If you buy a refurbed ipod touch 1st gen what version of firmware does it come with?

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
I can't say for sure but I would imagine it will come with the newest version available if you get it through Apple. I say this because I'd be surprised if they didn't load the newest version on the device as part of their testing.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alevasseur14
I can't say for sure but I would imagine it will come with the newest version available if you get it through Apple. I say this because I'd be surprised if they didn't load the newest version on the device as part of their testing.
I concur.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
Refurbs always have the newest version of the software, be they iPods or Macs.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: ViRGE
I concur.

I'm not sure I'd automatically agree with this. The new firmware is considered a paid-for product when it comes to the 1st gen touch, not a component of the device itself.

Also on the Apple web site, it lists Itunes 7.5 as the minimum requirement. 2nd Gen Ipod touches require Itunes 8 as a minimum.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
I concur.

I'm not sure I'd automatically agree with this. The new firmware is considered a paid-for product when it comes to the 1st gen touch, not a component of the device itself.

Also on the Apple web site, it lists Itunes 7.5 as the minimum requirement. 2nd Gen Ipod touches require Itunes 8 as a minimum.

You could be right about that to a point. It will definitely have at least the 2.0 firmware on it because all Touches sold after that firmware came out included it. it may not have the 2.1 firmware since Apple never sold a first-gen Touch with 2.1. As far as I know, the only thing 2.1 brings to the table is the Genius feature.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Tyranicus
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
I concur.

You could be right about that to a point. It will definitely have at least the 2.0 firmware on it because all Touches sold after that firmware came out included it. it may not have the 2.1 firmware since Apple never sold a first-gen Touch with 2.1. As far as I know, the only thing 2.1 brings to the table is the Genius feature.

Oh, did they? I wasn't aware of it, I thought new touches bought between 2.0 coming out and the refresh still came with the old 1.x firmware. As long as it's starting at at least 2.0 it shouldn't matter, the incremental updates are free anyway.

Tyranicus

Aug 28, 2007
Yes, at least they did if you bought them from Apple. As of a month ago, my local Best Buy's display model was still running 1.0 for some ungodly reason.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
I think iPod touch owners were able to upgrade to 2.0 for free; 2.1 with the extra cool features was going to cost them $19.99. Got this information off Macrumor at the last ipod media event.

So I'm going to assume that your iPod touch off the refurb store would be getting version 2.0; if not it'd be at least the Jan update (1.4)? You could then upgrade it to 2.0 for free.

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Parasitic
I think iPod touch owners were able to upgrade to 2.0 for free; 2.1 with the extra cool features was going to cost them $19.99. Got this information off Macrumor at the last ipod media event.

So I'm going to assume that your iPod touch off the refurb store would be getting version 2.0; if not it'd be at least the Jan update (1.4)? You could then upgrade it to 2.0 for free.

That wouldn't make any sense though. 2.0 was the 'whiz-bang features' update while 2.1 was the 'make all these features work' update. Existing iPhone and iPod Touch users could upgrade to 2.0 for a fee. After you already had 2.0, 2.1 was free.

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that refurbs are treated the same way as new iPods. Once the new version is included on a shipping products, any refurb will ship with it as well.

I could be wrong but that's what makes sense to me.