If voting were mandatory, who do you think would win the election?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Risiko

Mar 23, 2004
Kerry would win, no questions asked. A lot of the people who do not vote are poor or in the lower-classes, and therefore would support Kerry a lot more than Bush as a block. Similarly, a large majority of young people do not vote, and their majority would be Kerry as well.

In fact, if every eligable American voted, Kerry would probably win by 70/30, in my guess.

DainBrammage

Platinum Member
May 16, 2000
Keryy would stand a better chance running through Hell with gasoline soaked underwear on.

He has still not said one meaningful thing that he would do if elected or how he would do anything different.

TSDible

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Risiko
Kerry would win, no questions asked. A lot of the people who do not vote are poor or in the lower-classes, and therefore would support Kerry a lot more than Bush as a block. Similarly, a large majority of young people do not vote, and their majority would be Kerry as well.

In fact, if every eligable American voted, Kerry would probably win by 70/30, in my guess.

Not to single out Risiko, he was just the last one to post this.

Where does this idea come from? Are there any stats to truely back it up? How do you go about polling unregistered poor individuals?

I come from what was an extremely poor family and grew up in several poor communities spread throughout the U.S. In my experience, these communities were conservative and not liberal.

My guess is, that if you forced all leagal voters to vote, then the country would still be split right down the center. This of course is considering the electoral college. I can't really say what would happen to the popular vote. I would venture that would go to Kerry since the urban areas with the highest concentration of people tend to be more liberal.

And to whomever said the only reason we have the Electoral College is to give the Republicans a chance, you really don't understand the electoral college. It is my opinion, that if the U.S. went on the popular vote only, only the concerns of the most populous areas of the U.S. would be addressed. People in big cities tend to have similar issues, ideas, and values, as do individuals living in rural areas. However, the concerns of the rural individuals would be lost in a popular vote. This despite the fact that rural areas still make up the majority of the country. I'm currently living in Germany and they have difficulty understanding the concept as well. Of course, they also think that a 3 hour drive is extremely far and why would anybody need to do that. The entire country is smaller than some of our states. However, when asked, they knew that they have voting districts, but weren't sure how the Chancelor was picked in the end... whether it was the person who won the most districts, or the candidate that had the most popular votes. This by the way was from three voting individuals. Two of which have their doctorate degree and a third who is almost finished with his.

Glad I got that out of my system.