If oil prices fall what excuse will the corporations use to raise gasoline prices?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
crude-oil-prices-should-remain-soft-in-near-term-david-lennox.jpg

They can't afford two yachts this year? Shorty is suspicious of every explanation they give.

And has anyone been seriously affected by rising fuel prices? Like, you cant do something you used to.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Can't say rising gasoline price has affected our everyday life, but it will definitely affect our decision when buying a new car.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
They can't afford two yachts this year? Shorty is suspicious of every explanation they give.

And has anyone been seriously affected by rising fuel prices? Like, you cant do something you used to.

Is that link correct? Nothing about Oil or Gas???

As far as gas prices go - they are up over the lows in the midst of the pandemic, when 10s of millions weren't driving - duh!

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

On a side note, as oil prices have risen, the value of gold and silver has decreased. Further more, the value of the Euro compared to the USD (EUR/USD) has been declining.
EURUSD_2021-11-26_16-51-05.png

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Gas prices need to remain high. Less pollution, less carbon emission, more EVs, more hybrids, less driving, more car pooling, more using public transit, more walking and biking, less traffic congestion.

Prices are $5/gallon where I am. I want it to stay that way.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i'm not sure very many people on this board will notice, but i certainly know people do notice, because they barely make ends meet - every penny counts when you're paycheck to paycheck or close to it.

the thing that kills me is that people forget oil is a globally traded commodity and subject to supply and demand changes. covid shuts the world down? the price of oil literally went negative for a moment! things start opening back up? the price of oil rises due to increased demand.

also, since we love big trucks and not fuel efficient vehicles, that only compounds our sensitivity to gas prices.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
i'm not sure very many people on this board will notice, but i certainly know people do notice, because they barely make ends meet - every penny counts when you're paycheck to paycheck or close to it.
I do understand that. The poor, and even lower middle-income families need help in these times. Not sure what programs we have for this other than heating-oil subsidies in some states. Probably not in my state, we don't even require kindergarten (!!).

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
If oil prices fall what excuse will the corporations use to raise gasoline prices?
Ummm...I know!!! I know!!!. Transportation costs! It's the same excuse that every mega retailer, grocier, manufacturer, and small business has been using over the past 8 months so why not big oil?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
"Fuck you. That's why. If you have any questions you can direct them to that brick wall over there."

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I live five miles away from where I work. I gas up every five weeks. So no, I haven't felt the effects in a direct kind of way. Lately, I put myself on standby status where my boss calls me in only when there's some job that requires close tolerance machining work or troubleshooting unique mechanical related problems that require panic suppressing intervention.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is that link correct? Nothing about Oil or Gas???

As far as gas prices go - they are up over the lows in the midst of the pandemic, when 10s of millions weren't driving - duh!
Read the article. They go in on oil prices eventually.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

Oil has been ten dollars a gallon in much of Western Europe for years. Time for Americans to get used to it and stop fighting measures to move to a green economy.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Oil has been ten dollars a gallon in much of Western Europe for years. Time for Americans to get used to it and stop fighting measures to move to a green economy.
We already pay the actual whatever-per-gallon price, we just pay the difference between the pump price and the actual price in tax breaks for energy producers.

Well, the working class does anyway.

The moneyed class writes the rules so they get a tax break because they write the rules because they're the moneyed class because they write the rules and down the spiral we go.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

I guess the wrong article is opening up for me on two different browsers. I searched the page for 'oil' and for 'gas' and the searches came up empty. <shrug>

Matt390

Jun 7, 2019
OPEC is the cartel and its sovereign nation states, not "Corporations", that control that. Corporations do control the refineries in the US, but its government regulations that make that monopoly.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I honestly haven't noticed fuel costs rising much. Or at least not enough to care.
Yea, dont know about other parts of the country, but here in Minnesota, prices have only risen back to close to what they were before the pandemic.

Despite what some posters in this forum say, I am concerned about inflation in general and the supply chain, but gas prices are one of my lowest concerns. Of course if the Trumpers want gas prices like when Donnie was president, all we have to do is lock down again.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

the thing that kills me is that people forget oil is a globally traded commodity and subject to supply and demand changes. covid shuts the world down? the price of oil literally went negative for a moment! things start opening back up? the price of oil rises due to increased demand.

also, since we love big trucks and not fuel efficient vehicles, that only compounds our sensitivity to gas prices.
Na, ah. Got to be Biden's fault, Fox tells me so.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Most corporations are oil consumers so they'll want low prices. It would be the oil companies that want high prices.