communications, a killer computer, and lemmie bring my girlfriend and I'm game

i love exploring :)

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
I would. No point staying here and doing nothing. This way you'll be remembered for ever, thus be semi-immortal.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
1. no
2. i rather explore space( like those tv shows, andromeda, firefly, etc etc,) cause a barren landscape is nothing to behold IMHO
3. whats the point of being famous and being remembered after your dead when you can care less about what happens after your dead, not like you'll be there to experience it.