If someone owes you money, how do you get it back?

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
I know this might not seem like a lot of money but I have a friend that owes me 60 bucks. I basically bought a tent for that amount, she wanted to buy the tent from me, I left the tent with her, and she promised to pay me back but she never did.

I've been trying to contact her to pay me back, but she seems to be ignoring me.

Is there any legal way of remedying this situation?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: KrillBee
I know this might not seem like a lot of money but I have a friend that owes me 60 bucks. I basically bought a tent for that amount, she wanted to buy the tent from me, I left the tent with her, and she promised to pay me back but she never did.

I've been trying to contact her to pay me back, but she seems to be ignoring me.

Is there any legal way of remedying this situation?

Not likely unless you have a contract. You don't have a contract do you? Any witnesses to the transaction?

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
just slash her tires and call it a day

P.S. what attempts have you made at contacting her? by what method(phone, in person, email, IM, etc?), how many times, and how long have you been trying for? these points are necessary for me to tell you what to do.

also how good a friend is it?

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: tasmanian
Go into her house and take it back.

Yup. You show up at her front door and tell her you are either taking the tent back or she can give you the $60 cash. Seems pretty straight forward. No other method is worth it over 60 bucks.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito
Aren't verbal contracts legit up to 5,000 dollars?

Prove it and in the OPs case, the cost to file a legal complaint will cost him more than what he's filing for.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Grab a crowbar, climb on top of their car and start slamming the windshield while at the same time screaming "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS LARRY....THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU...."

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Injury

Yup. You show up at her front door and tell her you are either taking the tent back or she can give you the $60 cash. Seems pretty straight forward. No other method is worth it over 60 bucks.

LoL and then she calls the cops and has you arrested for trespassing.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

They are only legit if you have a 3rd witness and/or the other person admits to making a verbal deal

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Drift3r

LoL and then she calls the cops and has you arrested for trespassing.

She can't have someone arrested just for knocking on her door. Unless she tells them to leave and they refuse. Otherwise the USPS must have high legal bills. Besides, if she's cheap enough to not pay someone $60, she may not own her property (ie apartment), in which case she really can't tell people they are trespassing. Additionally, the cops won't really care unless it's a violent or potentially violent situation. Imagine that story. "He came up to my door and was really civil about asking me for money I owe him and I want him removed from my property!"

Might as well crown himself king of the no ball losers if he doesn't stop by and ask for it.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Contract law is usually a state matter, and laws vary state by state, so there's no real solid answer for that. Also, laws vary by type of contract - the laws regarding real property contracts are generally different from the laws regarding service contracts, for example. Anyway, depending on the circumstances, oral contracts can be binding into the billions - read up on the Pennzoil/Getty Oil/Texaco case in the 1980's for an example.

:roll: at some of the false information in this thread.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't think it matters much what the legal aspects are because it's only $60. Go to her place and ask for the $60 or the tent.

How long since you've had contact with her?

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

Verbal contracts are as legit as written ones, except they are harder to prove (However, certain contracts cannot be verbal, like the sale of land).

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Drift3r

They are only legit if you have a 3rd witness and/or the other person admits to making a verbal deal

Not true. You can also provide evidence of the contract by the actions of the parties.

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Besides, if she's cheap enough to not pay someone $60, she may not own her property (ie apartment), in which case she really can't tell people they are trespassing.

Do you really think that anyone can just come into your apartment and you are legally powerless to make them leave? Having an apartment gives you the right of possession of the apartment. Even the landlord can be guilty of trespassing if he enters your apartment without permission (or without an expressed term in the lease).

MotionMan