If the election were held today? **POLL**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Imp
Wasn't there some post about technology forums and liberals...
No god or guns; we cling to our keyboards.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: badnewcastle
looks like anand likes obama.

Me too. Seriously, McCain's history of melanoma and his advanced age and just being mortal would put the presidency that close to being S. Palin, a very scary thought. That lady is so far from being qualified it's laughable.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Juddog
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
I?m curious, how many people supporting the expansion of government power are also angry over the abuses of government power?

I'm angry over the expansion of government power and the abuses of government power... that's why I'm voting Democrat.

The last 8 years has really shown what a huge, over-powered, corrupt government can do to a country.

Co-signed, the Bush administration has been anti-conservative when it comes to policy and getting into people's business. The government has expanded and the country has gone deeper into debt. The borrow and spend Bush style of big government has failed miserably.

Your solution is to vote for the exact situation of 6 of the last 8 years? To vote for 1 party to have complete control to abuse as wanted. If you really were against the corrupt big government you would vote for a gridlock situtation. That way the government can't screw up anything because they are to busy fighting each other. If you don't think Pelosi/Obama won't abuse power as bad as bush you are nuts. The first law passed will be the fairness doctrine trying to squash any opposition.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Muse
looks like anand likes obama.

Me too. Seriously, McCain's history of melanoma and his advanced age and just being mortal would put the presidency that close to being S. Palin, a very scary thought. That lady is so far from being qualified it's laughable.

Since she is more qualified than Obama I take it you are voting 3rd party. Voting present 143 days is no match for being a governor for almost 2 years.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: quest55720
Your solution is to vote for the exact situation of 6 or the last 8 years?
Here's a solution: why don't you vote Obama/Biden for the White House, and vote a straight Republican ticket for Congress.

Makes more sense than voting back the same party who has been in charge of the White House for the last 8 years for another 4 years, especially now that McCain has wholeheartedly adopted all of Bush's economic, social, and foreign policies.

Since she is more qualified than Obama I take it you are voting 3rd party. Voting present 143 days is no match for being a governor for almost 2 years.
Being mayor of a town of 6000 doesn't qualify her for anything besides a ribbon-cutting ceremony. She managed to leave them in $20+ million dollars in debt as well.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Here's a solution: why don't you vote Obama/Biden for the White House, and vote a straight Republican ticket for Congress.

Makes more sense than voting back the same party who has been in charge of the White House for the last 8 years for another 4 years, especially now that McCain has wholeheartedly adopted all of Bush's economic, social, and foreign policies.

I suppose the democratic congress has nothing to do the situation the country is in? Why not leave them there and leave Obama out of the white house.

Being mayor of a town of 6000 doesn't qualify her for anything besides a ribbon-cutting ceremony. She managed to leave them in $20+ million dollars in debt as well.[/quote]

She's been govenor for 20 months of a state with a population of nearly 700,000 and a budget of 80 Billion dollars is not that bad especially since there is a budget surplus since she has been in charge.

My take on Palin is that Libs are going to attack her and will be more passionate in there arguments because she and McCain are now a serious threat and they are afraid of loosing the election that they wrongly have thought was in the bag. Obviously this poll is not indicative of that but it's not a realistic poll.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I suppose the democratic congress has nothing to do the situation the country is in? Why not leave them there and leave Obama out of the white house.
Why not kick the Republicans out of control in both branches and live the glory days of the Clinton years all over again?

She's been govenor for 20 months of a state with a population of nearly 700,000
Obama has been a state senator for 7 years, and a junior senator for 3.5 years of a state that has a population of 12,800,000. Obama's district when he was a state senator included parts of the Chicago metro area...Chicago alone has 2,800,000 people.

since there is a budget surplus since she has been in charge.
Not hard to do since her job description requires her to cash checks from oil companies. Here's a question: why is a state with a budget surplus taking more federal money per capita than 48 other states? Why did Palin spend federal earmark money to fund so much of her spending agenda?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

She's been govenor for 20 months of a state with a population of nearly 700,000 and a budget of 80 Billion dollars is not that bad especially since there is a budget surplus since she has been in charge.

My take on Palin is that Libs are going to attack her and will be more passionate in there arguments because she and McCain are now a serious threat and they are afraid of loosing the election that they wrongly have thought was in the bag. Obviously this poll is not indicative of that but it's not a realistic poll.

Buzzzzzz ....

