If Sarah Palin's Family Is Fair Game . . .

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Lets try this again since so many people complained and whined.....

Multple sites, abc, msnbc, cbn, dallasnewspaper have all had articles about Palins husband and the old DUI charge. I don't understand why this matters, but since they wanted to throw it out there why not throw out old info on the party they back so much. Oh wait why would they want to do that.

Article

Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate Joe Biden's lobbyist son and brother are accused of defrauding a former business partner and an investor of millions of dollars. R. Hunter Biden is one of Senator Joe Biden's (D-DE) three children. He was a founding partner of Oldaker, Biden & Belair, a D.C. lawyer-lobbyist shop, served as a Senior Vice President at a major financial services firm and most recently was a Presidential appointee at the U.S. Department of Commerce, where he served as the Executive Director for e-Commerce Policy Coordination under Transportation Secretary" Norman Y. Mineta during the Clinton administration... In 2003, he got a $100,000 annual retainer from MBNA to advise the company on 'the Internet and privacy law. MBNA is Senator Biden's biggest contributor. (Muckety) The Washington Post reported: A son and a brother of Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) are accused in two lawsuits of defrauding a former business partner and an investor of millions of dollars in a hedge fund deal that went sour, court records show. The Democratic vice presidential candidate's son Hunter, 38, and brother James, 59, assert instead that their former partner defrauded them by misrepresenting his experience in the hedge fund industry and recommending that they hire a lawyer with felony convictions. The legal actions have been playing out in New York State Supreme Court since 2007, and they focus on Hunter and James Biden's involvement in Paradigm Companies LLC, a hedge fund group. Hunter Biden, a Washington lobbyist, briefly served as president of the firm. A lawsuit filed by their former partner Anthony Lotito Jr. asserts in court papers that the deal was crafted to get Hunter Biden out of lobbying because his father was concerned about the impact it would have on his bid for the White House. Biden was running for the Democratic nomination at the time the suit was filed. The suit against Hunter Biden was previously reported in January 2007. Joe Biden does not talk much about his son's lobbyist background. Hunter Biden lobbied for clients that paid his firm at least $380,000 in the first six months of this year, federal records show. This was cross posted at Founding Bloggers. Dan Riehl has more on the Biden Amtrak connections.

Article

Sen. Biden?s Daughter Arrested in Altercation August 04, 2002 in print edition A-15 The daughter of Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of obstructing a police officer outside a Chicago bar. Ashley Blazer Biden, 21, of Wilmington, Del., was with a group of people on a North Side street where several bars are located when someone else threw a bottle at an officer, police said. When police tried to arrest another person, Biden blocked the officer?s path and made intimidating statements, officer JoAnn Taylor said. Biden was later released and is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 20. Sen. Biden?s spokeswoman, Margaret Aitken, declined to comment, calling it a private, family matter.

At least reveal the light on both sides instead of trying to just shine it at one.

Locked until you pm the mod account with a more straightforward title for you thread.

Since you are off-line, I have taken the liberty of editing your title so that it DIRECTLY indicates its content.

You are free to re-edit it, as long as you make some mention of Biden or his family in it.

Perknose
Senior AT Mod

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Are you seriously trying to introduce into the debate over who should be president Joe Biden's daughter getting drunk and being unruly to a police offer 6 years ago? Is this really happening?

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
No not debating. Just that both sides should be out in public. I seen the DUI on different channels on TV on the other night, now Im at least reaching out to a few people.

Just trying to inform.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mooseracing
No not debating. Just that both sides should be out in public. I seen the DUI on different channels on TV on the other night, now Im at least reaching out to a few people.

Just trying to inform.

:thumbsup:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Just trying to inform.

This would be called the media bias that our friends here says doesn't exist :laugh:

And as I just posted in another thread,

These views -- taken from a Sept. 8-11 Gallup Poll conducted mostly before the airing of Palin's interview with ABC News' Charlie Gibson -- are sharply partisan. A majority of Republicans (54%), compared with only 29% of independents and 18% of Democrats, think Palin is getting a raw deal from the press. Three times as many Democrats as Republicans (34% vs. 11%) think coverage of her has been too positive.

The percentage of Americans saying they have a great deal or fair amount of confidence in the media when it comes to fairness and accuracy is now just 43%, the lowest level seen over the past decade (in 2004, it was a similar 44%). At 21%, the percentage of Americans saying they have no confidence at all in the media is a record high.

Bottom Line
During the Democratic primary season, Hillary Clinton's campaign representatives issued steady complaints that their candidate wasn't getting the same favorable treatment that Obama was receiving from the media. That charge seemed to filter into public opinion in July, when Gallup found as many Americans saying media coverage of Obama was too positive as said it was about right. This included 60% of Republicans and 22% of Democrats.

