If you could learn a new language, what would you choose?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Spanish. I want to live in South America or Mexico one day. I already know a good bit of German, but I would like to learn French because if South America doesn't work out I want to live in the Caribbean(and there are some French speaking places still left there), but I can't forget Portuguese because I'd like to live in Brazil if my first choice(Argentina) didn't work out.

Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, but if I had to choose a country in South America it would be Chile.

I need to improve my Chinese. After that learning Japanese would be nice.

sparkyclarky

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
I've had 3 years of German (high school), 2 semesters of Italian (college), and I'm currently in my 2nd semester of both Latin and Greek. German is the ugliest language of the bunch, Latin has its high points, but still can be ugly, while Greek and Italian are beautiful. The problem is that what just might be my favorite language (Greek) is also one of the most difficult languages to learn that I've ever heard of. But Classical Athenian Greek is truly incredible, difficulties in learning it or not. I suppose if I'd have to add a sixth language to the 5 that I've sampled, I'd go with French. But really, I wouldn't prefer to learn a new one, but rather master the ones that I've started learning.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Japanese

I need to start understanding the words from the jpop that I keep listening to.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
working on Serbian and Russian..

My serbian is very poor, and my russian is very very poor..

I've been too busy to really learn, lately..

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
i still have more korean to learn....even though it's my native language..i know more english than i do korean.

my other choice = japanese

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
If I still continue to live in the US, I would learn Spanish because Spanish speaking folks will become the largest minority group very soon (less than 10 years). They probably be the majority in a near future (one or two generations).

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Spanish, since it seems to be the state language of california, seems you have to know it.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
i should learn korean, b/c it's my native language... and i already kinda know japanese,

but i do wanna learn Brazilian Portuguese.

bossa nova rocks.

and i want to learn Mandarin too.

ragazzo

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2002
i'd pick chinese since it's the hardest language to learn. there's a linguistic genius who took around a month to learn a language. it took him 4 months to learn chinese though :eek:

CrackaLackaZe

Jun 29, 2002
lol...ok I'll have to go with latin, just cause of my major and pre med, but I have more of an interest in japanese.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Latin is the root of all the romantic languages; by understanding Latin, and how its logic process works, you gain a further understanding of its offspring languages, like German, Spanish, etc.

Ah, it's good to be underappreciated.

FYI

German is not a "Latin (Roman)" language but part of the "Germanic languages" just like the Scandinavian languages, Dutch, etc..

anyway

I already speak French, Dutch/Flemish and English

If i had to choose I would give Russian, Chinese or Spanish a go