If you could have 3 arcade cabinets in your livingroom or mancave?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Galaga is the only game I ever rolled the score past 999,999...it did get pretty boring after awhile though...I blame Matthew Broderick...

At a local retro arcade here, Crazi Taxi is pretty fun to play...

Tron or 1942 would be my third one...

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Two Pinball Machines:
Funhouse
Whirlwind

Impossible to pick a single cabinet as driving and fighting games were my teenage favorites:
MK, SF II, Outrun, Pole Position, SuperSprint, SpyHunter

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
t2_5.jpg

DSC_1991.jpg

This would be my pinball game though

I recently traded away my T2 pinball game. I put a ton of work into fixing her up. Played really well.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I already had Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy. It didn't go over as well with company as I thought. Then again it was stuck in my parents basement before I bought my house. At this point it would probably be an NBA Jam, NFL Blitz perhaps. Honestly not too sure about a third one, some sort of fighter game. Stuff being multiplayer is key, games in your house get old real fast.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
X-Men
Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Offroad
One would have to be Joust since I played competitively. I still play the MAME rom occasionally but I'd love to feel a real Joust cabinet again.

The other two would take some thinking.

Perhaps Jr. Pacman, maybe the original Ghosts and Goblins so I could spend the rest of my life trying to get to that damn castle.
Of course, to get the real ending, you have to do the whole thing twice...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Offroad
Had this one last year too! Got it working with two of the three steering wheels and then sold it off. NES version is a classic and plays great with the 4-score multitap.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I recently traded away my T2 pinball game. I put a ton of work into fixing her up. Played really well.

T2 is probably my second favorite pinball. Never could find one in decent shape for a reasonable price. These days...unless you have tons of money to burn though, getting any pinball is an investment lol.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
T2 is probably my second favorite pinball. Never could find one in decent shape for a reasonable price. These days...unless you have tons of money to burn though, getting any pinball is an investment lol.

Thankfully I got in not too late, T2 was only $900 but not in great shape. Pinball is ball-bustingly expensive right now. Explosive growth for sure.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Honestly I'd rather just have a single full size, 4 player MAME cab. Although I did build my own small sized 2 player cab a few years back.

168x0nb.jpg

5zhzrd.jpg

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
This thread really makes me want to buy another pinball machine. I found an excellent-condition Attack from Mars (not the remake) on Craigslist for $6400, only 1.5 hours away! Or a mint T2 for $2700 3.5 hours away. I didn't need to contribute to my IRA this year...

Since we're all posting pictures of our machines...

Most of the inserts are bubbling but it doesn't affect gameplay, though at some point I may work up the courage to try to remove the mylar which is usually hit or miss with machines from this era (mostly miss). The upside is I found a company making reproduction playfields so that could always be a plan B if I screw up the playfield beyond repair.

At some point I'll build my MAME machine. Already drew up a scaled-down sketch and have the CRT; just need the motivation.

uUEArQ5.jpg

Reactions: ImpulsE69

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Thankfully I got in not too late, T2 was only $900 but not in great shape. Pinball is ball-bustingly expensive right now. Explosive growth for sure.

Is CL the main place to get classic pinball machines? Would love to get a decent condition copy of Pinbot but don’t know where to even begin looking for it.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Is CL the main place to get classic pinball machines? Would love to get a decent condition copy of Pinbot but don’t know where to even begin looking for it.

Craigslist or Pinside. I found my machine on Craigslist but Pinside should have more availability.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You have two of the PCBs I’ve always wanted (KI & KI2). Only 2 PCBs I own are pretty redundant...
https://youtu.be/f0QmL4jlKzE
...not just because they are both MVS, but I already have an AES. Already have both of those titles on AES too. Only other MVS game is Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble (never released for AES).
25d44601ee6a50bbf7a1ba6d2989effd.jpg

Really need to expand the MVS collection. :)

Is that a sewing machine?

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004

It is extremely difficult to find anything on CL these days that isn't trashed or overpriced. You'd need a combo of lots of luck, cash in hand, and time to drop whatever it is you are doing to drive on over to pick it up right then.

As snoopy said, pinside or mr. pinball classifieds are your best bet. Good deals are super tough these days but with a lot of patience you may get lucky. Though getting one from a pinside member who may have fixed / cleaned everything up certainly has value. These things require a lot of maintenance / know how.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Is that a sewing machine?
Why, yes. Yes it is. Doesn’t every game collector have one?

