Discussion If the debt limit is not raised by the deadline and it crashes the economy, who is responsible?

If we miss the deadline for raising the debt limit in June, who is responsible?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trying not to ask a leading poll question so I'm assuming you all know the details and history of raising the debt limit. Current deadline is this June. You can elaborate the rationale behind your vote.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But that's what you do best.

In these situations the public almost always blames the Republicans.
It's also accurate.

This is very simple - Republicans are the ones demanding policy concessions to not crash the economy. They could stop doing that at any time and the debt limit would be raised and things would be fine.

There's no #bothsides here - there's one side saying 'give us what we want or else'.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Always Rethuglicvnts with the debt limit. Always.

Always the "fiscal conservatives" until it's time to do some spending under their own control.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
It's always like that unfortunately. Just look at Garland's stolen supreme court seat. They will come up with some faux outrage to explain it, but any person with a brain can see through that shit.

The downside is democrats are not good at playing dirty like republicans.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's always like that unfortunately. Just look at Garland's stolen supreme court seat. They will come up with some faux outrage to explain it, but any person with a brain can see through that shit.

The downside is democrats are not good at playing dirty like republicans.

It's not even about playing dirty, they often can't message well when they are in the right and end up looking like idiots

Reactions: Pohemi and Dulanic

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The last time the Republicans fucked with this and shut the government down (I believe the idiot-in-chief at the time said he was happy to do it) we were traveling abroad, and getting back into the US sucked because they were so understaffed that a lot of people missed important connecting flights. The same party is once again responsible, the party of small government, -unless-the-government-is-based-on-Christianity then they force it on you folks.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If Democrats still had the house, the debt ceiling would be raised. Simple as that.
If there is damage to this nation, it is because Republicans gained the power to make that damage occur. Cause and effect of the previous election.
The house may pass a bill to pretend the shoe is on the other foot, but unless Republicans pass a clean bill we should all know what it means.

Was there a time Democrats ever held it up and refused to pass a clean bill? That could come back to bite if that was the case.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Trying not to ask a leading poll question so I'm assuming you all know the details and history of raising the debt limit. Current deadline is this June. You can elaborate the rationale behind your vote.

we are

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Nah there will be enough sane R’s to vote with the Dems to force a discharge petition to force a clean debt ceiling bill. But wonder how Biden’s meeting with party leaders next week will go? Biden should demand repeal of orange monkey tax cuts if he were to agree with some of the cuts in the house bill.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Nah there will be enough sane R’s to vote with the Dems to force a discharge petition to force a clean debt ceiling bill. But wonder how Biden’s meeting with party leaders next week will go? Biden should demand repeal of orange monkey tax cuts if he were to agree with some of the cuts in the house bill.
And then we get to do this all again with the budget.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Rs opening position is a demand, among other things, to repeal the IRA which is his signature policy achievement. Seems less than likely they arrive at a deal.

No, I think we're headed for platinum 1T coinage.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

While I think this might be possible, the one wrinkle that will likely prevent it is I don't think McCarthy would ever allow it to the floor as it will almost assuredly result in the GQP removing him as speaker. He can't have that, so he won't cave.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Trying not to ask a leading poll question...
But that's what you do, time and time again, on a near Tucker Carlson level, "I'm just asking a question..."

Of course, the R's are responsible . . . so much so that even the broader body politic, not know for their insight or sagacity, seem to agree.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Seems relevant, Wisconsin news reporting on the House's "limit, save, grow act of 2023"

I really can't find a policy that's positive for the general population coming from GOP at all anymore. It's just how can we hurt the weakest American's, yes...let's do that

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
While I think this might be possible, the one wrinkle that will likely prevent it is I don't think McCarthy would ever allow it to the floor as it will almost assuredly result in the GQP removing him as speaker. He can't have that, so he won't cave.
Again a discharge petition with a majority of the members, they can force a vote against the objection of the speaker. Sucks no such thing in the senate with the stupid filibuster.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In case anyone forgot the Republicans when Trump blew up the deficit with tax cuts mainly for the rich raised the debt ceiling cleanly along with Democrats.

Why are things different now besides the obvious?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Seems relevant, Wisconsin news reporting on the House's "limit, save, grow act of 2023"

I really can't find a policy that's positive for the general population coming from GOP at all anymore. It's just how can we hurt the weakest American's, yes...let's do that
That's really pro-life, right?

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Again a discharge petition with a majority of the members, they can force a vote against the objection of the speaker. Sucks no such thing in the senate with the stupid filibuster.
I agree it sucks but I strongly suspect the Senate will not block something that is agreeable to the House and Biden.

Reactions: Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

They hate the poors. Who is the poors? Anyone not in the top ~1%

• Love