If We Know So Much About Nutrition and Exercise...

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
We have all of this info on why nutrition and exercise are important, yet many Americans will probably eat themselves to death. It used to be that wars and disease killed us. Now, it's overeating and inactivity. We don't move nearly as much as we did before. Studies have shown that sitting for long periods of time is just as bad as smoking. Yet, we still do it. Cancer and heart disease are the leading causes of death. Type 2 is projected to be #3 in the next 10-15 years. It's estimated that over 150m Americans will have some form of type 2, yet most won't even know it. They'll continue to eat garbage, and they'll get sick and die. At a much younger age.

I've also noticed that when I bring up eating healthy to people who don't eat healthy, I get angry responses. I've stopped talking to people about nutrition and exercise, and only discuss these topics with people who are following the same path as me. The other thing I've noticed is that most people have blinders on. They don't care until the sh*t hits the fan. Think of those beef and beer fund raisers for a friend who was diagnosed with cancer. I see those posters all the time. Much of the cancer that we see today is because of lifestyle choices. High sigar intake. Crappy food for decades. It all gets compounded. It all adds up until that one eventful day. I've also noticed that if people do get a message from their doctor to eat healthy/exercise, they only do the right thing for a week. Maybe two. That's if they're lucky. It's very difficult to change unhealthy habits when you've been doing them for many years. The brian doesn't like the unfamilirity. Even when your life is on the line.

There is also so much info today. Some of it good, but much of it so misguided. YT is a haven for this. Eggs are good. Eggs are bad. Meat is good. Meat is bad. Don't worry about cholestrol in your diet. You sould worry about it. Sugar is the culprit. Sugar is not the culprit. Fruit is good. Fruit is bad. Don't eat this. Eat that. Don't do that exercise. You should do it. Get 1 pound of protein per body weight. You only need 0.6 grams of protein per body weight. Keto is great. Keto should be avoided. Carbs are needed. Get rid of the carbs in your diet. And on and on...

BarneyBunch

Jul 3, 2018
The other thing I've noticed is that most people have blinders on. They don't care until the sh*t hits the fan.

This right here is a big problem when it comes to people and getting fit. There are so many people who are content with their lifestyle today, but they don't realize that they are setting themselves up with health problems in the long run.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I think it's mostly because eating healthy and exercising is a lifestyle, and many people don't want that lifestyle; it's far easier to sit around and eat fast food than cook healthy meals and go to the gym or jog/run a few days per week.

Nov 29, 2006
Not everyone enjoys working out and sweating. Most people love food and dont want to be deprived of things they enjoy. They know they are going to die anyways. Might as well be happy in life instead of miserable eating things you dont like or trying to exercise when you dont enjoy it. And im sure the cost of healthy food vs crap food is one of the main reasons for most people in a society with an ever increasing poor class.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Don't forget the food and beverage industry thrives on selling chemically engineered products that allure people to spend hard earned dollars. MSG and other additives (like sugar) are highly addictive and drive the industry. People want good food that's relatively healthy, but also cheap. Cheap food is usually bad for you, but since there's not a lot of nutritional value, they add chemicals and make the crap tasty. It's why you see more obesity in lower-income families.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
There is also so much info today. Some of it good, but much of it so misguided. YT is a haven for this. Eggs are good. Eggs are bad. Meat is good. Meat is bad. Don't worry about cholestrol in your diet. You sould worry about it. Sugar is the culprit. Sugar is not the culprit. Fruit is good. Fruit is bad. Don't eat this. Eat that. Don't do that exercise. You should do it. Get 1 pound of protein per body weight. You only need 0.6 grams of protein per body weight. Keto is great. Keto should be avoided. Carbs are needed. Get rid of the carbs in your diet. And on and on...

It's not youtube that is responsible for this confusion. It is big industry that is trying to create confusion in the market. This is the same thing the tobacco industry did back in the 60's and 70''s. Create confusion in the market and the market will throw up their hands and do nothing but maintain the status quo.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Let's not forget, further contributing to sedentary ways is grocery pickup, and online ordering in general. Remember when you had to hit up stores and walk around in them?

Re: conflicting advice -- You have to admit ... Questioning the conventional wisdom is a proven technique for grabbing attention. And attention can equate to money. The more ingrained the wisdom questioned, the more a sensation it will make.
Not everyone discussing fitness/nutrition has ulterior motives though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The other thing I've noticed is that most people have blinders on. They don't care until the sh*t hits the fan.

