If you are selected to be part of the BLS Employment Survey would you be honest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Just wondering, if any of you ever get selected to part of the BLS Monthly Employment Survey, which is how unemployment is calculated, would you be honest? Would you lie about your number of hours worked?

Some times I wonder how honest people are with these surveys.

Last edited by a moderator:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Don't know, maybe so you can mess the data up. I think conservatives would love to lie on it, to make unemployment seem higher, just to hurt Obama.

And some die hard liberals out of a job would say they are working to help Obama.

See how stupid you can sound :colbert:

Last edited:

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
IIRC, the unemployment rate is calculated from a different set of data (household survey) than the BLS monthly jobs number (from on the books corporate payrolls only?).

Jobs number is revised after the fact, but unemployment rate is not:

OB-UM272_jobsch_G_20120907152424.jpg

OB-UM274_jobcha_G_20120907152636.jpg

OB-UM275_jobcha_G_20120907152801.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/201...-report-isnt-as-bad-as-it-looks/?mod=yahoo_hs

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
IIRC, the unemployment rate is calculated from a different set of data (household survey) than the BLS monthly jobs number (from on the books corporate payrolls only?).

Jobs number is revised after the fact, but unemployment rate is not:

OB-UM272_jobsch_G_20120907152424.jpg

OB-UM274_jobcha_G_20120907152636.jpg

OB-UM275_jobcha_G_20120907152801.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/201...-report-isnt-as-bad-as-it-looks/?mod=yahoo_hs

Yes, the BLS Current Employment Survey goes to employers and is for statistics on gains and losses on jobs created.

The BLS Current Population Survey goes to households, and calculates unemployment.

I was referring to BLS Current Population Survey.

But both are administered by the BLS.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Any insights on why BLS has apparently reported no net gain in construction workers when they were building only 500,000 homes and now ramped up to 750,000 (i. e. building 50% more homes, but no new net hires?)

Morningstar economist Bob Johnson has brought that point up multiple times and is still scratching his head.

He did speculate that all of those housing starts from spring may be reaching more labor intensive finishing stages soon, so if new home builders have to hire, could see nice pop in jobs numbers right before election (?)

Last edited:

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Stipp: Bob, I want to talk a little bit about the unemployment rate, and this is calculated off of a separate survey, the household survey. There is also employment data in there as well, that they used to calculate that rate. How does that compare with the establishment survey, which is the number of jobs added that everyone takes a look at.

Johnson: The gold standard is considered the establishment survey, because [it is] actual payroll data that's turned in by corporations; it misses certain self-employed workers, and they have to take into account they can't reach certain businesses, and what do you assume about the businesses that don't answer back? Did they go out of business or just get lost in the mail, so to speak.

So there are a lot of adjustments in there, but less so to worry about then on the household survey, where they actually call up and say, do you have a job? And of course a lot of time you call somebody on the phone, and he'll say, yeah of course I have a job. If some stranger calls and says, are you working? Your first response isn't, no, I'm out, and I'm a bum. And so they always question this report a little bit, but the two over time do kind of move together eventually. The households survey had been better than the establishment survey for the last two or three months.

Now this month the household survey actually showed that employment went down by a couple of hundred thousand people even. That's why the unemployment rate went up. They count jobs two different ways. So that's what happened this month with that statistic.

Stipp: So there could be a little bit of noise in there if that statistic had been running ahead the last few months, maybe little bit of correction there. Vishnu, do you think underlying in the fundamentals, though, that unemployment rate ticking up is a bad sign or is this not significant, in effect that it just ticked up a tenth of a percent.

Lekraj: Well, it makes sense, because you need 250,000 job growth on nonfarm, the establishment survey side, in order to see any material movement from the household survey. We haven’t been doing that. So it's understandable the rate is a little bit flat or a little bit higher. There's nothing to get very worried about, but at an 8% unemployment rate that's averaged over this year, it's not good. We need to bring that down and hopefully that will happen over the next six months."

http://www.morningstar.com/cover/videocenter.aspx?id=563032

Last edited:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I would never lie on a government form or when questioned by a representative of our government, they would never lie to us so why would I lie to them? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.