If Quake were current gen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Quake 3 was so damn good. I remember being okay at it before I got a voodoo 3 GPU, and then I was just dominant because the game was actually responsive. Of course, it was all jumping around with a rocket or rail gun, but it was still amazingly addictive.

I thought UT and Quake 2 were way better. When they took away one hit rocket kills in q3 it kind of ruined it for me.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
I thought UT and Quake 2 were way better. When they took away one hit rocket kills in q3 it kind of ruined it for me.

Hm, it might be a matter of timing for me. I wasn't into PC gaming until college (98-02), and then not into multiplayer until junior year or so. As I recall, Q3 was kind of peaking in 2000.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hm, it might be a matter of timing for me. I wasn't into PC gaming until college (98-02), and then not into multiplayer until junior year or so. As I recall, Q3 was kind of peaking in 2000.

It's def a matter of timing. Q3 was undoubtedly huge - but so was UT, which was the new kid on the block, and it felt a lot more like Q2 than Q3 did.

IMO it was really counterstrike that changed everything - the quake/UT style shooter basically died after CS. UT2004 was the last gasp.

COD4, the game that really hit it big - was basically the next gen of CS. The roots of discontent lie past that point. But between Q3, CS, BF1942 and UT03/04 - the shift to FPS as MP first, SP second was already well underway - and entirely on the PC side. Consoles were probably the only thing keeping single player FPS alive. But that wasn't going to last in the modern, online connected console era - campaigns are simply not the focus of most FPS games nowadays. The blame for that really can't be laid at the feet of consoles and/or a single series. It's just not worth it for anyone to do more than a short, simple, linear campaign when 80% of the reason why people buy your game is MP. Console gamers haven't really taken to 100% MP games....but it hasn't really been tried yet, either.

The real tragedy is that somewhere along the way, the few remaining SP focused FPS devs saw the success of such games, and misattributed it to those simple campaigns. Still, I can't think of too many SP focused, super linear FPSes that were successful, so I dont fully understand the rage. (pun intended) :)

But MP focused games with short, linear campaigns? Here to stay, and for good reason - the priorities are aligned with what gamers want. All that being said, if someone could figure out how to bring back the UT/Quake style in a modern way, especially in MP....that would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
quakelive sucks. i just wanted to make sure everyone knew that before posting links.

It's def a matter of timing. Q3 was undoubtedly huge - but so was UT, which was the new kid on the block, and it felt a lot more like Q2 than Q3 did.

IMO it was really counterstrike that changed everything - the quake/UT style shooter basically died after CS. UT2004 was the last gasp.

COD4, the game that really hit it big - was basically the next gen of CS. The roots of discontent lie past that point. But between Q3, CS, BF1942 and UT03/04 - the shift to FPS as MP first, SP second was already well underway - and entirely on the PC side. Consoles were probably the only thing keeping single player FPS alive. But that wasn't going to last in the modern, online connected console era - campaigns are simply not the focus of most FPS games nowadays. The blame for that really can't be laid at the feet of consoles and/or a single series. It's just not worth it for anyone to do more than a short, simple, linear campaign when 80% of the reason why people buy your game is MP. Console gamers haven't really taken to 100% MP games....but it hasn't really been tried yet, either.

The real tragedy is that somewhere along the way, the few remaining SP focused FPS devs saw the success of such games, and misattributed it to those simple campaigns. Still, I can't think of too many SP focused, super linear FPSes that were successful, so I dont fully understand the rage. (pun intended) :)

But MP focused games with short, linear campaigns? Here to stay, and for good reason - the priorities are aligned with what gamers want. All that being said, if someone could figure out how to bring back the UT/Quake style in a modern way, especially in MP....that would be pretty awesome.

agree. though they keep trying to revive it. Tribes Ascend, Nexuiz.
Nexuiz uses the Cry engine 3, but sadly NO ONE is playing. 8 servers, all dead since its release on Steam. (not talking about the old freeware Nexuiz)

i don't mind UT3, plenty of servers, enough people on there to have some fun and i rarely play on the same map twice. i'm always playing on some map i've never seen before which is refreshing. bombing run is my favorite but not as popular it seems. i do very good in UT3, but no one chats, votes on maps, no voip, no sense of pride in doing good. I plan to play more of Tribes Ascend, hopefully theres enough players consistantly, to make it enjoyable.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It is the DRM that pisses me off to be honest. I just bought Max Payne 3 and the crappy always online DRM they use sucks. I had go sign up for an account, and part of the terms of service was that they could track your internet usage and sell it to third parties!

You could turn off your internet and still play the game.