While it's not a great excuse, I can say from personal experience that it's very hard to know how much damage is being done until "shit hits the fan". The common note on any diet or program is that personal results may vary, and every body's different. That opens up a door for a grey area because if somebody isn't developing a health problem YET, they assume what they're doing is okay for them. It's only until a condition develops that it becomes apparent that they've been in a decline. And I would argue with the statement that we know so much about nutrition... if that were true, there wouldn't be so many conflicting ideas and a rotating fad diet every 3 months. If we really knew what the fuck we were doing, we'd have a set list of "you need this many carbs, this many vitamins, this much protein, etc" then there would be no moving target of better health. Now we have bad/good cholesterol, different carbs and different amounts that people claim are healthy, all sorts of conflicting garbage... it's maddening.

I found out I had type 2 a couple years back. It's totally my fault, and I'm fixing it, however the only reason I even know about it is because I had to get my appendix removed and they noticed blood sugar was high. It's all over my family tree (every grandparent has/had it) so I knew it was a risk, but I never had the typical symptoms that they said to look for. I'm getting it back on track, but honestly I feel worse with my blood sugar under control than when it was in the 300s. I've changed my diet and started cutting things, and still have a long way to go, but why did I feel better when my numbers were worse? It's been discouraging lately...

Anyway, I guess in the 2nd paragraph I just started ranting/venting, but the point is I don't think we truly have a good grasp of what to do to get healthy and feel better. We have a rough idea, but as long as there's this "everybody is different" grey area, there won't be enough of a shift towards eating healthy. With the food trackers we have today, it should be easy to raise the next generation with the knowledge of "everybody needs to have this many vitamins, this many proteins, and this many calories every day. Never ever ever go above X amount of fat in a day". Everybody should stick with the same message, and once we enough people that have developed good habits through that message, those habits should continue through future generations.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I think it's mostly because eating healthy and exercising is a lifestyle, and many people don't want that lifestyle; it's far easier to sit around and eat fast food than cook healthy meals and go to the gym or jog/run a few days per week.

Aren't we wired to consume as many calories as possible while spending the least amount of energy? I would think that even early man would pass on the hunt for a chance to sit in a La-Z-Boy and eat pound cake.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
And im sure the cost of healthy food vs crap food is one of the main reasons for most people in a society with an ever increasing poor class.

People want good food that's relatively healthy, but also cheap.
This is just completely false. People always use this as an excuse but it's simply not true.

You can find chicken for $1/lb, or chicken breasts for like $2/lb, or pork chops for like $3/lb if you look for it. Then you can buy frozen veggies and make a very healthy and tasty meal in about 10-15 minutes of effort.

The problem though is that takes effort. People would rather drive for 15 minutes round trip to get Wendy's than spend 15 minutes in the kitchen.

IMO what it all boils down is nothing but pure laziness. Everything else in between is just an excuse that could be summed up to laziness. And even though I eat fairly healthy and workout regularly, I still get lazy at times myself so I get it, but I'm not making an excuse at those times, I know it's me being lazy.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Aren't we wired to consume as many calories as possible while spending the least amount of energy? I would think that even early man would pass on the hunt for a chance to sit in a La-Z-Boy and eat pound cake.
No. We're wired for a day of manual labor. Our eating habits haven't adjusted to factor in labor-saving devices.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
A lot of people continue with this 2,000 calories a day idea, and so many people sit at a desk all day lol. I agree FeuerFrei.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
This is just completely false. People always use this as an excuse but it's simply not true.

You can find chicken for $1/lb, or chicken breasts for like $2/lb, or pork chops for like $3/lb if you look for it. Then you can buy frozen veggies and make a very healthy and tasty meal in about 10-15 minutes of effort.

The problem though is that takes effort. People would rather drive for 15 minutes round trip to get Wendy's than spend 15 minutes in the kitchen.

IMO what it all boils down is nothing but pure laziness. Everything else in between is just an excuse that could be summed up to laziness. And even though I eat fairly healthy and workout regularly, I still get lazy at times myself so I get it, but I'm not making an excuse at those times, I know it's me being lazy.

Well, that and it's hard to make something that hits all of the right salt/sugar/fat/MSG notes as restaurant food.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Truth!

I hate the"its cheaper to eat fast food than nutritious food" argument that many people state like it's a fact. It's not. It's just laziness on the person who doesn't want to put in the effort.

