If we won't raise a finger for Democracy in Tibet...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: sadguy
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Well I wouldn't expect someone with the simplistic attitude of ' mostly Saudi men attacked us so let's invade Saudi Arabia' to understand.

At least I assume that from your simplistic questioning. Maybe you have some depth, but you need to show it instead of arguing a ridiculous fallacy.

Well, you're the one who brought up "Chinese flying planes into landmarks". See the problem with your logic?
It's the usual BushCo misdirection. Ignore him.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Do some research yourself about "human rights" in Tibet before China liberated it. But that's just too hard, let's just watch Fox News.

There are diamonds in Africa, why don't you go liberated all those poor people? Oh wait, they have AIDS, we don't wanna get that, screw those people.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: techs
"If not us, who? If not now, when?"
President Ronald Reagan.

With the US now the number one supporter and backer of dictatorships around the world, is America a "force for freedom"?

The United States has been a "force for freedom" only when it fitted its economic and foreign policy objectives. This goes back to the founding of the country when the "founding fathers" did not outlaw slavery.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
btw, I've explained numerous times in here why I believe we invaded Iraq
The reason was to put down an extensive WMD program. That didn't exist, so reason moot.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So what do you think the USA should do about Tibet?

You think we should attack China?
You think we should provide them arms and ammunition?
Drop Missionaries behind enemy lines?
Offer them Entitlement Programs?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
We were never a force for democracy. We were a force for supporting our own power and wealth.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I really dont give a crap about Tibet. and what in the hell are we suppose to do about it? if the OP is so passionate about Tibet then he should buy a ticket there and join the resistance.

oh and OP what kind of democracy did Tibet have before the Chinese took over?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
One thing I've learned - Democracy cannot be forced, it's a path people must choose and fight for.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Ryan
One thing I've learned - Democracy cannot be forced, it's a path people must choose and fight for.

Exactly. It is like a religion, which can only be spread properly by example.

If we want to spread democracy, we must become the shining example of it we once were. We must again be a government that is for the people, one that lives up to its promise of protecting the peoples' rights and liberties. We must be prosperous, free, and peaceful. We need to destroy our Department of Offense and rebuild our Department of Defense.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If China dropped nukes on Tibet tomorrow, the US would stand back and make appropriate noises of disaproval, but not much more. We don't want to piss off our landlords...besides, if we had to wage war with China, who would we borrow the money from to pay for it ?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre

Saddam was harboring OBL and Al-zwahiri? :confused:

Were they in a mountain cave eating yellow cake and ice cream, too? :confused:
Were you serving them?

tasteslikechicken unable to respond with a real answer? :Q

Bingo.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
Originally posted by: BoomerD
If China dropped nukes on Tibet tomorrow, the US would stand back and make appropriate noises of disaproval, but not much more. We don't want to piss off our landlords...besides, if we had to wage war with China, who would we borrow the money from to pay for it ?

On the spot :thumbsup:

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: piasabird
So what do you think the USA should do about Tibet?

You think we should attack China?
You think we should provide them arms and ammunition?
Drop Missionaries behind enemy lines?
Offer them Entitlement Programs?

Use economic pressure. Institute a boycot of some or all Chinese produced goods.

Yeah, I know this will happen when Hell freezes over and pigs fly in tight fprmations.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
We should intervene. After all, all those Chinese crashing planes into our national landmarks are really starting to piss people off.

If Saudi Arabians crashed planes into our landmarks, why would we invade Iraq?
Nor did we invade Lebanon, Egypt, or the UAE.

And isn't Bush already pressing China about Tibet?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03...d/asia/29tibet.html?hp

Clearly the Dub is already dialing up the rhetoric to pave the way for an invasion because that's just what he does.

Again, why would we invade Iraq if they had nothing to do with our landmarks?
For the same reason we invaded Afghanistan when no Afghanis crashed planes into our landmarks.

Because OBL was sitting happily in Pakistan, where he probably is still residing?