If you accept a job offer (signed offer letter), and then your company counter offers...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Need to make a decision?

;)

I asked it if Matt should take the job.

It said try again.

Figures.

As an aside, I really need to do something real with that domain name.

If only you could decide what to do with it. :laugh:

(I'm just busting your stones)

To be honest, ever since i lost Heather, I've been so indecisive. I think the only thing that will make me fully decisive again is when I get a new girlfriend who I really care about, considering I base all of my decisions to move/not to move/take a job/not take a job, etc. around women.

Seriously all, I've never admitted it, but ANYTIME I ask for help with a decision, women is my number one variable.

IE:

"Should I move to Boston? Will the women there be okay? Will I meet someone?"
or
"Should I pick my nose? Will a girl see it? Could she be the one and be turned off?"

I seriously have considered stopping all of my plans in the past because the night before, I met a girl at a bar and thought it had the slightest chance of working out to something more.

Insecurity? Yup. Ever since Heather, I've been the most indecisive piece of crap ever. Before Heather? I didn't know what love was -- I didn't think about girls.

There you have it ATOT. My confession, and the reason why I'm so indecisive.

er...perhaps it would be better if you learned how to be more independent before trying to jump back into another relationship, I really don't think this is a good way to go through life

just a thought

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Take the job offer, go to a new place, not live at home (you're at home now, right?), and give it a try. How much more is your current company offering?

If you don't end up liking the new job, who's stopping you from looking at other places in the area?

No. I've lived on my own since I was 18, I pay all my bills, have for quite a while - I barely talk to my parents.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Take the job offer, go to a new place, not live at home (you're at home now, right?), and give it a try. How much more is your current company offering?

If you don't end up liking the new job, who's stopping you from looking at other places in the area?

No. I've lived on my own since I was 18, I pay all my bills, have for quite a while - I barely talk to my parents.
Ah, my bad, must have mixed you up with someone else.

Basically, I think you should go through with the new job. What exactly did the offer have on it and what did you sign? As in, what have you agreed to? Any time period or something?

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
... can you go back on your new offer?

I've done it, and I dont regreat it a bit. My company counter offered after I had already accepted another offer, giving me 10K more, which resulted in a 50% raise in pay from what I was initially making, so I of course accepted. Now 3 years later, I am working at the company that made me the first offer. Other companies might not be so forgiving, but they should understand that business is business.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Never accept a counter offer. Once they know you're a disloyal bastard, they'll only keep you around enough for someone else to learn what you do, then you get the boot.

You obviously wanted to leave for a reason, follow through with it.

That is not true. I've worked with many people who have been counter offered. I'm sure it depends on the company, but any decent manager knows that money talks, and bullshit walks. I look out for #1, just as the company does. Just dont let money be the ONLY reason your are moving on.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
my philosophy is to do whats best for you. which job is going to be better for you long term? is that extra money really going to make a big difference for you? why did you decide to look for a new job in the first place?

in all honesty, signing an offer letter really doesnt mean much, you can withdraw at anytime. whether it is legally binding or not, no company is going to force you to come work for them if you don't want to. how would that be in their benefit? Of course, like others have said, you will be burning bridges and will probably never be able to get a job from that company again (and if a friend referred you..its going to look very poorly on your friend).

in the end though, you need to do whats best for you. you're the only one who will be looking out for you. neither of the companies are looking out for your best interest...just trying to make the most money possible. its not really a knock against any of the companies, but its a business, and the point of a business is to make money. think about it like this.....if your original company really cared about you, why didnt they offer you this raise before you told them you had another offer/was leaving? they want to pay you the least amount possible....obviously not looking out for your best interest.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: jaybert
my philosophy is to do whats best for you. which job is going to be better for you long term? is that extra money really going to make a big difference for you? why did you decide to look for a new job in the first place?

in all honesty, signing an offer letter really doesnt mean much, you can withdraw at anytime. whether it is legally binding or not, no company is going to force you to come work for them if you don't want to. how would that be in their benefit? Of course, like others have said, you will be burning bridges and will probably never be able to get a job from that company again (and if a friend referred you..its going to look very poorly on your friend).

in the end though, you need to do whats best for you. you're the only one who will be looking out for you. neither of the companies are looking out for your best interest...just trying to make the most money possible. its not really a knock against any of the companies, but its a business, and the point of a business is to make money. think about it like this.....if your original company really cared about you, why didnt they offer you this raise before you told them you had another offer/was leaving? they want to pay you the least amount possible....obviously not looking out for your best interest.

Word.

Also, you need to tell absolutely noone at your current company that you were counter offered.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why shouldn't he go for the money? Do you think Companies are loyal to their employees now a days?? Companies want loyalty towards them, but its the other way around if you want the company to be loyal to you.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
... can you go back on your new offer?

I've done it, and I dont regreat it a bit. My company counter offered after I had already accepted another offer, giving me 10K more, which resulted in a 50% raise in pay from what I was initially making, so I of course accepted. Now 3 years later, I am working at the company that made me the first offer. Other companies might not be so forgiving, but they should understand that business is business.

Even if it were legally binding, would they sue you if you ended up staying at your current company? The odds are infinitesimal unless you're a big cheese. Just decide what's best for you.

I've never left a job solely for monetary reasons, so if I've started looking it's because I'm unhappy with my current job in a way that money won't fix and I will definitely be leaving. Thus, a counteroffer made no difference to me. Don't know what's going on in your case.

Axoliien

Mar 6, 2002
You agreed because you wanted the job, and there's really no stigma to staying with your job with a counter offer. They would not have countered if they didn't want to keep you. However, you already agreed to the new offer and as others said you should not have agreed if you wanted to see if your company would counter. In all fairness, they will find someone else if you don't go, but they will also remember...