I'll give a quick example. I wanted to try this vegan dish that consisted of vegan sausages, 1 large red pepper, 1 large broccoli, handful of mushrooms, and 400oz 100% organic whole wheat pasta, and 3 TBSP soy sauce. At checkout, cost was less than $10. Do you know how many meals I got out of this? FOUR. Less than $10 I got for meals, and at nearly 500 calories. I'm getting cancer fighting w/ broccoli, tons of Vit C w/ red pepper, immunity support w/ mushrooms, plus its filling. That would be the whole wheat pasta. The vegetarian sausages were tasty as well. You could always alternate the vegetarian sausages with chicken which is cheap as well.

Compare my meal with a meal from McDonald's. You could easily spend $5-10 on a meal. A few days of eating fast food could easily run $30 plus. In the process you're ruining your health and there are ZERO benefits to eating it. I'm not against fast food as a treat, like once every 6 months. I can't eat it anymore. My body can't take it anymore. I'll feel it in my joints the next day, and my stomach is in a bad place.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
We have all of this info on why nutrition and exercise are important, yet many Americans will probably eat themselves to death. It used to be that wars and disease killed us. Now, it's overeating and inactivity. We don't move nearly as much as we did before. Studies have shown that sitting for long periods of time is just as bad as smoking. Yet, we still do it. Cancer and heart disease are the leading causes of death. Type 2 is projected to be #3 in the next 10-15 years. It's estimated that over 150m Americans will have some form of type 2, yet most won't even know it. They'll continue to eat garbage, and they'll get sick and die. At a much younger age.

I've also noticed that when I bring up eating healthy to people who don't eat healthy, I get angry responses
. I've stopped talking to people about nutrition and exercise, and only discuss these topics with people who are following the same path as me. The other thing I've noticed is that most people have blinders on. They don't care until the sh*t hits the fan. Think of those beef and beer fund raisers for a friend who was diagnosed with cancer. I see those posters all the time. Much of the cancer that we see today is because of lifestyle choices. High sigar intake. Crappy food for decades. It all gets compounded. It all adds up until that one eventful day. I've also noticed that if people do get a message from their doctor to eat healthy/exercise, they only do the right thing for a week. Maybe two. That's if they're lucky. It's very difficult to change unhealthy habits when you've been doing them for many years. The brian doesn't like the unfamilirity. Even when your life is on the line.

I think part of unhealthy eatings effect on health is anger, depression and bad attitudes. Not getting the right nutrients messes with the brain. Decades ago when I really ate terrible and sucked down pop all the time I was always angry and irritable. I think the pop which I cut out years ago was a lot of it. I still don't eat the best but better than a lot of people I'd say. I found a good regimen of vitamins recently that seems to help and make up for my lack of veggies. Hard to tell because I cut out the drinking too which has made a big effect. The one thing without a doubt thats helped is magnesium. I haven't woken up with a charlie horse since I started taking it before I quit drinking. Used to be a regular occurrence.

Anyway what I'm getting at is I think the unhealthy eating has a circular effect. All the depression and such people have these days from the unhealthy eating, just leads to that why bother who cares bad attitude that leaves them going back for another liter of mountain dew and donuts for breakfast. Then you have the poor sleeping habits staying up late watching tv in the bedroom playing on cell phones. Leaving the tv on while sleeping adds a whole other layer to it. It all leads to the angry/depressed/lethargic/apathetic society we have today.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I think part of unhealthy eatings effect on health is anger, depression and bad attitudes. Not getting the right nutrients messes with the brain. Decades ago when I really ate terrible and sucked down pop all the time I was always angry and irritable. I think the pop which I cut out years ago was a lot of it. I still don't eat the best but better than a lot of people I'd say. I found a good regimen of vitamins recently that seems to help and make up for my lack of veggies. Hard to tell because I cut out the drinking too which has made a big effect. The one thing without a doubt thats helped is magnesium. I haven't woken up with a charlie horse since I started taking it before I quit drinking. Used to be a regular occurrence.

Anyway what I'm getting at is I think the unhealthy eating has a circular effect. All the depression and such people have these days from the unhealthy eating, just leads to that why bother who cares bad attitude that leaves them going back for another liter of mountain dew and donuts for breakfast. Then you have the poor sleeping habits staying up late watching tv in the bedroom playing on cell phones. Leaving the tv on while sleeping adds a whole other layer to it. It all leads to the angry/depressed/lethargic/apathetic society we have today.

You know I was thinking the same.

