If you could choose your profession all over again -- what would it be??

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Arborist. I'm pretty happy with my choice, but starting over with what I know now, that would be alternate choice.

Nov 20, 2009
I would definitely gone into the funeral business. Business would be so big right now. Jeez, I'd be walking, talking, coughing and sneezing my way through Pubix on a daily basis trying to drum up business.

Just Kidding. Hail SATAN!

Reactions: snoopy7548 and Muse

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I would definitely gone into the funeral business. Business would be so big right now. Jeez, I'd be walking, talking, coughing and sneezing my way through Pubix on a daily basis trying to drum up business.

Just Kidding. Hail SATAN!

This is not mopardude's pagan thread.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lord God, King of the Universe

The Waitresses - I could rule the world if I could only get the parts

"Music is ... a higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy" — Ludwig van Beethoven

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JEDIYoda

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I think pursue the airline pilot gig. I'd be retired in 5 months, mandatory 60.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You can still go to chef school you know
The guy who slept in my bedroom before I took it over was going to such a school. He had a giant tome culinary bible book. I copied several pages from it word for word into a blank lined book in which I have dozens and dozens of recipes. Those pages I copied were on baking sweet rolls of many kinds. I made a lot of those recipes, used to stash the sweet rolls into my freezer.

Reactions: JEDIYoda
Nov 20, 2009
Airline pilto? Maybe in the 1960's and 1970's as you would have a pick of the flight attendant litter but these days its all stress.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think being an airline pilot would get old fast, too much like driving a bus. It would frustrating in that you know the plane can do all this cool stuff but you have to take care that the passengers' pop doesn't spill.

I think helicopter pilot would offer more varied flying experiences.

Reactions: Captante

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I almost went to school for music, and seeing the trajectories of many very talented friends who did so ... I’m really glad I’ve kept my hobbies separate from my job. It’d be easy to say classical pianist, cool guy guitar player, Nat geo photographer, race car driver, or whatever ... I like my job though, I get to work on and am surrounded by things that most people even on this forum would consider science fiction. And it lets me enjoy that other stuff without having to worry about making money from it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't know if I would change my career completely, as I'm making good money and have a very balanced work/life balance right now.

However, had I known about the show mega yachting industry that the show Below Deck is about, before I graduated school, I would have 100% not gone into the "real world" workforce and would have gotten into working on mega yachts. No clue where that would have taken me but I would have LOVED to do that when I was in my 20's. And I would have had my comp sci degree to fall back on if it didn't end up being something to do long term.

My wife and I binge watched a few seasons of Below Deck and I am so jealous of those kids getting to travel the world on someone else's dime while banking money since they don't have to pay for anything while working. Food and housing is completely covered.

Another thing I would do differently if I could going back was working with a startup out of school instead of working for an established company, so that I could have maybe been part of something big from the ground up.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I think being an airline pilot would get old fast, too much like driving a bus. It would frustrating in that you know the plane can do all this cool stuff but you have to take care that the passengers' pop doesn't spill.

I think helicopter pilot would offer more varied flying experiences.
air cargo then. The boxes don't puke or complain. :)
I would have been in jets from early 80's on, and had whatever private aircraft I wanted for the pleasure flying.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Dolphin trainer @ Sea World
Brewmaster @ microbrewery
Cultural anthropoligst living with the tribes in the Amazon or Africa and writing research papers