If you could own one piece of military hardware (non-WMD) what would it be?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
ohh man soo many choices.

For fun? a nuke powered sub would be fun or a aircraft carrier.

but for real? a nice wwII fighter plane would be nice

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Emrys
pt boat from WW2, would be a great fishing boat/cruzing around on the east coast.
:sun:
best answer yet, something that you could actually use and wouldn't be extrodinarily expense on upkeep

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
For y'all desiring an M1 tank or other crew served weapons system, just a reminder; you'll need someone to either drive or shoot it if you plan on firing while moving. But I suppose if one can afford an M1, then one can also afford the maintainance and personnel to support it. Those things get really crappy fuel milage, by the way.

My choice: a BAR in mint condition.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: Emrys
pt boat from WW2, would be a great fishing boat/cruzing around on the east coast.
:sun:
best answer yet, something that you could actually use and wouldn't be extrodinarily expense on upkeep

Are you calling my Apache a money pit?

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I'd take a P-47 thunderbolt, because while there may be sexier planes, the Jug tops the list for the most loveable aircraft.

Nothing says "you are screwed" like a jug screaming down at you at 800 km/h with 8x 50 calibers mg's blazing and bazooka rounds flying (yes, the used tube-launch missiles on the Jug).

Ahhh.

But for use more than show, I would have to go with a modern nuke aircraft carrier fully staffed and loaded. I bet one of those is a hundred times more powerful than your average nation.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: burnedout
For y'all desiring an M1 tank or other crew served weapons system, just a reminder; you'll need someone to either drive or shoot it if you plan on firing while moving. But I suppose if one can afford an M1, then one can also afford the maintainance and personnel to support it. Those things get really crappy fuel milage, by the way.

My choice: a BAR in mint condition.

An M1A2, without any guns whatsoever, still has a huge potential for causing carnage. Besides, if I want to go solo, I can park it, then move into the gunner's position. Sure, my sustained ROF is going to suck... but what are the cops going to do about it?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
I assume the SR-71 is a no smoking area when its on the ground then due to the leaky fuel? ;)

On second thought, a P-51 Mustang. Fvck yeah. Practical (In regards to some suggestions) and just gorgeous!

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
On second thought, a P-51 Mustang. Fvck yeah. Practical (In regards to some suggestions) and just gorgeous!

Same here...I was wondering when somebody was going to come up with this :)

Nate

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fiveohhh
yeah they're awesome looking saw one when I was at lackland from far away(display thing) and when I went to the SAC museum in Nebraska the other was/is on display there

Heh. I pwn j00 all. I live about 10 minutes from the USAF Museum (Dayton, OH). It's got 2 SR-71s, one of them being the SR-71C converted from a YF-12 that is the actual plane holding the official air speed record since the mid 60s. The trophy is in a case beside the plane in the R&D Hangar.

The SR-71 is without a doubt the sexiest plane ever created. Unfortunately, it would be unfeasible for anyone to own one due to the fact they leak like a cracked vase on the ground. Now an XB-70 Valkyire will get you to Mach 3 without leaking out most of its fuel... :)

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I assume the SR-71 is a no smoking area when its on the ground then due to the leaky fuel? ;)

The SR-71 burns JP-7 which is similar to kerosene but not really flammable without a catalyst (Oxygen is not a catalyst for JP-7).

According to my quick research, a SR-71's engine is started with a puff of tetraethyl borane.

EDIT: So, in conclusion, the area under a Blackbird probably isn't a no-smoking zone. There would be no danger of JP-7 igniting. As a matter of fact, it might extinguish that person's cig.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Mookow
Originally posted by: LAUST
A Cutter from the Coast Guard, then head down to the south pacific and be a pirate ;) Arrrrrr

You could get Fausto as a crewmember ;)

Can I stand around on the deck too yelling "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" all the time?

Only if you want to risk getting Fausto overexcited.

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: TerryMathews

The SR-71 burns JP-7 which is similar to kerosene but not really flammable without a catalyst (Oxygen is not a catalyst for JP-7).

According to my quick research, a SR-71's engine is started with a puff of tetraethyl borane.

EDIT: So, in conclusion, the area under a Blackbird probably isn't a no-smoking zone. There would be no danger of JP-7 igniting. As a matter of fact, it might extinguish that person's cig.

I had read about the sr71 and originally it was started with a big block buick engine. They used it to get the engine up to speed and than iginted it with something. I'll have to dig the book out see what it said exactly again. later I believe it was started with a machine that was basically a HUGE air compressor. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see what i can find. about the jp 7, I know it has a really high flash point I doubt it'd fire it up, but I'd still stay away with a cigarette:D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

I had read about the sr71 and originally it was started with a big block buick engine. They used it to get the engine up to speed and than iginted it with something. I'll have to dig the book out see what it said exactly again. later I believe it was started with a machine that was basically a HUGE air compressor. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see what i can find. about the jp 7, I know it has a really high flash point I doubt it'd fire it up, but I'd still stay away with a cigarette:D

one of the documentaries about the sr 71 related a story where a mechanic would put out his matches using jp 7

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

I had read about the sr71 and originally it was started with a big block buick engine. They used it to get the engine up to speed and than iginted it with something probabl the puff of tetraethyl borane. I'll have to dig the book out see what it said exactly again. later I believe it was started with a machine that was basically a HUGE air compressor. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see what i can find. about the jp 7, I know it has a really high flash point I doubt it'd fire it up, but I'd still stay away with a cigarette:D

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001

Don't they get fueled in flight anyways? They leave with little fuel, enough to land if necessary, but then fuel up in flight because of the fuel leakage on the ground. I am pretty sure thats how they work...

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I had read about the sr71 and originally it was started with a big block buick engine. They used it to get the engine up to speed and than iginted it with something probabl the puff of tetraethyl borane. I'll have to dig the book out see what it said exactly again. later I believe it was started with a machine that was basically a HUGE air compressor. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see what i can find. about the jp 7, I know it has a really high flash point I doubt it'd fire it up, but I'd still stay away with a cigarette:D

Actually, what you are describing is an APU cart. It spools the engine turbine to its minimum operating RPM (typically 18%), so that the compressor is operating well enough to allow the jet fuel to ignite properly. AFAIK all jet aircraft utilize APU carts although some planes have the ability to self-start under extreme conditions.

At one point or another, APUs have used engines from Ford, Chrylser, Buick, and Cadillac. Whoever will make the engine for them at the lowest price that year.