About bad food. When I eat doritos or a donut or three I feel it. I'm in a pissy mood. I don't feel like doing much. My motivation to do anything is in the toilet. Think about the people who you see daily. In the supermarket or at the convenience store, or on the street. Many look annoyed, depressed, mad, sad, and so on. Connect the dots. I guarantee you that much of it is tied to poor habits. Eating, lack of good sleep, little exercise, etc. It's like we're walking around asleep. It all makes sense though. Scientist have actually put a piece of broccoli under the microscope and they can see the rays emitting from the veggie. Take a dorito and do the same-- Nothing. To me, eating doritos is like eating plastic. But, things like veggies and fruit are life source that nourishes the brain Think about the chemicals that are in a bag of doritos. Much of it just messes with the chemicals in your brain.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Because some people are fat, like to be fat, and push that fat is ok and normal. When it is not. It is a serious health risk, and a strain on others financially. These type of people sicken me.

Some people are are fat, and try their damnest to do better. They eat better, train hard, genetics play a role. These people are awesome. I like seeing overweight people at the gym, they're trying to do better. On the other hand, some people just relish in being fat, and if you tell them they are, they get all butt hurt and get made for using facts.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If We Know So Much About Nutrition and Exercise...

I've also noticed that when I bring up eating healthy to people who don't eat healthy, I get angry responses. I've stopped talking to people about nutrition and exercise, and only discuss these topics with people who are following the same path as me. The other thing I've noticed is that most people have blinders on. They don't care until the sh*t hits the fan. Think of those beef and beer fund raisers for a friend who was diagnosed with cancer. I see those posters all the time. Much of the cancer that we see today is because of lifestyle choices. High sigar intake. Crappy food for decades. It all gets compounded. It all adds up until that one eventful day. I've also noticed that if people do get a message from their doctor to eat healthy/exercise, they only do the right thing for a week. Maybe two. That's if they're lucky. It's very difficult to change unhealthy habits when you've been doing them for many years. The brian doesn't like the unfamilirity. Even when your life is on the line.

There are a variety of factors involved in this discussion. However, what it boils down to is personal desire. If you really want something, then nothing is going to stand in your way until you get it. If you only kinda want something, well, there are a lot of barriers in the way. Dreaming is different than doing, and being committed is what brings about real change. Everyone has good intentions, but good intentions don't translate into results unless you're committed enough to figure out what you want, find a way to achieve it, and then put in the work consistently to make it happen. It's not rocket science, but there is a haze or a fog that people run into because exercise requires repeated effort & eating is emotional. Let's look at some of those reasons:

1. Change is hard. People know that smoking kills, but still do it. We have more access to good food through grocery stores, affordable cooking tools to produce good food & make the chore easier, and endless tested recipes on the Internet, and yet we still struggle with change. Change is further complicated by things like habits, addiction, and worldviews (like how your family ate growing up). Gyms are cheap & used exercise equipment on Craiglist is abundant. We really don't have any real excuses, tbh.

2. We have an over-abundance of information available. Should you get an ab crunch & go keto? Join a crossfit group & eat paleo? Do yoga & go vegan? It took me a long time to figure out what worked & decide on both what worked best for me personally & find out what I liked best (IIFYM + Calisthenics). TDEE & numbers & all that jazz was above my pay grade mentally at the time. Most people go the gym route & completely forgo diet...it feels like you're making progress when you workout, but that's only part of the story. What are you working towards, what's your goals? Are you following a proven plan to achieve those goals?

3. Nobody ever sits you down in life & really, truly trains you how to get healthy. It really just boils down to four things: sleep, exercise, food & hydration, and stress management, but getting those implemented & habitualized can be tremendously difficult. Let's look at food, to begin with: 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, that's 21 meals you have to figure out every week, for the rest of your life. That's an awful lot of work...and planning. Two things I've learned about the human race are (1) people hate thinking, and (2) people are awful at following directions (mostly because they don't want to). It's such much easier to hit up the drive-through or call for delivery or buy some packaged foods or go to the vending machine & NOT have to think about calories.

4. People generally operate off wake-up calls, and health issues are typically slow burners. It can take decades before Type 2 Diabetes or heart problems manifest themselves, and even when they do, a lot of people don't change. I'm sure you know plenty of people with cancer who smoke, people who have had heart attacks who eat the same way they did before their attack, etc.

5. 99% of our problems are of our own doing, through bad decision-making, lack of education, poor habits, etc. Most of us are already aware that we're fat or lazy or messy or whatever our personal problem is, and don't need to hear it from yet another genius telling us that we need to lose weight or get our act together or clean things up or get organized. We all have internal barriers that get in the way of getting what we want. Too tired. Healthy food is bland. Want to stay up late. Don't have any energy. A lot of the time, it's enough to push back on the execution of the dream & turn it back into a dream. But we choose to exercise (or not), we control every bit of food we lift into our mouths & swallow, we choose whether we stay up late or not, etc. No one is holding a gun to our head.

