If you could cut gas prices in half would you do it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
Originally posted by: brencat
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
If gas prices were cut in half must tax SUV owners double or more.

Treat SUV's like cigarettes and Alcohol as a sin.
Yeah, owning an SUV is a sin. Kind of like 1 gun per month rationing (guns are a sin too, right?) How about getting fat -- we could tax you if your BMI gets above a certain point too. :roll:

I've got an idea -- how about you liberals stay the fvck out of my life and stop trying to control everything and everyone's behavior. Live free or die. :|

Nomination for most trite and pathetic pseudo-rant of the week. :thumbsdown:

I bring out the best in the radicals :D

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: Engineer

As far as alternatives it's impossible, sorry. Forget about the chemical properties for a minute more importantly from a thermodynamic sense oils energy density, energy portability and high energy return on energy invested is irreplaceable.

So when oil runs out (or we can't get to it easily enough), then what? We're simply fucked?

Yes.

That's the problem.

Americans just roll over now. Sad

I bet I know more about the alternatives and their weaknesses than you.

Hardly rolling over I have educated myself fully on this issue unlike you pie in the sky types. Most educated scientists, bankers and oil men are pessimistic as well. Bush has 100% off the grid house. Wall Street isnt investing in alternatives knowing payout is weak. And Nobel Laureates say we need miracles that are not possible within the laws of physics and chemistry as we now know them.

I see a lot of words but no offer of solution.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Engineer

As far as alternatives it's impossible, sorry. Forget about the chemical properties for a minute more importantly from a thermodynamic sense oils energy density, energy portability and high energy return on energy invested is irreplaceable.

So when oil runs out (or we can't get to it easily enough), then what? We're simply fucked?

Yes.

That's the problem.

Americans just roll over now. Sad

I bet I know more about the alternatives and their weaknesses than you.

Hardly rolling over I have educated myself fully on this issue unlike you pie in the sky types. Most educated scientists, bankers and oil men are pessimistic as well. Bush has 100% off the grid house. Wall Street isnt investing in alternatives knowing payout is weak. And Nobel Laureates say we need miracles that are not possible within the laws of physics and chemistry as we now know them.

I see a lot of words but no offer of solution.

Use it while you can, enjoy!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I just hope all you convinced we need higher priced gas and more gas taxes manage to have your messiah use that as a main platform talking point. It would be nice to be able to be in bed at 9pm EST knowing that McCain has won due to the overwhelming poll projections.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Assuming:

1) The US had the Cheap to extract Oil to Supply its' Demand
2) That a Law could force all Domestic Production to remain in the US for Domestic Consumption
3) That you could avoid the bullet aimed at your head for doing #2

Sure, cut the Price in half. However, unless you Conserve it won't last long. The only way to acheive that would be very strict Consumption standards, the elimination of Used High Consumption Vehicles, major Investment into Mass Transit, the elimiantion of Low Density Housing in Urban areas(single family homes, Urban Sprawl), and you would still need to move a significant portion of Vehicles to Alternative Energy sources. Basically you wouldn't be in much of a different situation longterm. Given Americans(at least a significant portion of them) tendency to hate everything concerning the Government, I suspect they'd be happy about the Lower Price, but very resistant to the other changes that inevitably need to be done. So in light of that, I think leaving the Price as is probably allows the needed changes to occur with the least amount of Public Upheaval.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I read that they're going to be opening up more off-shore drilling in NJ and I look forward to it, though we've already got some of the lowest gas prices in the country (and we don't have to get out of the comfort of our cars to get it).

I have no problem with the whole ANWR thing, that place is a shithole, except the fact that there seems to be a pretty decent chance that there's really nothing up there.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481

I have no problem with the whole ANWR thing, that place is a shithole, except the fact that there seems to be a pretty decent chance that there's really nothing up there.

I've heard estimates from Saudi Arabia 2.0 to Colorado fields. Thats why we drill. Considering Prudhoe bay accounts for 20% of U.S. domestic oil production I'd lean way more optimistic than nothing up there.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: 5to1baby1in5

I think we have already proven that we are incapable of using nuclear fuel in a responsible manner. Prehaps if we could stop holding the corporate dollar above all else, and act in a reliable fashion, then I would change my vote to Yes. After witnessing the last 20+ years of corporate greed, and good old boy politics, I firmly believe we should be limited to the 'Three and under' toys until we grow up.

I would like to read a lot more about why you believe that. From what I have gathered, it would appear that we handle it quite responsibly. If used more, it could probably be handled even better and it could lead to the development of new very sophisticated and useful power cells. Keep in mind that we use nuclear power all of the time. What do you think powers our submarines?

Rocky Flats Costs $10 Billion to clean up.

Thanks Rockwell!

Hanford cleanup cost soars to $11.3 billion ... if Congress will pay

The people running this place put highly radioactive liquid waste in underground tanks which are now leaking into Columbia River. A guy I worked with grew up in Hanford, and had to give blood tests in elementary school so they could track how badly the kids were being irradiated.

Nuclear clean-up costs 'to soar'

73 Billion British Pounds to decommission UK nuke plants.

I admit that most of the crappy stuff that happened went on in the 50's and 60's, and that we have come up with better designs and regulations since then. My beef is that we are still greedy little children when it comes to making money, and human nature hasn't really changed much since then.