If you are a little weakling sissy bitch then don't join the police force!

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
ARMED AND DANGEROUS
Police officer probed
for killing dog
Owner calls for criminal investigation of front-yard shooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 21, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A dog owner is calling for a criminal investigation into the lethal shooting of her 6-year-old cocker spaniel by a police officer.

Valerie Mueller was in her backyard with her dog Sprite in the early morning hours last Saturday trying to talk a friend out of suicide when police arrived, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

Valerie Mueller (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel photo)

The 38-pound dog bounded into the front yard toward the officers as they got out of their squad cars and just seconds later was struck by a bullet and killed.

"He fell over and flinched," Mueller, 33, told the Milwaukee paper. "To see him fall over flinching and die right there, it's just hard to explain."

On top of her loss, police issued Mueller a $120 citation for allowing Sprite to be outside without a leash.

The Milwaukee Police Department is now investigating whether lethal force was necessary to subdue the dog, the Journal Sentinel said.

Mueller's attorney Alan Eisenberg called the shooting "reckless" and filed a complaint Wednesday with the city's Fire and Police Commission. He also is asking the Milwaukee County district attorney to conduct a criminal investigation.

The Milwaukee daily said Mueller's dog-shooting complaint is the first the commission has received this year. Last year, the commission probed three shootings of dogs by police officers.

Another friend of Mueller's, David Williams, witnessed the shooting.

"I told [police], 'The dog is harmless, don't hurt the dog,'" Williams said. "Three seconds later, they shot the dog."

The Journal Sentinel said Sprite was so much a part of Mueller's life that she had his paw prints tattooed onto her right foot.

"He was my best friend," she told the paper. "I did everything with him."

The female officer who shot the dog, Chaquila C. Peavy, 28, has been on the force since November 2001. Police Chief Arthur Jones said shooting a dog is justified if the officer "reasonably feels that they're in danger."

Jill De Grave, education director for the Wisconsin Humane Society, told the Journal Sentinel police officers should have to prove pet killings are justified, the same as if a person were shot.

"Everybody has to be accountable for their actions, especially when something dies as a result," De Grave said. "The officer must have felt very, very threatened to pull the trigger."

De Grave said police officers could benefit from training on handling dogs and reading behavior.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33194

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
"The 38-pound dog bounded into the front yard toward the officers as they got out of their squad cars"

The female officer who shot the dog, Chaquila C. Peavy, 28, has been on the force since November 2001. Police Chief Arthur Jones said shooting a dog is justified if the officer "reasonably feels that they're in danger."

good shot though....

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Alistar7
"The 38-pound dog bounded into the front yard toward the officers as they got out of their squad cars"

good shot though....

Would it have been a good shot if that were your dog ;)

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
My dog would have been secured.

yes, shooting an animal low to the ground running at you is difficult enough without the fear factor, one shot, one kill, impressive.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That must have been one fat cocker spaniel. Still, pathetic to see a cop freak out to a cocker spaniel. If it was a pitbull or rotty, i could understand... but a cocker spaniel, even a fat one?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
That must have been one fat cocker spaniel. Still, pathetic to see a cop freak out to a cocker spaniel. If it was a pitbull or rotty, i could understand... but a cocker spaniel, even a fat one?

Yeah pretty sad. I would like to hear the other side of the story, but is it really needed? I have never seen a violent cocker spaniel in my life.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Yeah pretty sad. I would like to hear the other side of the story, but is it really needed? I have never seen a violent cocker spaniel in my life.
Oh they can be vicious. Cockers can really do some major damage....to your pant legs or shoe laces.
rolleye.gif

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: tcsenter
Oh they can be vicious. Cockers can really do some major damage....to your pant legs or shoe laces.
rolleye.gif

This is certainly a sad tread or pattern with Law Enforecment personel. There was a big News reprt a few months back about a Cop shooting the family dog in a traffic stop in Tennessee. Has anyone followed up on that case?

It used to be called "Trigger Happy", now it has a new name of JRF (Justifable Reasonable Fear).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: tcsenter
rolleye.gif

This is certainly a sad tread or pattern with Law Enforecment personel. There was a big News reprt a few months back about a Cop shooting the family dog in a traffic stop in Tennessee. Has anyone followed up on that case?

It used to be called "Trigger Happy", now it has a new name of JRF (Justifable Reasonable Fear).

i remember reading about the case. the cop said the dog was growling and barking. the video showed it with its head up and tail wagging being playfull.

its crap like this that gives cops a bad name. personally i hope that cop gets fired.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Come on now ! Let's use some common sense. I mean a simple kick and the dog would of ran away whelping to it's master. Or better yet she could of used the can of pepper spray all cops have on their belt. No need to go rambo style on a freaking little toy dog.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I've always thought woman cops and little men cops were a problem. They are given more latitude even when shotting humans because of thier physical incompitance. Firefighters too. This is one area I feel AA is a huge life risking mistake.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I've always thought woman cops and little men cops were a problem. They are given more latitude even when shotting humans because of thier physical incompitance. Firefighters too. This is one area I feel AA is a huge life risking mistake.

My Brother when he was 17 got the crap kicked out of him by a little man cop, that came to the house because of the loud music. My Brother opened the door asked him what he wanted and the cop beat the piss out of him.

Valerie Mueller was in her backyard with her dog Sprite in the early morning hours last Saturday trying to talk a friend out of suicide when police arrived, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

Nice to know that if the Milwaukee cops come out to try to keep you from killing yourself they are going to shoot your dog. There is no way the police department can justify shooting a cocker spaniel, especially if it is just running towards you (probably wanting to play). I think cops are really starting to get more and more trigger happy these days (in Tulsa there have been about as many police shootings as non-police shootings (it seems anyways)).

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
hmmmm, no way the cops can justify shooting a Cocker Spainal.

Could you justify shooting a Doberman? German Shepard? Etc.

She felt like she was in danger and shot the dog. Period.

If she didn't feel like she was in danger, she most likely, wouldn't have shot.

Anyone afraid of Collies? The dogs like Lassie? My other half was bitten by one years ago. We can have Dobermans, Sheperds, Spainals, etc. but no Collies. She doesn't like them.

There is more to this story, but you have to dig for it. I worked in Milwaukee for 4 years and do know a couple of the cops.

All I can say, is it was... in their eyes... justified.

I don't completely agree, but I wasn't there. Nor was anyone here.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
A killer cocker spaniel..First of all how can a cocker spaniel get to be 38 lbs?. I owned a couple as a child and most of the time they can be playful. On the other hand they were very distrustful of strangers. I could see this dog attacking the cop and being a victim of a couple of dog bites including one that put 16 stitches in my face as a child due to a mauling by a sheepdog, I could see the cop pulling the trigger.

I personally would not have, would have probably gave it a swift kick in the chops and dislodged a couple of it's teeth.