If someone cuts your brake line, and you lose the ability to brake your car...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Yes, as said above the emergency brake uses a cable. However, if someone knows enough about cars to cut the brake lines, then there's no reason then wouldn't just cut the e-brake cable too.

I KNEW I forgot something..... GAH!

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Originally posted by: schneiderguy
i dont think it will stop the car. ive driven 10 miles with the ebrake on :eek:

i think you're supposed to put the car in neutral to stop it if your brakes fail.

Putting in neutral isn't going to slow you down much..at all.

Downshift + ebrake FTW.
PLUS, in an emergency situation, turn off the ignition, then you'll get FULL engine braking and your e-brake will still work -- just remember you're gonna' have to manhandle your now non-power-assisted steering.

Turn it off and immediately back to 'on' without starting again or your steering will lock. Bad situation..

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Can you do the same thing to a new Mercedes, or a car that doesn't "mechnically" brake your car but rather sends an electronic signal to provide the mechanics to stop it?

cessna152

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2002
I had the brakes fade on me while driving home in the rain at night. Was very very scary. I kept my hand near the e-brake handle the rest of the way home. In retrospect, I probably should have pulled off and called a tow truck...

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

i think you're supposed to put the car in neutral to stop it if your brakes fail.

Downshift + ebrake FTW.
PLUS, in an emergency situation, turn off the ignition, then you'll get FULL engine braking and your e-brake will still work -- just remember you're gonna' have to manhandle your now non-power-assisted steering.

Turn it off and immediately back to 'on' without starting again or your steering will lock. Bad situation..
Only if you turn your steering wheel full lock, son.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

i've said this many times now OFF does not equal LOCK. on my explorer and my jeep the ignition goes ACC>LOCK>OFF>ON>START

are foreign cars different or something? i can start and stop my engine as i please without locking the stearing column. in fact because i drive an automatic i CANNOT lock the stearing column without the transmission in park. even with a manual theres no reason you should have to turn the ignition to the lock position.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

i've said this many times now OFF does not equal LOCK. on my explorer and my jeep the ignition goes ACC>LOCK>OFF>ON>START

are foreign cars different or something? i can start and stop my engine as i please without locking the stearing column. in fact because i drive an automatic i CANNOT lock the stearing column without the transmission in park. even with a manual theres no reason you should have to turn the ignition to the lock position.

All I own are Toyotas, and I'm almost postive they lock on accessory. I have no 'lock' position -- just off, acc, on and start.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

Mine will lock without turning full lock. Perhaps Toyotas are different. I'm not making stuff up, if that's what you're implying.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

Mine will lock without turning full lock. Perhaps Toyotas are different. I'm not making stuff up, if that's what you're implying.

He's just implying you're too young to know your sh!*.... ;)

AgentJean

Banned
Jun 7, 2006
If your break lines are cut and the Ebreak doesn't stop you, just throw the car in park.

Just make sure your inertia dampeners are set to full power before doing so.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Kenazo

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

Must be. Heaven forbid I'm actually somewhat familiar with my vehicle.. :p

Y'know, I'll have to check tomorrow to be 100% sure; it'd be awfully embarassing if I was wrong. :eek:

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

Y'know, I'll have to check tomorrow to be 100% sure; it'd be awfully embarassing if I was wrong. :eek:
:) It's the internet. No one will ever know if you're wrong, unless you bring it up.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Shutting off the power FTW! You will lose power steering, but that's not really a big deal.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Many people don't put their e-brake on hard enough when they set it. If it'son fully, your car won't be moving at all. If your brakes die, you shoudl basically engage the e-brake slowly a bit at a time.

You shoudl NOT put the car in neutral as that will just make you coast. You should downshift in a manual car or shift to 2 or 1 if you have those in an automatic car. I wouldn't turn off the engine because you'll need to steer when you get ready to plow into something...

Sep 29, 2004
I found out the scary way.

1996 hevy truck had a leak i nteh hydrolics.

Went to stop and I freaked out. I didn't stop. Turns out if you press the peddle to the floor it is tied into the parking brake as a back up. I was in such a panic, if it wern't set up that way, I would have slid into traffic.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

:) It's the internet. No one will ever know if you're wrong, unless you bring it up.

And if I bring it up and want to cancel it later, it was my 13yo cousin on my computer, right? :D

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000

And if I bring it up and want to cancel it later, it was my 13yo cousin on my computer, right? :D

Precisely, I think you're safe.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

Nah, come to think of it, you're probably correct. Of all the vehicles I've had, some did lock up short of full lock. My bad, good additon. :eek:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentJean
If your break lines are cut and the Ebreak doesn't stop you, just throw the car in park.

Just make sure your inertia dampeners are set to full power before doing so.

Structural integrity field too, or else you're going to have some warp coils rip themselves out of their bulkheads.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Hmmm... no one mentioned it, but I was pretty sure that they haven't been called "emergency brakes" by the automotive industry for quite a few years. I believe they're referred to as "parking brakes."

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

All I own are Toyotas, and I'm almost postive they lock on accessory. I have no 'lock' position -- just off, acc, on and start.

They don't lock at "ACC" position. As soon as the key is turned slightly away from "OFF", the steering wheel will remain unlocked, providing the ignition lock mechanism is in good condition.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
down shift into a lower gear + emergency brake. Although that kind of braking only works on manuals.. Maybe on automatics if you turn off over drive?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: goodoptics

Downshift + ebrake FTW.

They don't lock at "ACC" position. As soon as the key is turned slightly away from "OFF", the steering wheel will remain unlocked, providing the ignition lock mechanism is in good condition.

I could've sworn my truck just did yesterday. Slightly away from 'off' is 'ACC'. :p

Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI
down shift into a lower gear + emergency brake. Although that kind of braking only works on manuals.. Maybe on automatics if you turn off over drive?

You can still downshift an automatic.