That sentiment has simmered down somewhat, although there is a persistent tilt toward believing Obama is getting a break from the media.

Today, there is much more controversy among Americans about the media's coverage of Palin. More than half are dissatisfied with the nature of coverage of her, saying it is either too positive or too negative. This seems to reflect the raging political pundit debate over whether the media's commentary on Palin's governmental qualifications and personal life has gone too far.

Whether valid, or merely a political tactic, the election-year shots at the media for biased coverage seem to be eroding public confidence in the entire news media as a reputable institution.

Feb 10, 2000
It strikes me as odd to make a big deal about this, but in any case I don't believe it would behoove the Palins to do so. Track apparently joined the Army under threat of going to jail for aggravated vandalism and has a history of oxycontin use, and Bristol was allegedly a promiscuous heavy drinker and potsmoker before getting knocked up at age 17. Frankly I don't think this kind of thing is fair game, and haven't seen much coverage of Todd Palin's DUI. I can't imagine DUIs are THAT big a deal in the eyes of the electorate in that we have twice elected a Presidential ticket with three DUIs between the President and VP.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Don, what kind of proof do you have to back up those statements about her family?

BTW I don't get the DUI thing either. It is not like he was caught last week or has multiple DUI arrests.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
At least reveal the light on both sides instead of trying to just shine it at one.

Are the Republicans trying to bring back the Fairness Doctrine this time? And I suppose this time it should apply to every media outlet but Fox and Clear Channel, eh?

3 things here:
1. 'The media' has no obligation to dig dirt on both sides. They report what they find and think will sell.
2. There is no shortage of wingnut-friendly media, even from mainstream sources.
3. No one cares about Todd's DUI anymore than they care about Biden's daughter's DUI, so quit whining.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Only Republican family matters should be dug into because only they have family values.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Is this the second or the third time that you have posted essentially the same thread? Whining about a supposed unfair attack on Palin (apparently her husband, the First Dude, had a DUI in his youth) in order to do blanket smears on nearly every relative of Biden's.

Face it, the GOP goal of focusing this election on personalities and gossip instead of issues is failing as the transparent and devisive diversion that it is.

Let it go. Find a new talking point, this one is pathetic.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
This is the Karl Rove tactic of the false dichotomy.

The OP throws out ""Multple sites, abc, msnbc, cbn, dallasnewspaper have all had articles about Palins husband and the old DUI charge"" as a precursor to launch into Biden's family.

Instead of telling the Lie, why doesn't the OP link to the stories from ""Multple sites, abc, msnbc, cbn, dallasnewspaper ...""

Because it's BS. The OP is all about the hackery.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Perknose

Just trying to inform.

:roll: As if anyone believes you...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Vic

Are the Republicans trying to bring back the Fairness Doctrine this time? And I suppose this time it should apply to every media outlet but Fox and Clear Channel, eh?

3 things here:
1. 'The media' has no obligation to dig dirt on both sides. They report what they find and think will sell.
2. There is no shortage of wingnut-friendly media, even from mainstream sources.
3. No one cares about Todd's DUI anymore than they care about Biden's daughter's DUI, so quit whining.

1. Oh really? So it's OK with you if they selectively dig dirt?
2. Yes, there is media on both sides. However the traditional "MSM" is left a huge void which FOX and Talk Radio filled. From a broad view - I'd say the media is somewhat balanced but that doesn't mean the traditional "MSM" is balanced.
3. Right, no one cared....yet they kept bringing it up in the days after her pick. Sure, they didn't dwell on it but they still kept mentioning it. But on a different level you are correct, I don't think 99.9% of voters care about it.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

3 things here:

2. Yes, there is media on both sides. However the traditional "MSM" is left a huge void which FOX and Talk Radio filled. From a broad view - I'd say the media is somewhat balanced but that doesn't mean the traditional "MSM" is balanced.
3. Right, no one cared....yet they kept bringing it up in the days after her pick. Sure, they didn't dwell on it but they still kept mentioning it. But on a different level you are correct, I don't think 99.9% of voters care about it.

The McCain campaign not only released the information on Todd's DWI but they also released the information regarding the daughter's pregnancy.

So were they 'selectively digging dirt' on themselves or was it the false dichotomy ?

