If We Know So Much About Nutrition and Exercise...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I haven't heard of it that I recall. I'll check it out also. I only change one thing at a time in my diet so I can keep track.

That's how I did it when I was working through my food allergies...it's annoying to do, but it's the easiest way of tracking what affects your gut & your body!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That's how I did it when I was working through my food allergies...it's annoying to do, but it's the easiest way of tracking what affects your gut & your body!

Yup. I'd say the most annoying part is hanging out with other people. Food is a human social activity pretty much all the time. I have to decline food from people, or go to a meal but not eat there. It makes people feel awkward around you at times, but it fades when they realize it's ok, and the food they're eating doesn't really allure me. I prefer to not have migraines, lol. If any ever saw me laid up for a day or two they'd understand.

aldensmith

Feb 21, 2019
In today’s lifestyle, everyone wants to fit and healthy. To stay fit they cook healthy meals and go to the gym or jogging also join some fitness classes.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This is just completely false. People always use this as an excuse but it's simply not true.

You can find chicken for $1/lb, or chicken breasts for like $2/lb, or pork chops for like $3/lb if you look for it. Then you can buy frozen veggies and make a very healthy and tasty meal in about 10-15 minutes of effort.

The problem though is that takes effort. People would rather drive for 15 minutes round trip to get Wendy's than spend 15 minutes in the kitchen.

IMO what it all boils down is nothing but pure laziness. Everything else in between is just an excuse that could be summed up to laziness. And even though I eat fairly healthy and workout regularly, I still get lazy at times myself so I get it, but I'm not making an excuse at those times, I know it's me being lazy.
The path of least resistance FTMFL.

The following quote is a version of what every obese, sugar addicted person I know says -

Not everyone enjoys working out and sweating. Most people love food and dont want to be deprived of things they enjoy. They know they are going to die anyways. Might as well be happy in life instead of miserable eating things you dont like or trying to exercise when you dont enjoy it.

Yet they almost uniformly do not want to extend that mantra to drug addicts and alcoholics. Suddenly it is not OK to just want to enjoy their drugs and alcohol and kill themselves using them. Sugar addiction will destroy your organism and result in a very unsavory journey to death, the same as drug and alcohol addiction.

As to not enjoying exercise or healthy foods like broccoli or spinach, or any of the many other healthy veggies and foods, for that matter. It is because they are not doing it enough. Exercise enough and you will get the same kind of pleasure response you get from eating that sugar laden dessert. Eat veggies often enough (proper preparation is important) and you will start to enjoy them, even crave them, just like that snacky cake.

My last comment is on the post about feeling worse now than when their blood sugar was insanely high. You have to overcome addiction withdrawal and recover physically from the condition first. When you reach a certain point in the process, and provided you are dedicated to the health eating habits and exercise, you will turn the corner. At which point you will feel the best you can remember feeling. Genetics or no genetics.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I can agree with changing your tastes, but I've yet to ever get this endorphin rush from exercise I keep hearing people talk about. I'm just miserable the whole time, but it's the price you have to pay for maintenance. For me, sugar is just evil.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The emergence of "Industrial Fast Food" and massive visual mass marketing advertisement has to be factored into the disease cause / effect. Watch any TV channel..you can't get away from the mass marketing. Go for a drive and count how many Industrial Fast Food joints you see (Tacho Bell / McDonalds / JacBox...count em...then count the commercials you see / hear to support them. The problem will become obvious. And don't forget the Industrial Freezers at your local Albertons / Safeway / Walmart...all cram jammed with microwave Industrial Fast Food...any critical thinker should be able to see what's going on.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

There is also so much info today. Some of it good, but much of it so misguided. YT is a haven for this. Eggs are good. Eggs are bad. Meat is good. Meat is bad. Don't worry about cholestrol in your diet. You sould worry about it. Sugar is the culprit. Sugar is not the culprit. Fruit is good. Fruit is bad. Don't eat this. Eat that. Don't do that exercise. You should do it. Get 1 pound of protein per body weight. You only need 0.6 grams of protein per body weight. Keto is great. Keto should be avoided. Carbs are needed. Get rid of the carbs in your diet. And on and on...
This is a pretty big part of it. I remember being bewildered by contradictory advice within a single issue of Men's Health magazine - and this was many years before YouTube existed.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
... And im sure the cost of healthy food vs crap food is one of the main reasons for most people in a society with an ever increasing poor class.
LOL! How old were you in the 1980s?

Overwhelmingly, the "poor" people now are WAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better-off than they were when I was raised. You wouldn't believe the conditions my friends and I grew up in. You'd think I was making it up.

[edit]

...and it's obvious to me that, even in third-world countries, quality of life has generally improved such that 9-year-old me would have been envious.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006

Overwhelmingly, the "poor" people now are WAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better-off than they were when I was raised. You wouldn't believe the conditions my friends and I grew up in. You'd think I was making it up.

[edit]

...and it's obvious to me that, even in third-world countries, quality of life has generally improved such that 9-year-old me would have been envious.

I was 7 in 1980.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000

[edit]

I've been watching this show dicing with death on amazon. Its about trucking in the 3rd world but breaks off into what the locals do and how they live. A lot of these people have to do stuff like bust rock into gravel by hand 12 hours a day for less than a dollar. Then go home and walk 3 miles for water before they can make dinner, consisting of flour cakes.