I only got it around the same time as my Neo Geo boards early last year. Here is a pic from around that time where it also happens to be in the frame with some Neo Geo stuff (MVS arcade boards):
uS2HklUl.jpg

It was a $70 Goodwill find:
PhoZ7Z5l.jpg

Believe it or not, I always checked the sewing machines section of thrift stores looking for one of these exact machines. It finally paid off!

Still wondering what would excite me about a sewing machine?

All self respecting cosplayer own Singer sewing machines!

The devout buy Juki DDL sewing machines.
LOL! ...but there is a nerd-crew reason for having it on the shelf with game stuff:
9tY6PHfl.jpg

It’s the Game Boy Color sewing machine.

Facebook Marketplace led me to a second local one last summer:
P7fNfjSl.jpg

Significantly more yellowed but I bought it too. No, I didn’t need/want two. I was after one of these:
pEVaQlI.jpg

The first one was missing the GBC game pak though the Game Boy Color itself showed up a couple days later (priced separately). The game pak probably showed up with the GBC and someone bought that as a loose game before I found the GBC. I also found the pedal separately.

Last edited:

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Why, yes. Yes it is. :) I got it around the same time as my Neo Geo boards early last year. Here is a pic from around that time where it also happens to be in the frame with some Neo Geo stuff (MVS arcade boards):
uS2HklUl.jpg

PhoZ7Z5l.jpg

Believe it or not, I always checked the sewing machines section of thrift stores looking for one of these. It finally paid off!

Still wondering what would excite me about a sewing machine? ;)

LOL! ...but there is a nerd-crew reason for having it on the shelf with game stuff:
9tY6PHfl.jpg

P7fNfjSl.jpg

Significantly more yellowed but I bought it too. No, I didn’t need/want two. I was after this:
pEVaQlI.jpg

The first one was missing the GBC game pak though the Game Boy Color itself showed up a couple days later (priced separately). The game pak probably showed up with the GBC and someone bought that as a loose game before I found the GBC. I also found the pedal separately.
I'd like to find in good condition a used industrial sewing machine at a decent price. When I was 18 I worked at a leather company, and on my own time I could use all of the industrial leather equipment and made custom upholstery for my '68 VW Beetle. It has been 38 years but I'd like to try my hand at that again.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'd like to find in good condition a used industrial sewing machine at a decent price. When I was 18 I worked at a leather company, and on my own time I could use all of the industrial leather equipment and made custom upholstery for my '68 VW Beetle. It has been 38 years but I'd like to try my hand at that again.

I wouldn’t even know how to use a consumer sewing machine but I did consider learning so that I could make custom motorcycle seat covers. Plan to use marine-grade vinyl with this yard sale find:
KQoA21hl.jpg

It’s an old RS-232 SummaCut D60 plotter/cutter.

Also, a guy who made leathery console covers died last year (RIP :() leaving a hole in the market. I’ve still got a lot to learn and someone is making cheaper graphical console covers now but I think there may still be a market demand for these.

Good luck with your ambitions!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Makes me miss the Disney Experience

They had Joust and Galaga, among other classics.

I am thinking of getting the Pandora' Box, as it looks like the cheapest solution. A big thank you to the Lego dude for exposing me to it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

There's always Ebay, but these days you are probably going to pay top dollar for even the most run down machine there.

CL will really depend on where you live, and if anyone is selling local. In most all cases for private selling you'll have to go get it. I haven't done any dealings on Pinside but since much of that crowd are lovers of the game you might be able to get a reasonable non-shopped deal there.

I got most of my pinball machines through amusement/arcade auctions, but that was...wow in the late 90's. Even towards when I stopped going to them the prices didn't justify the condition. I have no idea if they still doing them or what prices catch at them.

While browsing Pinside today I just found that a company released a licensed Aliens pinball game! Unfortunately, they went bankrupt and out of business and only got 100 or so out and sounds like the QC on them was pretty bad...grr.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Why, yes. Yes it is. Doesn’t every game collector have one?

I only got it around the same time as my Neo Geo boards early last year. Here is a pic from around that time where it also happens to be in the frame with some Neo Geo stuff (MVS arcade boards):
uS2HklUl.jpg

PhoZ7Z5l.jpg

Believe it or not, I always checked the sewing machines section of thrift stores looking for one of these exact machines. It finally paid off!

Still wondering what would excite me about a sewing machine?

9tY6PHfl.jpg

P7fNfjSl.jpg

Significantly more yellowed but I bought it too. No, I didn’t need/want two. I was after one of these:
pEVaQlI.jpg

Nintendo you be craaaazayyy!