if thou choosest to hack thou must choose to hack well...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
The stupidity of the teen's actions leads me to believe the system was easily accessed.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
This really isn't that impressive. All he did was abuse a IP-Relay service and have them place the actual call. We really need to make it so IP-relay operators can intervene in these calls (they're currently not allowed to be a part of the convo) or shut down the service entirely. The abuse is getting out of hand.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
script kiddie <> hacker.

This is usually what happens when someone stumbles on older info.

Back in the mid late 80's it was fun to mess with phones and stuff. Setting up someone's phone to think it's a payphone or having the local pizza place ring there were decent pranks.

Once FBI and AT&T were waiting with my parents when I came home I sort of laid low for a while...fortunately 2 days prior I got a phone call anonymously to clean house. Part of the circle at the time was LOD, MOD, 8lgm chatting on places like altgiers, lutz, tchh, and the like.

Nowadays I don't get into hacking too much as I have enough of it to do at work.

When we were kids the goal of hacking usually was to get computer time on machines that did more than our home Commodores, Apples, and IBM's could do.

Now it's all script idiots looking to bring down networks and steal credit info.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Also the easiest way to prank a 911 call is to do it with a beige box at the person's house.

It's funny how people think so highly of their network security and home alarms, but their phone lines are wide open to anyone with a handset and two alligator clips.

bladder23

Banned
Jun 28, 2007
Originally posted by: ViRGE
This really isn't that impressive. All he did was abuse a IP-Relay service and have them place the actual call. We really need to make it so IP-relay operators can intervene in these calls (they're currently not allowed to be a part of the convo) or shut down the service entirely. The abuse is getting out of hand.

It's funny how the media tries to make it seem so complicated

SuperFreaky

Golden Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Also the easiest way to prank a 911 call is to do it with a beige box at the person's house.

It's funny how people think so highly of their network security and home alarms, but their phone lines are wide open to anyone with a handset and two alligator clips.

do most people still have a land line? I haven't for the past ~7 years...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperFreaky
Originally posted by: alkemyst

do most people still have a land line? I haven't for the past ~7 years...

are you serious? DSL needs one at least if you need thinking in modern terms.

A land line is probably one of the most reliable things to have in the event of storms. My phone has always worked even when my cell was charged and couldn't find an active tower.

All homes usually come with a land line attached...I think everywhere those lines have to be able to at least dial 911.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: apac
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
What a fucking loser. I hope he gets the maximum punishment allowable by law. It would be a lot different if kids weren't involved, at least to me anyway.

I agree. It's one thing to pull a harmless but embarrassing prank, but this one could have gotten someone seriously hurt or killed.

Also, he forgot the 11th commandment.

Thou shalt not assault thy neighbor by proxy?
No. "Don't get caught".

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Oiprocs
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Ellis is expected to appear in an Orange County courtroom Monday to face charges of computer access and fraud, false imprisonment by violence, falsely reporting a crime and assault with an assault weapon by proxy.

Don't proxy me bro!!

Am I the only one who gets tired of hearing these completely made up charges? Definitely, this guy should be punished to the fullest extent of the law but... there's no way that's a real charge. Is there???

On the very very off chance that I'm wrong and it was a real charge before this, who's thinking this crap up?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

Ellis is expected to appear in an Orange County courtroom Monday to face charges of computer access and fraud, false imprisonment by violence, falsely reporting a crime and assault with an assault weapon by proxy.

Don't proxy me bro!!

Am I the only one who gets tired of hearing these completely made up charges? Definitely, this guy should be punished to the fullest extent of the law but... there's no way that's a real charge. Is there???

On the very very off chance that I'm wrong and it was a real charge before this, who's thinking this crap up?

You seriously think they can just make up laws after the fact? :laugh:

:confused:

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
damn....now THAT'S a prank!

I like the "assault with an assault weapon by proxy" charge.....so lets see, the cops pulled their weapons due to reasonable cause, and now they are charging the kid for doing their job.....

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

Don't proxy me bro!!

You seriously think they can just make up laws after the fact? :laugh:

:confused:

You should get that sarcasm detector looked at ;) I just think it's funny that there's now a law to cover every crime no matter how asinine.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
The dude who got SWATed is a total wuss. What would he have done if it had been Zombies in his backyard? He'd be a shambling corpse and feasting on his two children, is what would have happened.

Imagine though, if it had been of these trigger-happy ATOTers who had been pranked. That wouldn't have been fun.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Jawo
damn....now THAT'S a prank!

I like the "assault with an assault weapon by proxy" charge.....so lets see, the cops pulled their weapons due to reasonable cause, and now they are charging the kid for doing their job.....

I honestly think it's a valid charge, as it attempts to represent the seriousness of causing an individual (or, in this case, group of individuals) to draw assault weapons against an unsuspecting third party.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Speaking of pranks, I've always wondered if it's possible to hit the front of a car hard enough with a sledgehammer to activate the airbags. I'm guessing no.

imported_Tick

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Speaking of pranks, I've always wondered if it's possible to hit the front of a car hard enough with a sledgehammer to activate the airbags. I'm guessing no.

I'd bet if you could hit the accelerometer directly you could do it.... course, it would be bye-bye accelerometer.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Don't proxy me bro!!

....LOL!!........ :)

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This kid needs a pretty good beating (or jail time - which could be both). What an asshat.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: preslove
How did they catch him? You'd have to be pretty stupid to do something like this from an IP address that's connected to your name.

dude you would have to be pretty nieve to actually believe that there are ways to keep law enforcement from finding you...even using a proxy there are ways!!