If there is an arguement for an NHS...

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
IMHO this would be it...

I'm from the UK, but talk to a lot of US friends who are both for and against the current system. Their main arguement for an NHS isn't based on "giving money for other's treatment" but more like "it covers you for all eventualities at a fraction of the cost of private care". More like a value for money system.

For example, here are a few scenarios.

1. Young low income couple have child. Child develops Leukemia (bad spelling probably). Child receives medication then dies. Hospital/state/whoever then calls in medical debt and couple are bankrupt. Their estate may be liquidated on their death or they may be forever paying off a large debt --> life pretty screwed up financially (excepting that this isn't the only tragidy!)

2. Person with health insurance gets really bad disease and requires expensive treatment (I don't know, heart transplant say). Tab for this is in excess of that which insurance provides --> bankruptcy again. No real way of covering yourself on insurance for these illnesses, especially on low/medium wage (when I think about it, cancer treatment is expensive and apparently 1 in 3 of us will get it so this is potentially a big problem).

3. Person in work health plan at company has child that gets sick. Because of this everyone's health premiums increase markedly for the next couple of years to cover the cost of child's treatment. People pay a lot of money for other people's healthcare and resentment is bred (I hope that kid dies soon, etc.)

I don't know how right I am about the way things work exactly, the above is how I've understood what is explained to me - apologies if I'm wrong and please correct. However, it does seem that you can't get a policy that will cover you for some seriously expensive, but not uncommon treatments, without being a bluechip CEO. Bankruptcy seems to be a big hazard for the low income/medium income family.

Thoughts please?

Andy

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
It's the Parents fault for making poor career decisions. If they had made good decisions then the kid would get to live
rolleye.gif

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
It's the Parents fault for making poor career decisions. If they had made good decisions then the kid would get to live
rolleye.gif

Can't quite work out whether that's sarcasm or not!

I guess it is? If it isn't then there's so many implicit assumptions in that statement that I don't know where to begin (well for one, there'll always be a need for waiters/waitresses in the USA - unless you can replace them with robots what do you expect those people to do in such situations?).

Andy

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
rolleye.gif

I may be a bit narrowminded but I agree with this. I'm sure as hell not gonna have a child when all I can do is pay for 2 weeks of food and diapers and ASSUME he/she'll be 100% healthy.

If my parents didn't have the funds to treat my asthma when I was young, I'd be seriously fvcked up.

Nonetheless, for the most part, I support a NHS

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: tallest1
rolleye.gif

I may be a bit narrowminded but I agree with this. I'm sure as hell not gonna have a child when all I can do is pay for 2 weeks of food and diapers and ASSUME he/she'll be 100% healthy.

If my parents didn't have the funds to treat my asthma when I was young, I'd be seriously fvcked up.

Nonetheless, for the most part, I support a NHS

So people on low income shouldn't have kids until they have enough money to cover the cost of a serious illness, in case that develops? That's a lot of money. Please be careful to distinguish between affording to have kids (ie having a job that can suport their expected needs) and having health insurance that won't bankrupt you if the kid develops a serious illness. Could you ever get to that case? I'm talking cancer, transplant, etc. type expensive illnesses.

Also, its not just about kids, its about adults too.

Cheers,

Andy

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fencer128
rolleye.gif

Can't quite work out whether that's sarcasm or not!

I guess it is? If it isn't then there's so many implicit assumptions in that statement that I don't know where to begin (well for one, there'll always be a need for waiters/waitresses in the USA - unless you can replace them with robots what do you expect those people to do in such situations?).

Andy
I included the rolling eyes to signify that it was a sarcastic post

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I included the rolling eyes to signify that it was a sarcastic post

Thanks. I thought so, it's just a little difficult to tell round here sometimes.

Cheers,

Andy