These are generally solvable problems, but again, it boils down to personal desire. Until you get bit by the health & fitness bug & decide to take your body's energy levels & physical appearance into your own hands, ain't nuthin gonna happen. And even then, you have to overcome a lifetime of conditioning to push your dream into reality on a day by day basis, and before you do that, you have to exit living in denial to face your problems. If it's not something serious like a heart attack, then it's easy to ignore & simply not think about it, and if you don't think about it, then you don't have to deal with it, therefore, there's no problem to worry about!

Reactions: CalebRockeT

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I've stopped talking to people about nutrition and exercise, and only discuss these topics with people who are following the same path as me.

In this world:

1. There are many niches: people who like to run marathons, people who like to drink at bars, people who like to race cars, people who are Neo-Nazi's, people who like Harry Potter, etc. Everything good & bad has its own set of fans. Hell's Angels exists in parallel with Doctors Without Borders.

2. Each niche has a tribe. Those tribes exist IRL & on the Internet through things like forums & groups.

3. Finding your tribe(s) is a Good Thing because it provides an outlet to learn & grow & discuss with like-minded people. Sometimes people get hooked & want to learn more about something new, and that's a really good time to share what you know. A lot of people use the Internet as an outlet for communication as well - on forums, writing sites like Medium, Youtube videos, blog posts, etc.

It's easy to see problems that you know the answers to & want to help, but the most you should do is ask once & let the person choose. The difficulty goes up when it's something personal like someone's eating habits & body weight, because then you're basically criticizing them. You see it as helping, they see it as an attack. And that's why there's still so many of us on ATOT...nerdy people don't always hang out IRL, but we can chat it up on an online forum 24/7, which is nice. So it's important to be careful about your boundaries when talking to people, because if they're not in your "tribe" & aren't interested in joining, then all you're going to be is an annoyance to them. People are happy wearing their blinders, until such time that they decide they want to change.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Unpopular opinion:

I think part of the problem is we have so many more single parent homes and homes where both parents have full time jobs. It used to be that that there were two parent homes where the man worked and the woman took care of the home/family. There would be time to buy and prepare healthy food that also tasted pretty good. These days, parents are in such a rush that it is so easy and tempting to grab some junk on the way home.

Think about all of the extra time that parents just don't have when both are working. Dropping off/picking up children from daycare. It all adds up. It seems that the country was better off when there was a parent home to take care of the children and home, including meals.

EDIT

Forgot this wasn't P&N

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Unpopular opinion:

I think part of the problem is we have so many more single parent homes and homes where both parents have full time jobs. It used to be that that there were two parent homes where the man worked and the woman took care of the home/family. There would be time to buy and prepare healthy food that also tasted pretty good. These days, parents are in such a rush that it is so easy and tempting to grab some junk on the way home.

Think about all of the extra time that parents just don't have when both are working. Dropping off/picking up children from daycare. It all adds up. It seems that the country was better off when there was a parent home to take care of the children and home, including meals.

And then of course daycare may be the reason we have so many supposed young adults that throw fits of rage. This short video explains way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUhc3Kv4ieE

The TL : DR version is basically that children in day care only get attention when they act out, and that behavior continues as they grow.

But go ahead and tell me hot hateful and sexist I am.

You're probably right, but it depends on the parents. My mom would cook an entire meal from (almost) scratch every single weeknight, in addition to taking care of us kids and cleaning the house/laundry while my dad was at work. I had a friend whose mom stayed home all day and did jack shit; forget about cooking.

As a single person I sometimes find it annoying to keep up with work, my house, and feeding myself a good meal every night. I can't imagine one (or even two) working adults with kids.

Reactions: Thunder 57

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ That's why I usually fix at least double batches of things for meals where freezing them won't degrade the texture too much, or certain things that take a long time to cook then the rest of the meal is quicker and easier from scratch.

It helps a lot to get good at using a microwave, understanding that it has other settings than 100% power, that keeping steam in is a good thing for even heating without rubbery edges, and that if you don't want your food soggy you finish it up in an oven or toaster oven to drive the excess steam off and brown it a bit.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Yup. I eat a strict gluten free diet, most of my food is raw, and the time spent getting it ready is what most people want to avoid.

Eating healthier, staying active, it's a lifestyle.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yup. I eat a strict gluten free diet, most of my food is raw, and the time spent getting it ready is what most people want to avoid.

Eating healthier, staying active, it's a lifestyle.

Yo, you heard of Otto's flour?

https://www.ottosnaturals.com/

Not your typical arrowroot powder - it's processed differently. Pretty awesome stuff!