Epic Fail

Alaska State Budget
$1.87 billion

Department of Administration
$15.7 million

Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development
$422.2 million

Department of Corrections
$6.2 million

Department of Education and Early Development
$193.5 million

Department of Environmental Conservation
$121.5 million

Department of Fish and Game
$31.4 million

Department of Health and Social Services
$37.9 million

Department of Natural Resources
$32.4 million

Department of Public Safety
$1.7 million

Department of Revenue
$63.9 million

Department of Transportation/Public Facilities
$809.4 million

University of Alaska
$95.8 million

Alaska Court System
$13.2 million

There is an estimated $1 billion in 'earmarks' added to the Alaska State budget - the majority of which ($662.5 million) go to Anchorage ...

10 Biggest Earmarks for Anchorage

$70.6 million -- Sport fish hatchery upgrade, improvements and construction
$46 million -- UAA Health Sciences building
$25.6 million -- Airport, south terminal seismic and retrofit
$25 million -- Fire Island wind farm
$25 million -- Port of Anchorage expansion
$22.1 million -- Dowling Road/Old Seward/Minnesota connections
$20 million -- Seward Highway, Windy Corner safety improvements
$19.5 million -- McLaughlin Youth Center renovation
$18 million -- Airport, taxiway and runway improvements

10 Smallest Earmarks for Anchorage

$1,500 -- King Career Center new signage for shop areas
$1,500 -- Mountain View Community Council spring cleanup
$2,000 -- Fire station No. 7, Wi-Fi equipment
$2,500 -- Mountain View community patrol
$2,500 -- Russian Jack community patrol
$2,500 -- Northeast community patrol
$2,500 -- Nunaka Valley community patrol
$2,500 -- West High library equipment and furniture
$2,500 -- Klatt Elementary, installation of existing video equipment
$3,000 -- Fire station No. 15, Wi-Fi equipment

The Alaska State budget is 208 pages. I'd say 175+ pages cover 'earmarks' (most are a couple thousand dollars but there are a few 'whoppers' in there)

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Buzzzzzz ....

Epic Fail

Alaska State Budget
$1.87 billion
You have to admire his dedication. He's adopted the McCain/Palin method of public speaking...open your mouth first and check the facts later.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Buzzzzzz ....

Epic Fail

Alaska State Budget
$1.87 billion
You have to admire his dedication. He's adopted the McCain/Palin method of public speaking...open your mouth first and check the facts later.

No doubt.

Badnewcastle was simply 'spewing' FUD when a simple google would reveal the actual state budget legislation in a matter of seconds.

But educating oneself and becoming an informed citizen is just too dang difficult :p

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I?m curious, how many people supporting the expansion of government power are also angry over the abuses of government power?

I'm angry over the expansion of government power and the abuses of government power... that's why I'm voting Democrat.

The last 8 years has really shown what a huge, over-powered, corrupt government can do to a country.

Let me predict what your answer will be in 8 years from now...

I'm angry over the expansion of government power and the abuses of government power... that's why I'm voting Republican.

And in 8 years after that...

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
I am torn, the Republicans have done a really good job this year selecting a candidate. He consistently polls well above the Republican brand for good reason.
Here are the key issues for me (even though I am not an American) and my preference
1) Social Issues - Obama (judicial nominees)
2) Energy Strategy - McCain (nuclear)
3) Inspirational/Motivating Leader - Obama (important w/ current economy)
4) Economic Issues - McCain (no tax increases)
5) Foreign Policy - Obama
6) Trade issues - McCain

I think McCain is more likely to reach across the aisle and get things done.
I think Democratic president plus democratic congress will be a dangerous thing just like the republican congress/president.
I think most of the economic issues stem from fighting two wars, high oil prices and huge tax cuts all at once. I think reversing tax cuts and cutting trade in tough economic times is a very bad thing but I also think the war needs to be stopped immediately.

So i am torn...all in all i think I support Obama and hope his connections with the University of Chicago economics department and his economic team (very pro-free market) will keep him away from negative policies like heavy tax increases and cutting of trade agreements. I also think the Republicans NEED to be punished for the last 8 years...so they need to rethink their positions on some things.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre

Let me predict what your answer will be in 8 years from now...

I'm angry over the expansion of government power and the abuses of government power... that's why I'm voting Republican.

And in 8 years after that...

Here's my prediction; the Dems do a decent job, GOP gets an makeover/overhaul, and economists and experts worldwide continue to laugh at the notion of abolishing the Fed, getting back on the gold standard, and ending federal income tax. While Ron Paul goes nowhere and is replaced by more and more sane libertarians.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I'll send a REAL message and vote dmcowen!

If Dave won, he'd immediately start posting conspiracy theories here about himself.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Why not kick the Republicans out of control in both branches and live the glory days of the Clinton years all over again?
The glory days of Clinton happened when Republicans controlled congress.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Xbox 360

Oh shit, wrong forum.

I wanted McCain to win in 2000. Hated Bush. Voting for McCain this year.