If there were one giant city for all humans on earth, where would it be located

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I saw a video today about all of earth's human population being housed in one giant city. Obviously some land would have to be farmed and robots would take care of it, but the rest of the world would be turned back into wilderness.

If this city were to be built one day (regardless of whether or not it is a bad idea), where do you guys think it should be located?

Let's say the population density would be approximately the same as London, so the size of the city would be approximately the combined size of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Houston would be the perfect spot

Yes! Then a single big hurricane could wipe out humanity in one fell swoop. Get rid of us and the world will be fine.

Not really a workable solution, the city would have to be too big. But I could see it work if there were like 5 mega-cities per continent. North America NY, LA, Jacksonville, Seattle and Houston. Europe London, Rome, Lisbon. etc. Spread them out so that they all have lots of farmland nearby, access to a warm water port for fishing and shipping and it would be a really efficient way of running things. Good luck making it happen.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Probably somewhere in Canada. Lots of land and not as hot. That many people in one area is going to require to shed off a lot of heat. (not just the humans themselves but everything being used by them).

I hate the thought of this actually happening but I could actually see it happen in the far future. When the air is too toxic to breathe because of the CO2 and pollution levels, cities will be built as airtight buildings that are all interconnected and it could come to a point where there will only be a few very major cities and most places will be too harsh to build or live in. The concept of land ownership will not exist and it won't be safe to go outside without essentially a space suit. There will be airlocks to go on the outside world but it will only be for people to do maintenance on outside parts of the city. Essentially it will be like a giant space station but on the ground.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Is New Zealand big enough?

I say there.

Then I can go live in Sicily or someplace and let the rest of you get on with it.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
source.gif

• Wow
Reactions: WelshBloke

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Going on (in?) Jupiter would be freaking awesome. I don't think it's even humanly possible but like imagine being in some kind of craft just going through it. It would be an incredible sight. Saturn would be quite cool too and the gravity might be slightly easier to deal with.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'd imagine if we were able to build a giant city at some point in the future, we would probably overcome or drastically change any adverse environmental conditions. Russia is nice and big, and the pollution a massive city would generate would heat it up pretty quickly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Belize. Always wanted to go there.

You mean you aren't John McAfee? hmm, fooled me.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You mean you aren't John McAfee? hmm, fooled me.

Naw, I'm just the poorer cousin.