If President Bush manages to achieve a peace deal between Israel and Palestine...

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
His entire presidency will be justified in my eyes at least. He will have removed the single biggest threat to US national security if he manages this.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
The biggest threat to national security is from within. Dont get me wrong, the roadmap to peace is a great idea, but there are plenty of things within our shores that pose a greater danger.

Please dont take this as a flame tnitsuj, its just a statement of my opinion

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: rudeguy
The biggest threat to national security is from within. Dont get me wrong, the roadmap to peace is a great idea, but there are plenty of things within our shores that pose a greater danger.

Yeah, but we can hope he gets voted out of office in 2004 ;) :D

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I would bet everything that I own and everything I will ever earn that Bush will never broker a lasting peace deal with those guys. Too many people don't want peace.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Sharon is willing to go thru the motions to help get bush elected to another 4 years. Its shadow boxing at best, while the world would be better served if both went into exile yesterday.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Yep, it would simply KILL some our members to see success in that region.

Hey, if he manages to see the Palestinians get their own state, would people here accuse him of nation building?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: mastertech01

Hey, if he manages to see the Palestinians get their own state, would people here accuse him of nation building?

Personally I would like to see it happen, but I am not going to hold my breath.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
It is a longshot in my opinion. I hope I am wrong about that though and that President Bush achieves this, but then again, I dont really care who pushes this along. This Israel/Palestine conflict has gone on far too long and with too great a toll on both sides.
-------------
edit: grammar

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

If he manages to get them their own state, then some of those same members would have to admit the fallability of the UN.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DaiShan

If he manages to get them their own state, then some of those same members would have to admit the fallability of the UN.

We would eh?
rolleye.gif

No one claims the UN is infallible, it is the Anti-UN types who need to realize that making agreements makes one obligated to follow the agreement.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: DaiShan

We would eh?
rolleye.gif

No one claims the UN is infallible, it is the Anti-UN types who need to realize that making agreements makes one obligated to follow the agreement.

Exactly - and the when that obligation is broken 12 straight years, it is time for action ;)

But on the original intent of the thread - I sincerely hope we can help those people settle their differences. Not because of what it'll do for Bush or the US, but because those people need a break from bloodshed.

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
His entire presidency will be justified in my eyes at least. He will have removed the single biggest threat to US national security if he manages this.

Originally posted by: rudeguy

I can agree with much of both sides of this.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
His well published frustration with Sharon is encouraging. It is the first thing bush has done that I somewhat agree with. It's still not going to buy my vote next year though. The man is an idiot and we have far too many problems at home.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I commend George Bush for taking the roadmap this far, you cant understate the signifigance if this works and a Palestinian state is achieved.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
(not a flame) what's different between this attempt and the billions of others ever since israel became a nation?

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
If it works I would be surprised. Considering they've been fighting for the past century!

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The biggest threat to national security is from within
I gotta disagree with that. I think recent events have definitely shown that the diggest threats are from without.

He will have removed the single biggest threat to US national security if he manages this.
Yep.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
The biggest threat to national security is from within
I gotta disagree with that. I think recent events have definitely shown that the diggest threats are from without.

He will have removed the single biggest threat to US national security if he manages this.
Yep.

I think a definition of "National Security" should be adopted. Certainly Outsiders are most likely to violently attack the US, but can they Overthrow the Government or subjugate the people? Doubtful, but how the Institutions and/or the Citizens react is what could undermine the US. I believe Bin Laden knew this and counted on the Internal pressures to cause the most damage.

The US, Canada, and other countries live in Dream Worlds, worlds far removed from most in this world. If and when Reality strikes, their true character is revealed. It is of utmost importance for the Citizenry to remain engaged with those outside, if not the Institutions. Failure to do so may result in heinous crimes by those who claim to be the Standards bearers.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: PipBoy
I would bet everything that I own and everything I will ever earn that Bush will never broker a lasting peace deal with those guys. Too many people don't want peace.

Yeah, that is how the situation looks to me too.