I vote on the latter ... as exemplified by the OP's multiple attempts to make this pig fly.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yes they released information about the daughters precnancy mr. partisan hack, because your wonderful non-biased media sources started picking up the traffic from your loon websites about the retarded "picture contraversy" and "demands" that she should get a dna test to prove the babies mommy.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

3 things here:

1. Yes, it's called a 'free market.' Don't like it, switch the channel. Plus, to insist on a revival of the Fairness Doctrine is to further the false dilemma that there are only 2 political sides.
2. Fox and Clear Channel are just as much a part of the 'MSM' as NBC and CNN. I know the wingnuts hate to admit it with their constant whining about the 'liberal media,' but it's true.
3. Who is 'they?' The OP who is using it as an excuse to bring up things just as irrelevant about Biden?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
Yes they released information about the daughters precnancy mr. partisan hack, because your wonderful non-biased media sources started picking up the traffic from your loon websites about the retarded "picture contraversy" and "demands" that she should get a dna test to prove the babies mommy.

Those calls came from spineless internet board posters and blogs, not the mainstream media. The media got interested in the Palin baby issue because it was such a big deal online.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I guess because a shotgun wedding is more dramatic than a dui. :p In all seriousness though, in this election cycle, I've seen Sarah Palin speak many times of her family and even trot them out on stage at the convention, but I cannot recall Biden doing the same. That may be part of the difference between them. I also believe that the irony of what happened with Bristol Palin isn't lost on the public as the Republicans are typically the ones who are the "family values" people (anti-abortion, abstinence-only sex ed, etc.) I'd rather they not cover their families at all and focus on real issues.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
Lets try this again since so many people complained and whined.....

Multple sites, abc, msnbc, cbn, dallasnewspaper have all had articles about Palins husband and the old DUI charge. I don't understand why this matters, but since they wanted to throw it out there why not throw out old info on the party they back so much. Oh wait why would they want to do that.

Article

Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate Joe Biden's lobbyist son and brother are accused of defrauding a former business partner and an investor of millions of dollars. R. Hunter Biden is one of Senator Joe Biden's (D-DE) three children. He was a founding partner of Oldaker, Biden & Belair, a D.C. lawyer-lobbyist shop, served as a Senior Vice President at a major financial services firm and most recently was a Presidential appointee at the U.S. Department of Commerce, where he served as the Executive Director for e-Commerce Policy Coordination under Transportation Secretary" Norman Y. Mineta during the Clinton administration... In 2003, he got a $100,000 annual retainer from MBNA to advise the company on 'the Internet and privacy law. MBNA is Senator Biden's biggest contributor. (Muckety) The Washington Post reported: A son and a brother of Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) are accused in two lawsuits of defrauding a former business partner and an investor of millions of dollars in a hedge fund deal that went sour, court records show. The Democratic vice presidential candidate's son Hunter, 38, and brother James, 59, assert instead that their former partner defrauded them by misrepresenting his experience in the hedge fund industry and recommending that they hire a lawyer with felony convictions. The legal actions have been playing out in New York State Supreme Court since 2007, and they focus on Hunter and James Biden's involvement in Paradigm Companies LLC, a hedge fund group. Hunter Biden, a Washington lobbyist, briefly served as president of the firm. A lawsuit filed by their former partner Anthony Lotito Jr. asserts in court papers that the deal was crafted to get Hunter Biden out of lobbying because his father was concerned about the impact it would have on his bid for the White House. Biden was running for the Democratic nomination at the time the suit was filed. The suit against Hunter Biden was previously reported in January 2007. Joe Biden does not talk much about his son's lobbyist background. Hunter Biden lobbied for clients that paid his firm at least $380,000 in the first six months of this year, federal records show. This was cross posted at Founding Bloggers. Dan Riehl has more on the Biden Amtrak connections.

Article

Sen. Biden?s Daughter Arrested in Altercation August 04, 2002 in print edition A-15 The daughter of Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of obstructing a police officer outside a Chicago bar. Ashley Blazer Biden, 21, of Wilmington, Del., was with a group of people on a North Side street where several bars are located when someone else threw a bottle at an officer, police said. When police tried to arrest another person, Biden blocked the officer?s path and made intimidating statements, officer JoAnn Taylor said. Biden was later released and is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 20. Sen. Biden?s spokeswoman, Margaret Aitken, declined to comment, calling it a private, family matter.

Locked until you pm the mod account with a more straightforward title for you thread.

Since you are off-line, I have taken the liberty of editing your title so that it DIRECTLY indicates its content.

You are free to re-edit it, as long as you make some mention of Biden or his family in it.

Perknose
Senior AT Mod

I think for the most part the general public already knows that Joe Biden is in it for the money and cannot be trusted.....

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose

Just trying to inform.

:roll: As if anyone believes you...

Id be willing to bet more would believe him than someone like you.