If you could only have one type of water

Mellow

Aug 3, 2004
Take into account the following:

Hot is equivalent to hot-shower hot, AND boiling
tepid is always about room temperature.
Cold is equivalent to ice water, AND ICE

You can only use one of the 3 for the rest of your life, for everything.

What do you choose?

atybimf

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2005
I'm a very big cold person but ice cold is too cold to bathe in so tepid.

Mellow

Aug 3, 2004
Why tepid? you'de have to use it to make all your food? not hot enough for a hot shower? imagine running for an hour, and opening up a bottle of refreshing, luke warm water! not so obvious to me

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
I'd take hot. You could always let it cool to room temp by just leaving it alone, nothing special needs to be done to it.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Mellow
Why tepid? you'de have to use it to make all your food? not hot enough for a hot shower? imagine running for an hour, and opening up a bottle of refreshing, luke warm water! not so obvious to me

Actually, in hot weather if you're doing strenuous activity, drinking liberal amounts of ice-cold water can give you diarrhea.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Tepid.

Originally posted by: dnuggett
I'd take hot. You could always let it cool to room temp by just leaving it alone, nothing special needs to be done to it.

Unless I'm reading the op wrong, you still couldn't use it.

Mellow

Aug 3, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Tepid.

exactly. It must stay in the state you choose.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
One last thing before I call it a night and go to bed.... This thread needs a poll desperately.

ddviper

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2004

Well if I chose hot i could make my food, but couldnt drink it.

If I chose cold I could drink it refreshingly but not take showers and not cook food well

But if I choose tempid, I can drink it, cook with it (a bit at least), and take a shower with it.

-Got obvious choices?

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
I couldn't. I would die. Literally. The earth's ecosystem would be ruined by any of those conditions. Forget cooking or drinking, those problems are trivial. Getting the ocean to stop boiling or freezing (or even being universally tepid) would be a much bigger issue.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: esun
I couldn't. I would die. Literally. The earth's ecosystem would be ruined by any of those conditions. Forget cooking or drinking, those problems are trivial. Getting the ocean to stop boiling or freezing (or even being universally tepid) would be a much bigger issue.

Freezing and boiling water would still exist. You just couldn't use it.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Tepid.

You can tell it to stay all you want. Bottom line, can't happen.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Tepid.

You can tell it to stay all you want. Bottom line, can't happen.

Stupid question. Why pick ice-cold because you can't shower in it? Why pick hot because you can't drink when you need to?

Mellow

Aug 3, 2004
No one here has ever heard of hot tea or cocoa? There are plenty of hot beverages to drink

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
No one here has ever heard of hot tea or cocoa? There are plenty of hot beverages to drink

You're going to drink hot tea or cocoa after sweating up a storm? :confused:

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
All the water I drink is room temperature. If you have good water it's fine.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002

It must stay in the state you choose.

Can I have enough to produce enough steam to power hundreds of giant power generating turbines? If it stays at > boiling without any needed energy input (infinite steam) I'd be making a lot of energy...but entropy may need to have a word with me.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Xanis

Actually, in hot weather if you're doing strenuous activity, drinking liberal amounts of ice-cold water can give you diarrhea.

Actually, reading pointless Anandtech threads after 1am can cause massive diarrhea...

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
Hot, collect some of it and wait till it cools off to tepid and use that for everything else while using the hot water for cooking, etc.